z

Young Writers Society

Masons

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:51 am
BigBadBear says...

Ok, I have just had one of those, "That would be a cool idea for a book!" moments, and so I need help for all of you 1700s fans!

I need everything you know on Masons. Right now, I am going to research my heart out. I need to know:

-Who were the Masons?

-Why did they form?

-When did they form?

-Any links that you think would be helpful. If you could do any one of these things, please post them here. I don't want to let this die. Please help me. I am in DIRE need!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 pm
Fishr says...

Masonry, eh?

I have to go to work but I'll definitely be back. I can tell you this real quickly: John Hancock and Geo. Washington were both Masons. I have a 400 page book on Washington and his Masonry views; published in circa 1850. (Forgot when. :D)

But yes, I can help. Others can too as they'll probably get to this before me. :P
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

365 Reviews

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:59 pm
Fishr says...

Freemasonry, the full and correct term when speaking of this fraternity have been sighted since the 1600’s and onward to the present. “Masons” is a shortened version. Since you’ve requested specifically information about the Freemasons of the 18th Century, that is where I’ll focus mainly on. However, the scope of Masonic endeavourers is very broad and to truly understand this group, I suggest researching the fraternity wholly. Only then, will you be equipped when the time comes to write about the Masons.

Freemasonry seems to have been quite popular or enough for the radical Whigs of the 18th Century to be inducted but today, I hardly see the Masonic symbol (1) that distinguishes them; “We are Masons.” Perhaps modern Freemasonry isn’t popular in my state anymore, and all that remains is whispers of the past; tombstones of the early to mid 19th Century, bold, and clear; the Masonic symbol is the very first objected sighted, followed by an inscription. It should also be noted that every Mason I’ve seen in a cemetery, not one of their tombstones are of slate material but marble. This suggests that those who were emitted were well to do or at least had a bit of wealth. A marble stone in the 19th Century would have been a pretty penny in this era, and even more in the 18th. The rare tombstones I’ve seen Freemasons that served in the Revolutionary War, and carry the Masonic symbol. I may have one picture or two of a tombstone showing this example. Let me know, if you’re interested because I have a collection of over 300 plus photos of tombstones since I’m an amateur genealogist.

There are three degrees of Masonry. The highest is Master Mason. Wikipedia has a rather detailed article about these degrees. Very interesting too. Rumor has it that the Freemasons of the 18th Century were shrouded in secrecy, much like the rebellious Sons of Liberty which formed in 1765 during the chaotic Stamp Act. Two famous members were John Hancock and George Washington. There may be one more – Carroll (2) – the oldest of the Signers of the Declaration. But I’m not one hundred percent sure about Carroll. It should also be mentioned – and not negated – to be a Mason, their main motto is as follows: "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity". To further with the Masonic Motto, there were three “tenents.”
*1- "Brotherly love to the whole human species,
*Relieve the distressed,
* And truth as a divine attribute".
To further again, by the mid 18th Century, 80 to 85% of the populace was Protestant, while some were Deist, among other formal religious groups that became popular. Point taken that Freemasonry generally had some formal religion rooted to its members.

I mentioned Masonic symbols earlier, and is a perfect time to bring forth a few of them.
Emblem
- Compass and square forming the triangle of God, with the letter "G" in the center, or the "eye" of God... or on top of an open Bible.
- They are the 3 indispensable jewels of a Lodge, representing "equality, liberty, and fraternity".
- The "compass" is the male element, represents solidarity, by making a circle; the "square", the female element, represents righteousness.
The 5 points of "fellowship":

- "Foot to foot": To go to help your brother.

- "Knee to knee": Pray for your brother.

- "Breast to breast": Keep the secrets.

- "Hand to back": Assist your fallen brother, and vindicate his character behind his back, as well as before his face.

- "Mouth to ear": Whisper good council.

(1) Image
(The Masonic symbol most commonly seen. I’ve see the compass without the “G.” Perhaps it was an error on the tombstone. I’ve seen numerous errors too.)

(2) Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ca ... Carrollton

Research Cited: http://www.religion-cults.com/Secret/Fr ... %20SYMBOLS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

Suggested reading material:

John Hancock a Famous Freemason by George W. Baird
Turning the Templar Key : The Secret Legacy of the Knights Templar and the Origins of Freemasonry by Robert Lomas

New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry by Arthur Edward Waite, Emmit McLoughlin

WASHINGTON AS A FREEMASON by MASONRY;pub. 1870

First three books are available for purchase on Barnes and Noble. B&N have quite the collection of Mason material but I chose those three because I think you’ll benefit from them. The last is out of print. I have a copy of “Washington as a Freemason,” and I must say if you can get your hands on it at a reasonable price, the engravings are spectacular, along with photos of an original letter. I believe there is a map too but I have forgotten what it entails. My library regarding the 18th Century is extensive. So, if there is anything you’d like to know I probably have the answer, either by memory or resources.

However, to be perfectly honest, in the amount of years I’ve studied this era, I never quite looked at Freemasonry with a magnify glass. I knew of it, just never sat down and dove right in. For this, I too, had to do some researching. A perfect excuse to learn something new. So thank you. : ) Everything else, not regarding specifically Freemasonry came directly from memory such as the references of religious preferences.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

(Mason initiation. 18th. Century)

This should hopefully answer your questions but prehaps not directly. Best of luck! Huzzah!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:14 pm
Fan says...

Altough I didn't request this, it's pretty good information fishr. Almost all of the teachers in my boarding school are Masons, and there's a student joke that they're all in some conspiracy. Know the enemy lol. ;)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:54 pm
Twit says...

Laurel and Hardy were Masons, I think. They say several times about "a Lodge." But "The Valley of Fear", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle mentions Masons in, if you want to check that out.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:46 pm
Fishr says...

Back, and I read through a very interesting book. It's Freemasonry for Dummies. It's written by a Mason or rather a Past Mason so you can be sure there isn't any propaganda or stupid speculation.

So, it appears I have made one mistake, which the more I dwelled upon it; it makes sense. Too long have I thoroughly researched the Sons of Liberty. So much, I'm in their train of thought all the time. It lingers, never leaves, it's apart of me now.

When I had said "Freemasonry is shrouded in secretcy," that's a false statement, and is the error on my behalf. Makes sense though. If Masonry was such a secret, there wouldn't be hundreds of books dedicated to the subject. Rather than Freemasonry being a secret fraternity, it's more that their grips (handshakes), and body formations, as well as cermonies held within behind "locked doors," is the mystery.

An interesting thing I picked up on right away though. It seems Masons would where a ring, each with a Masonic symbol. Rumor among 18th Century historians and buff, such as myself, speculate that the Sons of Liberty; the members also had a ring, found on the right hand with the letter "L" in the middle The L stood for Liberty, and that mindset can be traced to Masonic beliefs on some regards.

Now, as for
I have been researching myself, and I found many mentions of Lodges. I am very unclear on what they mean.

And also the LDS church. They seem to have numerous connections with the Masons.
Lodges, as I suspected last night (I wanted to research to make sure, otherwise I suck as a researcher.), are the buildings where members meet. But, before entering, if I remember correctly, you had to prove you were a Mason. Each Lodge from State to State to Worldwide have their own traditions/customs and rituals so for a Mason from Nebraska to waltz up to a Masonic Lodge in London; he had to prove it, and usually by a series of questions, then possibly preforming a task to insure the man was indeed a Freemason. Let it be know, when I saw "ritiual" for lack of a better word, Freemasonry is not related to Satan or such outragious beliefs. In fact, while its members have religious roots, Freemasonry is not a cult or is a religion - at all.

I'm not sure what "LDS" stands for? I'm assusimg the "L" means London?

Above all, I now highly suggest in finding that Freemonry for Dummies. It will tell you more, and beyond the realms of hogwash.

Here, I present, for your improvement, a Masonic tombstone (I think):

The suggested pyramid, the very same seen on the back of the $1 dollar bill, "the all seeing eye" is seen on this stone. The "bell" to the top, far right, I think I've seen before as a Masonic symbol. The funny thing about this tombstone is, even though the Vet served in the Rev. War, it doesn't tell us outright that he could have been a Mason, as I've seen on tombstones before after observing the compass. And, there is no compass here, which suggests he was within a different degree, if I'm right.

Speaking of the back of the dollar bill, look closely. See the Latin? That's your assignment tonight. Translate it, and I WIILL ask if you've found the meaning. ;) Here's a clue though. There were three men that instrumented the back of the bill. The two others, I cannot remember the names as I just read about it today. But, Benjamin Franklin was one of these men, and yes, he was a Freemason.

Hoped this proved as helpful as before.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:21 am
BigBadBear says...

Thank you so much!

LDS = Latter Day Saints. Mormons, in other words.

I have been longing to ask this question:

Did the Masons have any enemies? Because in my book I want some group of people to hate the Masons, yet I want it to be accurate. Do you know of any?

I'll research the latin on the dollar bill! Sounds like fun!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

365 Reviews

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:50 am
Fishr says...

Masons are not as they say prejudice. Any recognized, formal religious belief can join them but directly influencing; I do not know if Mormons have actual boundaries about Freemasonry. Remember, "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity (Brotherhood). No one is shunned to my knowledge.

Well, specifically, I am not positive. Masonry is highly respected but misunderstood. That much I knew before entering this journey. However, during the Civil War, it would be worth checking of either side, Union or Confederate deliberately assisted their "brother" behind the lines, and behind the backs of their countrymen. After all, if you become a Mason, you should assist your brother whenever possible but lawfully speaking, Masonry holds no special wands. ;) They, like every crackpot driving cars, must follow Federal and State laws.

Anyway, mentioning the Civil War, if I'm correct, that right there is a major rift, an inner enemy if you will. Can you possibly imagine the penalties if a Confederate assisted a Union Mason or vice versa? *shudders* And yes, I was really shuddering. I've studied colonial punishment extensively. To think if such old practices used again...

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 am
VampX13 says...

If you want enemies for the Masons you could always use the whole misunderstood thing. Perhaps some people get the wrong ideas about them and through misconception of Masonry, become their enemy. This could be just about anyone really. This actually happens to Masonry on a regular basis if you watch lots of "Hollywood" movie and such. An example of one that I know relatively well would probably be in "From Hell" where Masonry is portrayed as more of an evil cult.

Just a suggestion. :-)
"I'm an actress, not a beauty." -from the movie, Stage Beauty

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners