Medieval period boats

4 posts
User avatar
Gender Male
Points 15966
Reviews 134
For my fantasy novel The Wrong Side, I have a scene on a fishing boat. Does anyone know what sort of boats in the medieval period would be suitable for fishing with a crew of 3 (obviously a small boat).

If anyone has any knowledge of controlling sailing boats (and what mistakes a novice could make to sink one) that would also be much apreciated.

Thanks :D
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 1395
Reviews 565
Well, I know a few different kinds.

A "jolly boat," "dory," or "ship's launch" is a small craft used as
a shuttle between ship and shore. A "ketch" is a small sailing boat
or ship.




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 15966
Reviews 134
I looked up ketch and the wikipedia page has a list of about 100 other sailing vessels, so I'll look through those too. Thanks, I thought no one was going to answer this.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 1395
Reviews 565



Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero