z

Young Writers Society

Domestic Abuse

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue May 15, 2007 10:14 pm
Fishr says...

I need some good reading material. It's time that I refresh my memory and get a firmer grip on the subject.

(In mid and high school, I was taught and required to know about the subject. Kinda like a prevention type of thing). But that was six-ish years ago, and even in colonial America I ran into the subject, lol.

These days I'm not too fond of Wiki but I'll take any articles, books, links, suggestions, etc. - anything that'll help me.

Thanks guys.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue May 15, 2007 10:30 pm
Emerson says...

Domestic abuse. I don't know of any books on this topic... (Which is odd coming from me O.o)

But what exactly are you looking for? The affects it has on the women, why the husbands to it, the circumstances around it? I think if I knew a little bit more of what you wanted to know, I'm sure I could find helpful sites.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

365 Reviews

Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 pm
Fishr says...

But what exactly are you looking for? The affects it has on the women, why the husbands to it, the circumstances around it? I think if I knew a little bit more of what you wanted to know, I'm sure I could find helpful sites.

Well, actually, though I don't think it's common, I was looking for the affects it has on teenagers/boys. Like non-fic stories of their experiences, how it affected them, and yes, why is it done? But women's experiences will work too if I can't find zilch about young boys and teenage men who went through this ordeal.

Yes, my lack of or little, questions was lame. XD

That's all I'm look for at the moment but I'll probably have other questions in the future.

Thanks, Claudette.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 am
Twit says...

Go to ASDA or Tesco, and look at their book selection. Half the books there are "the tragic true story of a stolen childhood." They've all got the picture of some kid in a dejected attitude on the front, and a line saying, How a trust was broken . . . why did it happen? . . . the heartbreaking story of abuse . . . one child's struggle to survive . . . etc.

Look for ones with titles like, Shattered, Cupcake, Don't Tell Mummy, The Ghost Child, Echoes. Depressing, but they should be helpful, and they're all autobiographies. Mostly they're women's stories, but there's a few men's ones as well. There's that A Child Called It, and The Lost Boy by that bloke called Dave Someoneorother.

Anyway, hope that helped.

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 28, 2007 4:01 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I didn't read over what Twit said, but some things I know they might have would be attachment disorder(at least in children), or PTST (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

I looked around a bit through google and this page looked helpful: http://www.titus2menandwomen.org/ChildA ... ndex.shtml

Good luck ^_^
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon May 28, 2007 10:31 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I'll see if I can dredge up some stuff for you, hon. I don't know how much narrative I have on it, but I do have quite a bit of knowledge on the subject.

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Thu May 31, 2007 9:21 pm
Fishr says...

I really apologize for the slow response. I'm knee deep in geneolical stuff. Look I mispelled a word and forgot a comma. XD My brain is revolting for sure.

Thanks so much for all the help! I'll get right on it with those suggestions Shadow, and I'll take a look at the article Claudette. CL- I'm curious to see what you have stored away, lol. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Facebook is that cockroach that you just can't kill
— Gravity