z

Young Writers Society

Writing a research paper on asexuality: help?

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:11 pm
View Likes
EllieMae says...

Hello friends!

You read the title. Im looking for some help. As a sociology major I am currently studying gender and sexuality. I am starting the process of writing an eternally long research paper on the topic of asexuality. I am writing on the spectrum as a whole, as well as some aspects of aromanticism.

The only problem?

Well, I don't really know anyone who is asexual. Most of what I include in my paper will be from academic journals and such, but I feel that it wouldn't be right for me to write this paper without a deep understanding of someone who is actually knowledgeable on the topic.

So heres what I need.

I want to better understand what asexuality is (anywhere on the spectrum) and how it impacts you or others you know. I am open to any sources and reccomendations that can assist me.

Thanks!
-Ellie
”Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards (so you might as well do Duolingo ).”

Was ailah2005
Then AilahEvelynMae
and is now EllieMae

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:33 pm
WinnyWriter says...

Hello. I was drawn in by your topic of asexuality. I find this an interesting topic myself, as I consider myself on the asexual spectrum, at least as it is typically generally defined. I do not consider myself part of the lgbtq+ community, however. I have found that the AVEN website for asexuality is fairly helpful with providing structural definitions and explanations of things, and if I remember right, they also have contributions from people on the ace spectrum who describe their experiences with asexuality and how it works for them. If there are any more particulars you would like to know or ask me, feel free to post them here or dm me.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:27 pm
EllieMae says...

WinnyWriter

I appreciate your wonderful response!

I do have a couple questions, if you don't mind :)

WinnyWriter wrote:I do not consider myself part of the lgbtq+ community, however.

I am wondering why this is or if you could explain more? And if you would prefer to answer over a private message that is totally fine too!

-Ellie
”Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards (so you might as well do Duolingo ).”

Was ailah2005
Then AilahEvelynMae
and is now EllieMae

Reviews: 3
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:10 pm
View Likes
wonderinthewings says...

Hey there! I'm an a-spec person! I want to start out by saying I'm really glad you're interested in learning more about asexuality, because not many people take the time to understand the full spectrum. (Or even know the definition of asexuality).

In all honesty, I don't know of many sources on the subject to recommend to you, as the last time I really looked into asexuality was about two years ago when I discovered I was ace. :/ I sort of stopped looking into the subject afterwards. I can't remember all the sources I looked into off the top of my head, but I do remember a friend of mine recommending to me a Jubilee video on the subject that had a lot of people from all over the spectrum in it!

I'll be sure to respond again later if I remember any other good sources. Feel free to ask me any questions you have!!

Best of Luck!!!

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:26 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

When it comes to anything related to asexuality/aromanticism or LGBTQIA+ in general, I will always recommend The Trevor Project which is dedicated to providing resources on these topics and provide support to anyone wanting to learn more, including youth or adults.

This link has some specific information on asexuality and what are some common threads based around this idea.

I identify as asexual. Asexuality is a wide spectrum. Some asexual people experience sexual attraction while others do not, including still having a significant other. There are terms such as demisexuality which means that someone needs to form a close relationship with someone to experience sexual attraction, or graysexuality which is for people who identify between sexuality or asexuality. People who are asexual can still identify as straight, lesbian, gay, etc, but would typically write it as being biromantic, or panromantic, for examples.

Feel free to ask any specific questions! I can also answer questions through DMs too.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

218 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 218
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:38 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

seconding what key said about the trevor project! i would also suggest scrolling through this and reading some of the resources linked! a good bit of it is academic, but if you check out all of the organizations listed, there are personal accounts and possibly chat forums. i think that could be useful!
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:10 am
Fishr says...

Playing devil’s advocate here. Consider science in terms of Asexuality. Humans are animals as we are mammals, but we are not a single-celled organism. For example, an anemone is asexual. It has the ability to reproduce without ever needing a mate. To make things weirder as far as gender goes, clownfish can change their sex. I assume the paper is about human gender and orientation but I am encouraging a wider scope of investigation of research.

If it is any help, I’m asexual. :p
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:18 pm
View Likes
herbalhour says...

oh boy... the spectrum is long and far and has many MANY identifications.

For example, I myself am a demisexual. I do not have sexual attraction to people I am not close with.

Some people may identify as cupiosexual, where they enjoy the idea/concept of sexual attraction but so not experience/desire it.

Other times, people are just asexual. I don't have any reccomendations ror sources except yeah... the trevor project.

spotify
NOW PLAYING:
I Think He Knows, Taylor Swift
0:10 ──●───────── 2:55
◁∥ ||PLAY|| // STOP // ∥▷

~l o v e r~

herb/tea/hour! He/She

projects:
5 acts (poetry)
treading through abyss (novel)

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien