z

Young Writers Society

descriptions,descriptions,events,events

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 am
wordwing says...

I have a problem.So, recently i realized that my chapter sucks(not enough events, descriptions, and even my grammar needs work.) Also, it seems too short, even for an unfinished chapter, but i am worried that i might make it even worse, by adding too many descriptions.What should i do?Send help!

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:12 pm
Megrim says...

Descriptions are a finnicky thing. You need just enough to make the story feel alive, but any more than that and it bogs everything down like lead weights in your pockets. Your best bet is to look more at the events (plot), and worry about description last.

As far as description goes, a good rule of thumb would be no more than 2-3 sentences at one time, and no more than 2-3 paragraphs without at least one mention of something descriptive. The idea here is to keep description SPREAD OUT. Description serves as an anchor so we don't feel like everything is happening in white space--so treat it like we're floating up and you have to anchor us back down every now and again.

For grammar, that's something to always work on. Whether you want to worry about it early or late in the writing process, definitely spend some time on it. I'd suggest a read-through looking ONLY at grammar. If you can't spot the problems yourself, get a friend/teacher/parent to do it for you. Try googling any questions you have (like "when to use further vs farther?" is one I keep having to look up).

The events is what's going to drive the chapter. If it feels like not enough is happening, look for where you can increase conflict. For instance, two characters agreeing on something is dull--give them something to disagree on also. Or, a character walking around doing their daily routine is dull--make something abnormal happen during that routine. Look for ways to generally make their lives harder, avoid giving them breaks, and as soon as something seems like it's going well, make something else go wrong.

17 Reviews

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:25 pm
wordwing says...

That helps a lot.I will try.Thank you.

364 Reviews

Reviews: 364
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 pm
zaminami says...

Hey, wordwing -

I know this is about my review, and your chapter doesn't suck. I said myself that it was a really cool idea, but that the grammar and descriptions need work. If you ever need help with this kind of thing, PM me or visit my reviewing forum and just ask for a review or help, okay? Just trying to help :D

--

Kara
tartaglia, they/he lesbian.
i also go by skylar and reginald!
First member of the bio trio™.
victim of the writer’s block disease

17 Reviews

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:03 pm
wordwing says...

Ahahaha do not worry, I am not offended I was just exaggerating(is this how you spell it?).No worries:).

We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice, we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself.
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer