z

Young Writers Society

Working with Anthromorphic Animals.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 am
pandacary says...

So the setting of my story is a world filled with anthromorphic animals, or Animals as they go by (emphasis on the capital A) and I'm having a problem with the main character. You see, he's a Donkey, and he has hooves. Should I A) Let him use his mouth to write, fight, etc. B) Try to use his hooves or perhaps change the anatomy of the hoof of a Donkey C) Just give him hands.

My friend says I should use the mouth idea but I'd prefer if he stuck with hooves. What do you guys think?
Nerdfighters UNITE! DFTBA!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

What if he had a writing system using his hooves? Such as coating the end with something that leaves a mark if he rubs it against stone/paper/whatever. It would probably be a shorthanded script just for hoofed animals, but with the number of hoofed animals it's probably a language certain species know about.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 pm
pandacary says...

Hmmmm.... perhaps. This story is still in the works so that might be a good idea.
Nerdfighters UNITE! DFTBA!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:57 pm
Stori says...

That's a good idea. In Dinotopia they have a whole "footprint alphabet" so the dinosaurs can write things down. For fighting, hooves and teeth work perfectly well.

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:00 pm
phantazma says...

The hoof-marks sound like a good idea, but what if he sat on his bottom and grasped a pencil between his front hooves by putting his front legs together? I don't know much about animal anatomy, so it may not be physically possible for him to do it, but it was just an idea I had that I thought I'd share.
"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Perhaps he can simply morph into a more humanoid character, the process of which will give him hands for any needed time?
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey