z

Young Writers Society

Ballet dancers please help me

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:19 pm
View Likes
FelicityVanBelle says...

Hey guys,

so I'm currently writing a story where two of the characters do ballet, but I have no idea about ballet.
There's actually only going to be one scene where the character will be doing ballet, but I have a couple questions.
1) I'm a (ballroom) dancer and for me dancing is my escape. I can stop and just focus on my steps and the rhythm of the music and the rest of the world just sort of fades into the background and becomes unimportant for the time being. Can ballet do that for someone as well?
2) Since I'm writing that chapter from the dancer's point of view I need to know: What does your inner monologue (as in your thoughts) look like when you're doing ballet?

Thanks in advance <3

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:46 pm
ccarson says...

My younger sister does ballet, I'll talk to her
Corporal Cleo Carson

Bucklin County Sheriff's Office

Cleo Carson and Bucklin County are purely fictional

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:06 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

@momomonster might know, if she's still active and doing ballet?
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:07 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

oops @momonster
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:10 pm
Snoink says...

@LadySpark? Thoughts?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:55 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Hihi ballet dancer here!
1.balket definitely does!! It's like your one with the music and it's carrying you.
2. Inner monologue is usually related to the chorography. While most of it is muscles memory if it's a performance, your still thinking of your posture, muscles, mentally reminding yourself to smile, making sure your setting yourself up right for jumps and that you have your balance right for pointe and certain moves that require you to stand on top toes or on one foot. Every part of your body needs to be held a very specific way and you need to be aware of every muscles that's working and where your body is, physically and mentally.

For example, usually along with the music I'm repeating a version of the move names in my head, along with he music: and one two, hand raised, four, keep my shoulder down, six seven and breath, one two three up up up, breath don't fall,ok and six.
(I don't know how to spell any of the move names cuz their in French, but they would be sprinkled in there where mayhaps shoulder is or foot.)

If you have anymore question I can answer them!
I know my worth, anyone else opinion doesn't really matter
-Agent Carter

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:00 pm
FelicityVanBelle says...

Thank you so much for your answer @LadyMysterio <3

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:44 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

hey, i'm also a ballet dancer! Lady gave you a really good answer but since mint tagged me i'll give my answer as well haha

i personally do get into the zone when i dance; it's not every time i dance but it has happened to me, mostly when i'm actually performing at a show of some kind.

and like lady said, my inner monologue is made up of corrections that i've received specific to the dance i'm doing. so if my choreographer has told me in rehearsals to put more breath into my movement, that's something that i would be thinking about. i also know some people like to count in their heads to keep them in time with the music, and while i don't always count, i am focusing on the rhythm and beat of the music. also if i'm in a group dance, i'll be thinking about making connections with other dancers, or when we have formation changes, i'll be making sure not to run into anybody. i hope this helps! if you have any other questions feel free to send me a message :)
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14 NIV

never apologize for standing up for what you believe in.

previously MomoandAppa, LordMomo, MomoMajesty, and dancingontheclouds

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl