z

Young Writers Society

Ask anything about Sociology

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:12 pm
View Likes
EllieMae says...

Here I'll be adding lots of information about sociology, to help me collect my thoughts as I prepare for exams. Feel free to ask any questions about anything sociology-related as well and Ill answer with my opinion/knowledge that I have. :pirate3:
”Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards (so you might as well do Duolingo ).”

Was ailah2005
Then AilahEvelynMae
and is now EllieMae

211 Reviews

Reviews: 211
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:19 pm
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

*me literally having to look up what sociology is*

It's the study of social problems, right? What are some examples of these problems?
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

210 Reviews

Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:48 pm
View Likes
EllieMae says...

@OrabellaAvenue hehe no worries!

Let's start at the basics: the definition of sociology is the study of society.

And, like you said, we focus a lot of those problems in society.

Oh boy, there are too many problems to count hahaha! Because seriously, those problems are ENDLESS. Currently, I am focusing on studying gender and a lot of issues that arise within the sociology of gender. This relates to how society is structured in a way that promotes these gender norms or stereotypes.

Here's one example: in sociology, there is a theory called the Status Characteristics Theory. This theory teaches us how gender is perceived as important to certain tasks. I may have given this example somewhere on YWS before, but imagine that you are driving and your car breaks down. You see two groups of people that you could approach for help, a group of men and a group of women. Who would you approach? Probably the men, because you assume they would be more likely to know how to help you, gender is perceived as important to this task of fixing the car. One of the women could be a mechanic, but you don't know that and assume the men are better fit.

But there are so many social problems. Gender is a big one I've focused on. Race and ethnicity and education and honestly anything can be examined sociologically.

I've been focusing a lot of research sampling and errors related to that too right now. I hope this reply makes some sense, haha!
”Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards (so you might as well do Duolingo ).”

Was ailah2005
Then AilahEvelynMae
and is now EllieMae

210 Reviews

Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:24 pm
View Likes
EllieMae says...

Probability VS non-probability Sampling in Sociology

Just a note, lots of my posts on here will be me just typing stuff to help me study, but feel free to ask questions about it or anything else, as that helps me too! Or if it doesn't make sense I am happy to clarify as well :D

Probability Sampling

Simple Random Sampling
In simple random sampling, evert sample element is selected by chance. An example of this could be a random number assignment.

Systematic Random Sampling
Systematic Random Sampling is when sampling elements are selected from a list. The first element is randomly selected and after that, every nth element is selected.

Cluster Sampling
In cluster sampling, clusters are randomly selected. Then, elements within the clusters are selected.

Stratified Random Sampling
In stratified random sampling, the characteristics of the sampling elements determine the sampling strata. Such as race.

Non-Probability Sampling

Availability Sample
Sample elements are selected based on convenience.

Quota Sample
In a quota sample, quotas are set to ensure sample elements represent characteristics in proportion to the population.

Snowball Sample
Sample elements are selected as they are identified by previous interviewees.

And finally,
Purposive Sampling
Purposive sampling is when sample elements are selected with a purpose.

Was ailah2005
Then AilahEvelynMae
and is now EllieMae

Saying Why-Double-you-Ehs is inversely like saying Ah-beh-Seh (Abc)... just say yewis it's cooler.
— Anonymous