z

Young Writers Society

Keeping books in good condition?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:36 pm
Emerson says...

As usual, I'm unsure where this goes.

I'm having a problem, and it's really making me mad. I figured some wonderful person out there could help me. I tend to buy paperbacks, but these paperbacks tend to have white covers. I put them in my book bag. They get marks on them. My once perfectly white book is now covered in black marks, how, I don't know. Any way how to clean off the cover of the book, without ruining it? I don't know if dirt stained it, or what but... I like my books looking as new as possible, and to see my copy of Lolita and If on a winters night a traveler becoming all dirty, it makes me sad... They're such good books!

Any suggestions? I've tried washing them with water and a wash cloth (being sure not to wet the pages) then with water and paper, and they just won't come off...It's worse than getting the bar code stickers stuck!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:41 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Don't know anything about washing them, but next time you get a new book, trying keeping it wrapped in a plastic bag when put them in your book bag.
I wrote the above just for you.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 pm
View Likes
Trident says...

Have you tried any kind of soap?

One thing that worked for me when I got some unknown grime on my books was markerboard marker cleaner. I would be careful though. Maybe just experiment a little before trying to clean your whole book with it. And I would suggest only using that with the glossy paperback covers.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:07 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Thanks, both of you.

Sureal> I really wish I would have thought of that before now... It wouldn't be so depressing :-( I guess from now on I'll do that to prevent it.

I'll have to try the white board cleaner, for those that are already damaged.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:48 pm
View Likes
Jennafina says...

I found this:
http://www.litterascripta.com/bibliomania/clean.shtml

It's about cleaning books. I haven't tested any of the methods, but I might try.

A good way to keep them from getting any dirtier would be to make them new covers out of heavy paper. It's fun, plus then you can decorate it.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

2058 Reviews

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:59 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

A good way to keep them from getting any dirtier would be to make them new covers out of heavy paper. It's fun, plus then you can decorate it.

Amazing idea but... Can you do this with paperbacks? Obviously, with hard back you can, but I prefer paper back to hard back, because I end up loosing/ruining the jacket cover. The only book I HAD to buy as hard cover was The Picture of Dorian Gray because I love the picture of Wilde that is on the book jacket-thing.

I'll have to look at that link... thank you SO much ^_^ Jenna rocks!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 am
View Likes
Jennafina says...

Aww... Thank you!

Yeah, it does work on paperbacks. Be sure to crease and fold it carefully, and don't tape it to the new cover book anywhere or it'll be hard to open or close. Also, they're harder to decorate once the paper is on the book so if you want to make it fancy I'd do it beforehand. =]

Here's the front cover of one of my paperbacks.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9717/covernb5.jpg

Here's the backside of it. And my nose. >_<
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6366/backbw7.jpg
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

2058 Reviews

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:10 am
Emerson says...

Nice nose! xD

Is there any links you could give me on how to make a cover? I'm artistically challenged. (unless it is writing...) or could you tell me how to make one? That is a really good idea... I think I'll just take the picture of the actual cover (since I <3 the actual covers, and as I said, I'm artistically challenged) and turn that into the book cover case...jacket...thing.

I love you so much Jenna xD

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:13 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

I just thought of this: if you're on good terms with your local librarians, and you ask nicely, they might let you use some of their archival protective stuff. It's like contact paper, but nicer. They might even help you put it on. (That stuff is a pain in the arse to work with.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed May 09, 2007 12:19 am
View Likes
Leja says...

I always cover my paperback books because otherwise, the corners get bent and frayed from sloshing in my backpack. Anyway, I cover them as I would a text book, with a brown paper grocery bag and masking tape. Or you could go the route of my friend and cover them with the comic section of the Sunday paper (just be careful the ink from the comics doesn't smudge onto anything important... like your history paper or something). Then, I write the name of the book and author on the (covered) cover and spine with marker and viola!

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green