z

Young Writers Society

Interesting 'Quirks' ;) (Such as Synesthesia)

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:42 pm
enjeru says...

hey, i like your english teacher!!

a book youi might want to check out is A Mango-Shaped Space.i'm not sure who the author is, but it's about a girl who has synesthesia. she can see the color of sounds. its really cool, because it tells it form her point of view.
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul."

-Aldo Leopold

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 pm
Monki says...

Enjeru > Thanks. Lol. She'd be happy to hear that! :)
I have already read 'A Mango-Shaped Space'. It would be so cool to be like Mia (the girl in the book with Synesthesia)! That was a great reference. Thanks for the suggestion though. ;)

<3,
Monki
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:59 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

When I first heard about Synesthesia, I was like, YO I HAVE THAT. But I don't, XD. It's just because when I was younger I used to give letters and numbers personalities, which isn't really the same thing. I don't do it anymore, but it's always given me a different way of seeing numbers and such, so math wasn't hard or anything. But I agree. I think that it's a really interesting condition.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

not fair! i want a cool condition like synesthesia! lol.

good luck, Monki. I guess everybody found all the interesting diseases, so I don't have anything else to say lol.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:24 pm
tinny says...

I know that my Dad had synesthesia when he was young; he used to taste pain as lemons. He trained himself out of it, apparently.

I've heard of at theory that everyone has very mild synesthesia, as in why can describe one sensation with words used for another, like a associating a word with a colour.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

99 Reviews

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 am
Monki says...

Thanks all of you, too! Wow, didn't think this topic would be very much appreciated. Guess it is! Man, that would be soooo cool to have Synesthesia! :( I really want it!

Does everyone REALLY have a mild case of Synesthesia? That's interesting to know. I'm gonna research that... :) Thanks for the info everybody!
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 am
scotty.knows says...

Synesthesia, huh?

Pain taste a little bit like salt, to me. But that's about it.

I have ADHD. That's expert-speak for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

It is now qualified as a mental disorder. If I was a lazy bum, I could go on social security and be paid to sit around and be hyper.

Fortunately, I'm not.

My "condition" is actually the reason my mom kept me out of school. She was insistent that I did not have a "disorder". There is no doubt in my mind that I would have been put on Ritalin if I had gone to school. Ritalin, as is now being shown in test studies, is like, really-really bad for you.

Characteristics are like a normal little boy, but ramped way up.

It's gotten better as I've gotten older. When I was little, I could literally not sit still. I'm not kidding. It was like an energy force took hold of me and just ran me around all over the place.

I'd yell all day long- never used an indoor voice. And run, run, run absolutely everywhere. The only time I'd sit still was to read or write.

I was never much fun to watch TV shows or movies because I'd bombard my companions with a steady blur of questions.

"What's that? Why'd he do that? Who's he talking to? What's he thinking? What's happening now? Wait, where'd he go? Is he a good guy?"

I'd ask the next question so fast, no one was able to answer them.

That's the biggest part of it.

I never run out of energy. I sleep about 3-4 hours a night unless I've been backpacking in which case I might get in 7 or 8. After that, though, I'm unable to sleep.

I spend a lot of time sitting my bed, reading. Like I said, reading and writing are the only two things I can really sit down and do. I do my school standing up, and I literally never get tired. I just suddenly feel as though I need to sleep.

It sounds like a lot of fun... but being nervous, jumpy, and frantically energetic all the time isn't as cracked up as it is to be.

People tell me I'm like a normal person on Speed.

It's kind of boring, as far as cool disorders like Synesthesia go, but it's what I have experience with. 17 years of experience.
'Merikuh!

99 Reviews

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:06 pm
View Likes
Monki says...

Obviously, I've heard of ADHD, but the way you described it sounds 'cool' in a way, but it sounds painfully tiring to someone watching you. Lol. It would be cool to observe someone like that though. I know of kids who have ADHD, but no teenagers. I know this sounds sort of mean, but I think it would be really cool to watch a teenager go through their daily routine. I think I'm going to have a teenager named... Paulo in my book. I think he's going to have ADHD. He'll be... seventeen. Like you! :) You gave me the idea.

Thanks so much for the idea. If you don't mind, I might PM you some more about this later. ;)

<3,
Monki

130 Reviews

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:21 am
View Likes
scotty.knows says...

People actually tend to tell me that it's a kick in the butt(really funny) to watch me deal with life.

Go ahead and PM me with any questions. like I said, I have tons of experience.
'Merikuh!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:35 am
Teague says...

scotty.knows wrote:I was never much fun to watch TV shows or movies because I'd bombard my companions with a steady blur of questions.

"What's that? Why'd he do that? Who's he talking to? What's he thinking? What's happening now? Wait, where'd he go? Is he a good guy?"

I'd ask the next question so fast, no one was able to answer them.

I admire the patience of those around you. I probably would've eaten your soul. xD

*cough* Random and pointless.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I think ADHD is a load of baloney. I think frustrated parents label their hyperactive boys as ADHD because they want the doctors to give them drugs. I like ADHD people; they're entertaining and usually way more fun than the normal ones. Supposedly my boyfriend has ADHD. I just think he's fun and happy and hyper. *shrug*

So P.S., scotty, you'd probably be one of my best friends if I knew you personally lol. And I totally understand the watching TV thing. I drive people nuts. "What's going on? Oh, I bet they're going to switch them, right? You know, because they're twins. But wait, what about the girl? Will she notice? What'd you think? Maybe. I don't know. Hey, what're they doing now?"

Yup. Great fun.

Anyway, that was my mini-rant. :)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

130 Reviews

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:17 am
scotty.knows says...

Yeah, that's my mom's take on it.

Make no mistake, my mom denies that it's a disorder. She just says that some people are born with waaaaaayyy more energy that other people are and that gets on some people's nerves.

I fully agree with your mini-rant. And thanks, I don't get a whole lot of support from most people I know.
'Merikuh!

99 Reviews

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:45 pm
Monki says...

Lol. My mom calls my little sister the energizer bunny. But personally, I think she has ADHD.

I don't, but I still ask tons of questions when watching a movie. I was watching a movie at the movie theater for the first time with my parents when I was little, and my mom made my dad take me to my grandmother's house real quick (it was like, a block away) because I wouldn't shut up. Lol. My dad only missed the previews though. I wasn't really asking about the movie. I was asking about the theater itself. "I never saw a TV screen that big before!" Hilarious!

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:47 am
gingerheartsyou says...

I love 'A Mango Shaped Space'! It is by Wendy Mass, btw. My uncle has synesthesia with numbers and I have it with colors like the girl in 'Mango...', but a lot less seriously than my uncle. I dunno if it is supposed to run in families or not but its sort of funny that we both have it but it is of different senses. It's interesting, with his, it happens all the time, he relates words to numbers, sounds to numbers, colors to numbers, etc. With me, it is usually emotions like fear or shyness or happyness but the colors aren't always relateable to colors with names. That's why I love that massive box of crayons, when somebody asks me about what color I'm feeling, I pull out my box of crayons and go through them till I find a color that sort of matches. It comes in fuzzy suns of color or polka dots or diamonds, usually. For everybody it's different. I was lucky, I found out about it in about fifth grade, but nobody really could tell before that and I try not to make it a big deal about it after. It was a novelty to me when I first found out but I realized it wasn't anything new, it had been happening since I could remember, I just knew what it was then. If you need more info about this or CVS (its a syndrome/disease I have, I dont consider my synesthesia a sydrome or anything, its just like a 6th sense)
"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better.
-George E. Woodberry

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:48 pm
Lynlyn says...

Monki wrote:Does everyone REALLY have a mild case of Synesthesia? That's interesting to know. I'm gonna research that... :) Thanks for the info everybody!

I think a lot of people do, to a degree, have a very mild mingling of the senses, if that makes sense at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect

Personally, I've always attached colors to sound, but I've never considered myself as having synesthesia because I don't really "experience" colors so much as involuntarily think them, and not everything is "colored." But I think it's probably just a heightened sensitivity to timbre that a lot of musicians probably have. I remember doing one piece in choir and being sort of frustrated a couple days before the concert, because the song had previously been sort of a yellow-orange and when they added the piano two rehearsals before the performance (we had been singing it a cappella) it suddenly became very pink. I remember being sort of emotionally distressed over this, though now it doesn't seem like a big deal at all, though I guess I figured somehow that it ought to have changed the way I was singing it.

This is probably doesn't help you that much, so I'll shut up now, haha.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu