z

Young Writers Society

What color is the night sky?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 pm
Shafter says...

I live in the 'burbs, so the night sky around my house gets navy blue at best. Today when my sister was editing my story, she challenged my description that the night sky in my story was "dark purple." The setting is about an hour before dawn, when the sky isn't quite black.

Truth be told, I've never witnessed an hour-before-dawn-night-sky without a bunch of city lights all over the place! :oops: Can those who live out in the country (or have visited places and woken up before dawn) help me out? Is the sky black? Blue? Gray? Purple? I'm lost.

Thanks in advance,
Shafter
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 am
Jennafina says...

I'd say it's really, really dark blue, not quite black. Lighter blue around the edges of the moon. :)

Also, it's crisper away from the city, and the edges of stars and things are more defined.

That's just from my personal experience. I hope it helped. :)
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:47 am
Fireweed says...

Yeah, up here in Alaska I'd call it a really deep indigo, and like Jenna said, the stars and moon are more brilliant than in big cities, where smog and city lights conflict with them.
Last edited by Fireweed on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:14 am
Myth says...

I only ever see one star at night, the sky gets greyish and sometimes a little orangy.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:34 am
Shine says...

The night sky is dark blue.But not black.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:12 pm
View Likes
Shafter says...

Thanks, everyone! I have witnessed a midnight sky in the country, and just stood there gaping at the stars, all those gorgeous stars... while my country cousin acted like nothing was out of the ordinary. Ha, I'm such a city kid. :)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:26 pm
Fishr says...

It would depend on the time of day actually, meaning if the sun was setting, there's deep oranges, blues, reds, and purples.

But, if we're talking about the sky when the sun is fully set, and has vanished, in my neck of the woods, the colours are different. (It also depends on the time of year, not to confuse Shaftner). In the summer, yes, when the sun is fully set, the sky is a deep, navy blue but in the winter months, the sky is pitch black. It's as if the colour blue or purple went on vacation!

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I've lived in the country for the majority of my life, but I also live in a different state, obviousaly. Where I reside is Northern Vermont, and I'm very close to Quebec, Canada, I'm not sure if the farther north you are, if it effects the colours in the sky when the sun is beginning to set.

But I do know the colours are definately different, 'pending on the season. In the summer months especially, the colours are more vibrant, and when the sun is fully gone, all I see is a navy blue for many hours, and then it turns pitch black around 10 EST.

Now, it's pitch black at 5, and as I said, the blues and purples are totally gone right now.

The US is weird.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:01 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I think the color of the sky depends on where you are, like in Alaska in (either Summer or winter) that the nights are as bright as day. Generally the night sky is just a dark blue color.

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:54 am
Ofour says...

Where I've seen it, in Portugal, its was a deep blue, almost black but with the Milky Way clearly visible as fine glitter and thousands of stars standing out against the dark, each with individual definition. Take away your peripheral vision and you wouldn't know you were on Earth.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

Reviews: 0
Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 am
Pacific says...

I've got some pics of our sunset if you still need 'em :D
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:19 pm
chocolatechipmuffin says...

You've never seen the night sky?
I find that indescribably sad...
An hour before dawn...The sky is absolutely pitch-black, tiny pinpoints of white light are the stars. The moon...that depends. A full moon, on a clear night, gives a slight, navy-blue aura. On cloudy nights, the clouds around the moon are translucent, the light just barely comes through.
The sky looks like a dome, stratching for miles and miles (if you're on flat land), and if you can see the horizon, there is sometimes just a hint of yellow-orange light, highlighting what seems to be the end of the earth.
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

11 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 11
Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Sgt. Salt says...

If there are no lights around, it's black. What makes it seem blue is moonlight, but when there's barely any moon, it's definitely black.
There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

<3 Oughta got rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me! <3

Sarge: Ho, ho, ho... dirtbag.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:18 pm
Sean Pendr says...

The darkness of night was like a shadowing veil, only flecks of ivory white sone off in the skies above.

oooh...i like that one......WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:23 pm
snap says...

It depends on the setting. As is obvious, if it's in a large town/city, it'll show a lighter navy blue, if it's in the country, more a black.

At least where I live, it also depends on the phase of the moon. The full moon will cast a pale light that illuminates nearly everything. You really don't need any extra hand held light when this is the case. When the moon is new, however, the sky is nearly black, speckled with dots of light, and it is very difficult to see very far ahead of you. (I live in the boonies can you tell?)

Hope this is helpful!!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:27 pm
Twit says...

If there's lots of lights, then it's difficult to see the stars properally.
And, really, the sky can be any colour at night, from dark blue, to purple to grey to dark maroon!

Oh, and if the moon is full, then I always find that it seems to completely fill the sky; it's like the main point up there. If there's a ring around the moon, then it makes the surrounding sky look all milky-white and misty, like the palest dark blue overlaid with almost transparent silver-white.

Hope this helps. :D

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Always do what you are afraid to do.
— E. Lockhart, We Were Liars