z

Young Writers Society

Permission

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:26 am
lakegirls says...

I don't know if anyone's had any experience with this but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. In my book I want one of my characters to be reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" in school, so my question is do I need permission for this?

Obviously if it's ever published I will but do I need permission before I start sending it out to agents?

A friend of mine said I should avoid it altogether but I really like the part that I've written and it bums me out that I could have to cut it.
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:06 am
Zolen says...

Wise to avoid mentioning real world things for a first book, but you can get away with it, heck if you name drop the right way they might even pay you extra for the advertisement.

Still I say avoid it unless its something so old nobody is alive to claim ownership of it. That book is still being published under the original publishing company only, so I think its still claimed. So might be best to make a light reference or create a fake book that is similar.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:29 am
View Likes
lakegirls says...

I did some research online and it said unless I directly quote from the book, which I didn't, you don't permission. I plan on sending my book to agents so I feel like if I need permission they'll help me out. Thanks for the advice! :)
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey