z

Young Writers Society

Waiting Rooms

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:31 pm
JFW1415 says...

I've only been in a few, and a long time ago. I need to know everything about waiting rooms. All the details that will make my writing better. I don't need facts, I need opinions. What does it feel like to be in there?

To give you an idea of what I want, this is what my mom said:

Everyone's comparing themselves to the others. They'll look at one family and think that that one is so meager that they shouldn't be there. Then they'll see someone else who's really bad off, and they'll feel guilty for coming.

So, what do you guys think? Oh, and what's it like seeing injured people in there? (Isn't that only in the ER waiting room?) Is the main waiting room just healthy people?

I need everything, people. I want it to be realistic, but I can't get to a hospital, and if I did, I wouldn't be feeling the dread that something bad was happening. *Knocks on wood*

Thanks!

~JFW1415

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 pm
tinny says...

The last time I went it was to A&E because I broke my toe. There were other people sitting around and some of them were quite hurt with bloody heads and the like, but because I was still classed as a child by the NHS, and because it was a quick thing to fix I was seen first.

I once went to see a GP at the hospital out of hours because I was very ill, and because we'd been refered we didn't have to wait at all that time; just went to reception and were lead straight through.

Waiting rooms don't tend to bother me much. Normally I only go see a doctor if I'm really ill and my teachers have told me not to come in and to go see someone about it, so I don't really feel guilty about being there--I have just as much a right as anyone.

I don't think you tend to get healthy people in a waiting room unless they've come with those that are ill; otherwise what would be the point in waiting there?

I'm not sure how relevant I am ><" My only experience is with the NHS, and I tend to go to my local surgary rather than a hospital when I need anything.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 pm
Emerson says...

I'm not sure what kind of waiting room you want, haha. I've been mostly in pediatrician waiting rooms and therapist waiting rooms. The therapy ones are fun, though often times scary. I like watching other people and trying to figure out what their problem is, haha. They have lots of magazines. There is always hopeful art work on the walls, or nice quotes of inspiration and love! Bright colors, pretty positiveness, and perhaps a fake plant in the corner. Oh, and they tend to smell strange. Like plastic or fake wood, or maybe the carpet. But not bad, just strange.

I'm not sure that was what you were looking for at all.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:56 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

The only waiting rooms I've ever been in have had the dullest magazines ever, been really quiet (everyone whispering practically) and had really uncomfortable chairs (not great when you're seeing the doctor for back problems... :roll: )

I think there tends to be an awkward atmosphere, because everyone is all anxious about whatever they're there for, and there's something about a hospital that's just really uncomfortable and quiet, and don't forget that antiseptic smell. :wink:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

Reviews: 1
Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:22 am
hellodaydream says...

I hate the ER waiting room, the last time I was there was when blood just started to gush out of my nose and my mouth.... They had to put this pincher thingy on my nose and take my blood pressure, it stopped about 10 minute after we got there.

Anyways, while I was waiting I felt really dirty because of all the pale looking people coughing and sneezing. Also, almost every time I'm in any kind of waiting room there's always a baby there. This makes me feel really, really bad. I hate seeing sick kids, parents don't deserve that.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:00 am
JFW1415 says...

Thanks people! That all really helped!

Am I insane, or is there a different kind of waiting room? I remember one in the front of a hospital, where you can wait for a baby to be born, an operation to be over, etc. I didn't see any sick people in there...was it just odd that it was all healthy people?

Keep it coming, guys. EVERYTHING helps. Even what you said, Suz. :wink:

~JFW1415

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 am
Emerson says...

Well I think they would have a patient waiting room and then a visit/family room as well? So as to keep the sick and the healthy apart? Hehe, but I don't know! I've never been to hospitals often.

Pediatrician offices have lots of children toys, pretty colors, and usually a Disney video playing. They have candy, too, little lollipops. ^^
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:21 am
Via says...

Well it depends on what part of the treatment you are in what waiting rooms are available.

In the ER, everyone is in the same room. The average waiting time in the ER in America is 4 1/2 hours (no joke). Of course, they take extreme cases quicker. I remember one time going into the ER because I was having an asthma attack at age 12 and couldn't breathe, and I still had to wait two hours so apparently "extreme" does not include not being able to breathe.

Most the time when I've been in an ER, my concern was not with what the other people in the room were there for. If it was serious enough to be at the ER, my brain would not be able to focus on other people.

However, I can't tell you the hypcondriac views. I would assume they do check with the other people around to see if they will receive the most attention or if someone else will get more? I don't know.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:00 am
Perra says...

I haven't been in many waiting rooms. Mainly just the dentist's and orthodontist's offices. I've also been in a physical therapy waiting room and the waiting room of what I guess is the OR of our Children's Hospital.

The OR waiting room was very boring. My brother was getting a biopsy and only two people out of six of us were allowed to go see him at one time. And I think the waiting room was too big for lots of magazines. It did have those toys where you push beads along a path, so I played with those some (like I said, it was boring). I don't think they even had a TV...I didn't really worry about the other people there (it was pretty crowded). We went in the morning, and I sat there for at least an hour trying to amuse myself. My brother wasn't going to be released for at least a few more hours (possibly had an over-night stay), so I went home sometime after lunch.

Oh, another time at the same hospital, I had to sit in a small waiting room while my brother got a check-up. Despite it being a children's hospital with a "river" running through the lobby, a tree-house/forest-themed play room for kids, another playroom for teens, and other elaborate decorations and entertainment, this waiting room was bare and didn't have any entertainment (at least, non that I saw). Then again, this part of the hospital was separate from the rest and may have been a different building...But it was still astonishingly boring for a kid hospital. Luckily, I had a Harry Potter book. But I think these other kids that were waiting there were staring at me....

The dentist's office can be a little dull, too, but they have interesting magazines.

The therapy waiting room had a TV we could control. And tons of magazines. Not bad.

The orthodontist's office, however, had video games. As well as tons of books and magazines and awesome safari-themed decorations. Many a visit I occupied myself with Donkey Kong. :) It was basically the best waiting room ever. Although, if I remember right, you didn't get to play the video games until you were in the exam-chair waiting or in the back waiting to go back to the exam-chair.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 pm
queenofscience says...

I have A LOT of medical problems, and I went to a cardiologist office (i'm female and 25) and I felt soo weird....everyone in the room was 50+. I dislike how society has the perception that only 'old' people are sick/disabled. Young adults/teens/children can be just as ill. I have several disabilities and chronic illnesses.

So, yes, a lot of waiting rooms/hospitals. And I have to wear a mask because I am immunocompromised.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon