z

Young Writers Society

Fact Check

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I'm sure I could find this through research, but I am a lousy researcher, so I thought I'd ask you guys before I potentially spend wasted hours finding nothing. Once I figure out these things, I should be able to start my new work. (Stupid beginnings)

First, how believable do you think a gang established "fight club" is? Doesn't sound too far off to me, but I thought I'd ask. Basically what I'm thinking of is what the Def Jam games are about, but at a much smaller scale.

Second, other than a car crash, what are some other ways for someone to fall into a coma? A car crash seems a tad cliche for me, and the scene just never seems to flow right. Outside forces are preferable to preexisting medical conditions, but any suggestions could trigger the right train of thought.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I can't help you with the first, but the coma thing... I suppose neing hit by a car would constitute as a car crash...? Other than that: being hit by a falling tree, electrocuted (?), and I really don't know what else. Soz, this hasn't been much of a help at all has it?! Anyway, good luck!

-Kaz

Ps. Vote Dragon!!!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:57 pm
Aet Lindling says...

First one, I'm not an expert, but seems pretty reasonable and believable to me. (unfortunately)

Second one, the list goes on and on. Someone shoots him, landslide, earthquake, extreme shock or trauma...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:00 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Coma braindead or just coma?
If someone was in a burning building, I think if they inhaled enough smoke they could go into a coma....
ohmeohmy

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:08 pm
Aet Lindling says...

ah yes, tis true, tis true...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:21 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

A recoverable coma. I can see a fire working out, since both he and his friend both fall into a coma at the same time. That's why I originally had it a car crash. I hadn't thought smoke inhilation would cause a coma, but why not? Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still open to ideas though.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:38 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Glad to have helped :D
ohmeohmy

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:15 am
Lilyy03 says...

For the first question... I really don't know.

For the second... Comas aren't always caused by injuries like that. Some diseases, especially ones that affect the nervous system, can lead to comas. Strokes can do it too. Also, in some cases doctors purposefully use drugs to induce a coma in a patient who has some sort of brain injury/disease.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:36 am
chocolatechipmuffin says...

I don't know if someone already said it, because I'm too lazy to read all the posts.

For the first question: ... no idea. You had me at Def Jam.

The second question: If they're gangster-type people, couldn't they get into some kind of fight and get clubbed over the head? In the right spot, that could put you in a coma...
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 pm
View Likes
Sean Pendr says...

agian with the coma thing....your character could have tried to commit suicide by shooting himself and ended up loging the bullet into his medulla self inducing a temporary coma or could have taken a strong narcotic medication or drug that induced him into a coma, or the final thought is that a powerful punch upward to the nos or to the rib cartalige just above the stomache area would also black a person out or induce a coma like state. have fun! :lol:
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh