Bound for Glory: Our Brethren

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:36 am
Fishr says...

Bound for Glory: Our Brethren
Jessica Bruce

April 5, 1764 – Boston, Massachusetts - Pass the sugar, please

"Samuel!" a deep voice bellowed from within the log house.

A young boy walked briskly into the sitting room. He quickly scanned it to hopefully find a clue why his father had summoned him. Was there something out of place? To the left of him, there was a two-level bookcase under a window. Above the bookcase, a stone was rested on top of some pieces of khaki parchment. In front, towards the boy's right, there was a needle and some twine under a bench. When the boy did not locate anything out of the ordinary in the sitting room, he returned his attention.

"You called for me, Father?" the boy asked. He stood with his arms folded across his bare chest. The boy was wearing light brown breeches and his hair was dark brown, cut just below his earlobes. It was greasy, grimy and strands of his hair stuck out like spikes in unusual directions on the top of his head.

"Yes, I did son. Could you fetch my walking stick? I left it by the fire pit."

A scowl immediately spread on the boy's lips and he began to tap a foot. "But it's less than a few inches from your feet, Father. Couldn't you have been able to get it yourself?"

"Samuel," his father began laughing, shaking a finger at his son. "You know very well I cannot walk properly without my walking stick. Refrain from acting immature, run along and fetch it, Samuel."

Samuel grunted. He walked slowly over to the fire pit, where his father's stick was resting against a log. Grabbing it, he stepped a couple of feet and dropped the stick into his father's lap. "There. Now may I go back into the kitchen?"

The large, round stomach jiggled as his father spoke. "Fine, fine. You may leave," he laughed again. As Samuel turned to leave, he did not reach fives paces before his father called for him once more. "Hold on, son - why you are so preoccupied today? What is your fancy with the kitchen, anyway?"

"I'm helping Mum wash the five plates and the little silverware we own. Then there is the sweeping. Mum also asked me to dust the three chairs, scrub the table where we eat, and then mop the floorboards afterwards. She promised that she would show me your old uniform from the War if I helped her."

His father's expression grew stern. "Judging from the enormous smile, you are bursting with enthusiasm, but I do not approve," he said, shaking another finger at his son. "Such things should remain buried. Promise me son that if she shows it, you will not form foolish ideas about warfare? Warfare is horrible, cruel, and changes a man forever. I once witnessed –"

"Father! Please," the boy groaned. "Save your stories. I'm going to go now and help Mum."

He shook his head slowly and then glared at his son. "Come here! You know very well a punishment would arise for cutting me off, Samuel, but I am tired. I will not burden you with another lecture today or issue a fit punishment. Do not let your tongue slip again. Do you understand?"

Samuel immediately responded by shutting his jaw tightly and stroked the hairs on his arm, nodding slowly. He momentarily glanced at his father's cane, which lied by his right leg. Samuel remembered its other purpose.

It was May seventh, and Samuel had barely turned fourteen. His father had threatened on numerous occasions to never enter the warring room or a punishment would arise, but Samuel crept inside on a few occasions, regardless. He just could not resist because each time he entered, Samuel discovered something new. Whether it was the cartridge box or the many intricate pictures carved into the bone of the power horn, depicting battles and the tallies of the deaths and battles won, the boy was simply attracted to his father's war supplies, like a person was to drinking water.

One day, Samuel tip toed and curiously ventured inside the warring room, without permission again. His father happened to limp by, and spotted his son poking the muzzle of the musket, resting against a wall. Samuel's father hobbled inside, and a thunderous bellow echoed throughout the room.

Samuel remembered the repetitive scolding, and the speech his father said to him. "Samuel! You deliberately disobeyed me. How many damn times do I have to tell you? Do not enter this room! Shall I plug an eardrum? Maybe then, my words will not leak from your memory! These objects are not for touching, not now, or next week. When you are older, maybe then you will understand – a musket is a weapon, and a weapon leads to warfare; something I will not allow in my house! As God as my witness, I will not allow my son become a shadow of a soldier in this house or elsewhere.

When you turn eighteen, then I may consider teaching my boy how to properly load a musket but until that day, you will, absolutely not, venture into this room. Do I make my self clear?"

Samuel started chewing on a thumb nail and gulped. He slowly eased backwards but his father reached and dragged his son closer to his body by the collar of Samuel's shirt. His father's grip tightened, causing pinching by the nape and mild restriction of air flow, but Samuel's nerves proved to outdo any physical force. The rhythm of his heart accelerated, and Samuel felt certain it would burst if the constant beat did not slow itself. In conjunction with irregular heart beats, Samuel's throat became dry and itchy. The boy stood motionless but he felt as if an imaginary noose suddenly wrapped around his neck and breathing became short wheezing puffs, as he inhaled slowly and exhaled.

He peered into two furrowing, black eyebrows and a scowl that would have caused the Lord himself to shrink fearfully away. He gradually reached outwards and tapped his father's knuckles with an index finger, a hopeful signal for a release.

Instead, Samuel's father released the grip and swung his cane. The object collided into his son's calf and the boy cried out in pain.
___

He felt his eyes widened and he licked his lips from the memory. Samuel certainly did not want to experience another episode like that again.
His father waved a weary hand and the boy hurried out of the wide foyer and returned to the kitchen. About an hour had passed and Samuel finally finished the chores. His mother led her rambunctious, fifteen year old son to an unkempt room. Inside the room, it had one window.

"Mum, I cannot see anything! It's too dark in here."

"Shush, Samuel," she said in a firm voice to her impatient son. "It should only take a moment for our vision to adjust to the brightness of the warring room."

Samuel sulked and sank on the wood floor, near the entrance. "Alright, Mum. I'll wait."

"Your patience is overwhelming," his mother remarked sarcastically.

Samuel crossed his arms against his chest again and watched his mother move steadily around the room, occasionally stumbling on lead bullets or small stones. He watched her remove the bonnet from her head, carefully placing it near his filthy feet. She combed her hands through her gray hair that flowed down to her waist.

"Mum, why are you walking around the room? You've tripped twice on the lead balls."

"Oh, I am as curious as you are Samuel. It has been some time since I've actually glanced at all your father's belongings since he returned, tidied and swept in here. In fact, when I find the nerve, I need to wipe the dust from the window sill and floor. The artifacts clinging to the walls that I carefully displayed and his musket remind me the hardships your Father underwent, readjusting to a normal lifestyle. His escalating emotions of sadness and fear took a great deal of energy. Do you remember?"

He shook his head. "I don't, Mum, at least not well."

Samuel's mother sighed. "A story for another occasion but I suppose I shall be intelligent like you and sit for a few seconds, since the soles of my feet hurt a little," she said, calmly.

"Come here and sit next to me Mum. My eyes are starting to adjust already. I can already make out small objects." He patted a spot next to him with the palm of his hand.

His mother walked carefully and sat next to her son on the left side.

"Look, Mum!" Samuel pointed to the window. "I see knives!"

There were two daggers hanging on the wooden wall; one on each side of the window. The handles of the daggers were carved from deer antlers and glistened when light poured on them. There was also a hatchet that hung above the window. The boy's head darted in all directions of the room, glancing at every object he could see.

"What are you looking at?" his mother smiled.

"Everything. I've never had the chance to look at the objects for a long time, before. Did you know there is a horn next to the powderhorn?"

She nodded. "It's a bugle horn. Your Father will have to inform you of its importance some other day. What do you think?"

"Well, you always shooed me away when you caught me glancing in the room and Father would have cuffed my ears again if he ever saw me peering in here without permission. Father and you kept reminding me I needed to grow up more. He said he didn't approve when I told him about going into the warring room today, but you let me Mum. He also said I was acting immature." Samuel stomped his right foot at the thought.

His mother reached over and pinched his freckled cheeks, teasingly.

The boy pushed his mother's hands away hastily. "Come off it, Mum. Don't do that. You know I hate it when you treat me as a child."

When she noticed Samuel frown, she patted his shoulder lightly in an attempt to prove she was fooling. "Ignore your Father," she laughed. "Enjoy the remaining of your childhood. By eighteen or so, you'll wish you had it back. Everyone matures at different rates and you are no exception, Samuel."

"Thanks. So, Mum, where –"

A deep voice rang behind the two and started them, not hearing the usual creak and thud from a certain walking stick. "What a pair; I thought you were going to show our son my old uniform, Martha?"

"Welcome Garrison! You overgrown baboon, you frightened us both!"

"You love me anyway," Welcome replied and then smiled. "Now, Martha, why are you two squatting in front of the entrance, like two ducks?"

"We were first waiting for our eyes to adjust to the brightness from the window, Father but Mum started talking."

"Well, I am sure the conversation with your mother was enlightening but the purpose is being delayed. Step aside you two. I will fetch the horse blanket, since Samuel was allowed in the room; I know he will not stop pestering us until he sees the rag."

Samuel and Martha moved away from the entrance and stood in the hallway.

"Careful, Father," Samuel shouted. "Do you need help?!"

"No! A short distance should not aggravate my injury," he bellowed towards the hallway.

Within a minute, Welcome called to Samuel. "Here, son; I found it!"

The boy raced into the room again, his eyes sparkling with excitement. "Ohh… It's grand, Father! How did you find it so fast?" he asked in an enthusiastic voice.

"I could locate the red suit, blindfolded, although I had forgotten about the obstructions on the floor. A reminder by you, Samuel, would have been considerate before I entered, since you were the first one hollering to me from the hallway. I suppose I am fortunate in that sense to not jeopardize myself further by accidentally tripping."

"May I put the uniform on?" Samuel said, ignoring his father's comment.

"The uniform is a horse blanket by my standards and yes you may wear it, on one condition." Welcome hobbled over to Samuel and clasped his shoulder. "Remember our conversation earlier today?"

"Yes, Father."

"You may wear it, only if I have your vow that you will never engage in any type of warfare." Welcome pointed behind him with a thumb. "I do not want any of these artifacts or this uniform to encourage your will to enlist in any forms of warfare." Welcome squeezed his son's shoulder tighter. "What say you, Samuel?"

"Of course, Father! I would never do such a thing. May I wear it now, please?" Clasping his hands, Samuel peered upwards to the tall and overweight man.

"Do I have your vow, son?" Welcome repeated.

Samuel started jumping in short distances from the floor. "Yes! I promise. Now, may I put it on, please?"

"Martha! Come in here, please," Welcome hollered towards the hallway.

Martha, who stood a couple inches from the room's entrance, was able to hear the conversations between father and son. She walked into the warring room and glanced at her husband questioningly.

"Good of you to join us, my woman." He pointed to Samuel with an index finger. "How could I say 'no' to that cute face, Martha? Those bunched lips and over exaggerated whimpers are testaments that our son is a beggar," Welcome remarked, with a smile slowly spreading on his face.

"He's your son, Welcome," she smiled.

"Well, go ahead son. Put it on and let us see how it fits."

Samuel dashed up beside his father. He reached and gripped the white collar of the uniform that lied crumpled near Welcome's musket. "Can you help me, Father? It's too big."

"Indeed. It was my uniform," he said. "Come here, I will help put on the old horse blanket." Welcome dropped his cane on the floor and balanced his weight the best he could, and held up the uniform so Samuel could slip his arms into it. "Turn around, son. Let us take a gander at how you look."
Samuel turned in slow circles, with his arms extended outwards. "How do I look, Father?"

Welcome brought his finger towards his lip and studied the boy. "I am not sure.

"How does our young pioneer look?" Welcome asked, still studying Samuel seriously.

"He looks filthy! When was the last time you bathed yourself, Samuel?" she asked by placing one hand on each of her hips, tapping a foot quickly.

Welcome's belly jiggled as his bellowing laughter rang throughout the walls. "That should satisfy my jollies this evening. On the rare occasion, your mother's comments never fail to have me laughing. I do not know if sarcasm was present in her comment but one of these days, a person may drop dead from the odor emitting from your body, such as your armpits for example. Fortunately, your mother and I are used to your uncleanly ness."

Samuel lifted a flap of the uniform and sniffed underneath his arm. Shrugging, "It's not like I'm about to get married. Who cares how I smell."

"You may some day. Come son, you have had your fun. It is time to put this thing away for another time."

"Oh, Father. Can't I wear it a bit longer?" Samuel gazed upwards to lock eyes with his fathers. He bunched up his lower lip and pretended to whimper.

Welcome sighed and waved his hand. "Ask your mother." He reached down and picked up his cane, careful to not lose his balance. He limped from the room, leaving Samuel and Martha alone.

"Well, can I?"

"I suppose you cannot get dirtier, what with the stains of blood found on the green cuffs," she sighed.

Samuel's face lit up, after hearing that. He circled a few more times, admiring the uniform. I don't care what Father says. He's a foolish old man, Samuel thought to himself. I love the dark blue crisscrossed stripes, in the center of the coat. The crossed lines seem to add depth to the red colour of the uniform. Father was lucky. His uniform meant he experienced excitement and the blood showed he must have had a victory. I wish I could experience what Father did and be apart of something greater than Massachusetts. Besides, Father was in his late fifties; speed couldn't have been a strong trait. I'm younger and faster with reflexes, so a bullet should not hit my kneecap, like him, if I'm paying attention. If the time comes, I will join proudly.

"Are you finished, Samuel?"

The boy nodded happily, removing the uniform and handing it to his mother. He didn't mention his secret thoughts and turned to leave the unkempt warring room.

When he was walking down the hallway, his mother called to him one last time. "Samuel, before the sun departs, go to the stream and give yourself a good scrub. You smell awful."

Samuel groaned, walking through the log house. He walked slowly past the sitting room, where his father was in a rocking chair, reading and exited outdoors to a nippy evening.

"Oh, in the filth!" A door slammed and a large man entered the log house. The man was corpulent; fat jiggled and swerved whenever he walked. He was balding, and short stubs of gray hair formed around his head; smooth skin showing in the middle. The man severally injured his right kneecap in a war he had been evolved with and required the use of a cane to improve his mobility.

Creak, thud. Creak, thud. Creak, thud.

A fifteen year old boy scurried into the hallway to greet his father. "Hello, Father. How was your walk?"

Welcome grumbled, and quietly muttered curses under his breath.

"What did you say?"

"I said nothing of the sort. Fetch your mother, and meet me in the sitting room. I have much to discuss with the pair of you."

Samuel cocked his head, and appeared confused by his father's words.

Welcome, sensing his son's confusion, smiled faintly and tried again. "Samuel, fetch your mother and meet me in the sitting room. Go on," his father said, by nudging his bum with the cane, "Do not delay. It is important."

Samuel turned and yelled towards the kitchen, "Mum! Father wants us to meet him in the sitting room. He said it was important."

He ruffled his son's hair, causing the strands to stick out wildly again. "We both know you have a fine pair of lungs, Samuel. But what say you save some of that air and put it to better use some other day?" His father said, chuckling. "Come, we will wait for her in the sitting room."

Welcome limped and leaned heavily on his right side as he walked. When they reached the wide foyer, Samuel darted ahead of his father and selected a spot near the fire pit to sit. Welcome ducked a few inches, upon entering so as to not bump his forehead. He resumed his favorite place to sit quietly; the rocking chair which was parallel from Samuel. He placed his cane, on the floor next to his right foot.

"What's all the commotion about?" A short and skinny woman, not much taller than five feet entered the foyer, while she was drying her hands with her apron.

"Mum! Come sit next to me. I saved a spot for you," the boy said, grinning. He patted an area next to him where she could sit; a long piece of slate with soot that settled on the thin rock.

"Samuel, shush. Come in, Martha. I have news that the pair of you should be aware of."

Martha entered slowly and selected a spot next to her husband; a carved bench from wood, to the left of Welcome. Samuel frowned at his mother's decision, but said nothing. He only crossed his arms against his clean, black shirt and groaned.

She placed her hand on his lap and squeezed his thigh gently. "What news do you bring today?"

Welcome lowered his head and shook it slowly; Samuel still sulking by the pit. "It appears Parliament has issued a tax that all Colonies are expected to follow," he said, speaking softer than his usual deep voice.

"What type of tax? When did it happen?"

He rubbed his temples clockwise, closing his eyes and ignoring his wife's questions temporally. After a few moments, he opened them, turned to his left to speak directly to Martha.

"Remember the Molasses Act of thirty-three?"

"A little, why?"

"The new act is similar to it, only there is a three cent tax on foreign refined sugar and increased taxes on coffee, indigo, and certain kinds of wine. The Parliament has also forbid importation of rum and French wines. They are calling it the Sugar Act."

"But…" Martha brought both her hands to her cheeks and gaped open-mouthed.

"Astonished as I am, I see," Welcome remarked dryly.

"But we cannot afford that."

"I am aware, Martha. What Gods honest right does that tyrant overseas have to tax without the consent of the Colonies?"

"I don't know. Perhaps, the British are looking for a way to fund their losses. How harsh was the war? I know you've mentioned it on the odd occasion, but I never wanted to press you for further details."

"If you are referring to the Seven Years War, I believe the losses were great, although I only served a small part as a soldier. When I was shot in my knee, I was discharged in fifty-nine."

"But that is three years you served."

"You forget, my good women. That war lasted seven long years and I only served a portion of that. I know no more then you or anyone else, about the real reason for this Sugar Act. But perhaps," Welcome said, waving his index finger in front of Martha, "You might be correct. I have heard rumors from others who were soldiers far longer than I and have mentioned the debt the British suffered. This tax could be their own solution to pay for their losses."

"Then what are we to do?"

"I have thought about that, the whole miserable trip back home today. Thank goodness our little house is not far from town. The conclusion I have come up with is revolting against it." Welcome's face grew stern, and his bushy brows hunched forward. "What say you, Martha?"

A few drops trickled down her cheeks. She wiped them away and with a faint smile she held both of her husband's hands, peering up to meet two dark, brown eyes that were staring at her questionably. "I do not really approve. What would the penalties be, if we and others went against the Crown?"

He shrugged. "Likely death or something inhumane," he said honestly.

"Excuse me, but I'm still here!" Samuel said, waving his hands in the air, to gain attention. "What are you two babbling about? I've been sitting here and all you are doing is squabbling about some Act and taxes. What do you mean, revolting? Why are you and Mum talking about death? Are we going to die?"

"Shush son!" Welcome snapped. "I will explain later."

"Then may I leave?" Samuel asked in a pleading voice.

"No, and shush for the last time! You plant your bum firmly to that spot and do not move."

Samuel nodded. "I am sorry, Father."

"Good." Welcomed returned his focus towards his wife again, "Now that the interruptions have ceased, will you join me? It is the only answer that is true in my heart. This has to be the way."

Martha began to fidget and squirm on the bench but after a minute she nodded. "I trust you do have our family at heart, so I will help in any way possible."

Welcome slapped Martha's back lightly and a wide smile spread on his lips.

"You are obviously pleased by my choice," she said uncertainty. "Let us pray that this is the only tax we will have to face."

"Hear, hear! That is the spirit!" Welcomed shouted. "She is a tough old bird, isn't she Samuel?"

He returned his father's excitement and smiled but he was secretly confused. He put some of the pieces to the puzzle together and realized that the Sugar Act could cause friction with his family, neighbors and with the rest of the Colonies. But he could not understand what his father meant by revolting and why their lives could be at risk.

"You appear confused about something, son. What is it?"

His jaw dropped, at the thought of his father reading his mind. "How did you know?" he said, pointing accusingly.

Welcome chuckled softly. "What do you ever mean?"

The boy slowly inhaled and exhaled reassuringly. "Nothing, Father. Are you going to tell me what you and Mum were talking about? I understand a little. There is a new tax, called the Sugar Act and Mum and you want to revolt against it. By the way, what does it mean to revolt?"

"Oh, my dear inquisitive son," he began, chuckling. "Revolting… How should I phrase the word?" His father tapped one side of his head with a finger. "Ah… Samuel, have you heard the word 'rebel' or 'rebelling?'"

"Yes, I suppose so. Why?"

"Do you know the meaning?"

"I think so. It means to 'put up a fuss.'"

Smiling, Welcome beckoned to his son. "Come closer to us. No need for you to be across the room, even if it is not a far distance."

Samuel obeyed his wishes and walked briskly to where his mother and father were and plunked himself on the rough, wooden floor so he was facing his father's face.

"Thank you. And the word rebel has a more pronounced meaning; to refuse allegiance. You see, there is a ruler, His Majesty King George the Third, who lives overseas in a country known to many as Britain. The British Empire is very powerful and those who show no respect to His Majesty are often killed; usually by a firing squad or hung in the gallows."

Martha swatted her husband's shoulder. "Stop! He won't be able to sleep tonight if you fill his head with such stories."

"Stories indeed," Welcome huffed. "Samuel, do you understand so far?"

"I do, Father. King George must be a real rat for you and Mum to disobey his word."

His father nodded and continued. "My plan is to refuse any shipments that come into Boston Harbor. If your mother is correct about the British attempting to repair their debt and the Colonists revolt against other shipments of sugar, indigo and coffee; I hope His Majesty will come to terms with his decision and refrain from further taxation in the future."

Samuel whooped and hollered, dancing crazily around the room.

"Sit your bum down, son. At your age, I would have been hunting, tending to cows or planting. Your childish excitement shows you are not quite ready for such an undertaking. That is why your mother visits our goodhearted neighbors; they spare us food. Besides, I am not through speaking," he said, calmly. "Before you run off and create havoc, there are a few guidelines you must follow. Firstly, you will not harm any of the British officers. That means you will not provoke, threaten or attempt to kill them. That would be an act of treason in their eyes and your mother and I could not bear to lose you. So do not pull any foolish stunts. Second, I do trust you are mature enough to become my middleman, Samuel."

"Middleman! Welcome dear, I do not think that is a wise –"

He raised a palm to halt Martha from speaking. "Son, you know I cannot walk properly. I can barely walk half a mile without pain. Besides… I'm fifty-nine; I do not have the youthful strength anymore. I need for you to carry out any requests I ask of you."

"You mean you want me to help you with the Sugar Act?"

"Yes, and any other taxation that rotten scoundrel overseas throws in our faces. Your mother will help too but only in private, at home; without the use of sugar and molasses to cook with. I fear too much that the British would release their fury more on an innocent women than a young man."

Samuel smiled when he heard that his father referred to him as a man. He watched his son, as he tossed his shoulders back and saluted his father. "General, sir! What are my orders, sir?"

Welcome sighed, shaking his head. "Martha, could you try and settle our rambunctious son? And please remind him, he is not a soldier, nor is going to become one, right Samuel?"

The boy's head fell. "Look what you did, you big galoot. You hurt his feelings," Martha said, swatting her husband's thigh, angrily.

Welcome grunted. "Nonetheless, I never want him to act as a soldier. Now, Samuel, are you ready for your first order?"

Samuel jumped onto his feet and nodded eagerly.

"That is my boy," he grinned. "I want you to find every drop of sugar and molasses in this house, build a fire outdoors and burn it. And in your travels, if you spot rum bottles, burn those too. I do not want to be influenced by sipping, if we are revolting. These are your chores this afternoon."

"Oh, I will Father. You can count on me." And before his mother or father could finalize anything else, Samuel sprinted away to collect all the sugar and molasses he could find.
Last edited by Fishr on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:15 am, edited 13 times in total.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:22 am
zelithon says...

Is it a cuweenkydink, he shares the southpark lastname? :?
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

365 Reviews

Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:51 am
Fishr says...

he shares the southpark lastname?

:shock:
Come again? It's been years since I've seen southpark, maybe thirteen. Which charactor are you referring too? :) [/quote]

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:05 am
ummcowsareawesome says...

Shes refering to Mr. Garrison, the kids gay teacher who carries around "Mr. Hat", a weird sock puppet that he talks to. He also had "Mr. Slave" at one point.
LoveHorseshoe79 (4:28:03 PM): the worst thing is to make someone you love miserable because they are so scared to like someone else because you are always hovering over them

Yes, I know, I'm very wise and knowing.

365 Reviews

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:20 am
Fishr says...

Interesting. :lol: No, I assure everyone that I did not draw influence from southpark for the surname. The name came to me instantly when I was "speed writing" and went with it. 8)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:01 am
Crayon says...

I really did like your choice of words thought. great Imagery, i could really see them sitting in the doorway (oh i love southpark....so does me dad...weird!)
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

365 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:23 pm
Fishr says...

March 22, 1765 – Boston, Massachusetts – Boston's Radical, Homeless, and Two Gifts

These were troubling times. Father asked for my help; he wanted mum and me to rebel against English shipments of imported foreign sugars, molasses and coffee. Earlier in life, when I was thirteen, I explored every trail around our property, as well as the main roads that led into town. I often pretended I was a great soldier, like father. I'd sharpen the ends of thin sticks with a rock, which served as swords. Slate that I found on the earth became my knives. The forest that surrounds the outskirts of my house, served as a fort and for hours, I would pretend I was protecting my fort from intruders. I worked on becoming as stealthy as possible by crawling on my belly, hunting frogs or snakes with my knives. I learned that by lying downwind, animals couldn't sense my presence as easily and I was able to creep towards and slash them proudly, bring my prizes home and watch mum squeal and screech.

Now, that I had a real mission; I helped boycott the Act, with father's direction. Since April of last year, the taxation continued and anything I found that represented the tax, I burned it. Father encouraged me to do it but outdoors so our neighbors would witness the bonfires. When word reached of what my family was attempting, others joined too, to the point where sugar, molasses and coffee were hardly in use. Our view was that if any Colonist purchased them, they were loyal to England. This led to friction, and trusts among friends were divided.

However, I became something of a local hero in Boston - the boy that would risk his own neck to uphold the cause. Late at night, when mum and father were asleep, I'd creep into town, not far from my house and meet with gentleman regarded highly among the Colonies. Using the little training I formed as a younger version of my self, the moon became my candle to guide my feet and the trees to hide my presence until I reached the Whigs in town; a group of shopkeepers, merchants and politicians who discussed plans in secrecy to abolish taxing without permission from the Colonial Legislature. We felt we should have a say on how we're to be taxed.

One of the leaders of this organization was Samuel Adams, who voiced his opinions strongly. He believed there shouldn't be 'taxation without representation,' as he often mentioned it. The other person, who was also popular, was a silversmith from Boston, named Paul Revere. In total, there were nine members, including myself. Although, I had not played an important role within the group by speaking of politics, I sometimes lashed out to those who bought boycotted goods from ships. I'd follow a person into an ally, and observe them for a few moments, taking special care to not attack a British officer. When I was certain I was alone, I attacked the Colonist by means of knocking the person unconscious, steal their sugars and such and sprint home. This way, they would not know my identity. When word reached of a 'shadow' attacking unexpected targets, alarm and worry started to spread.

A few months back, I was hiding in the shadows of an abandoned ally, studying my victim. That day, I was reckless and never made sure he had purchased the goods. Instead, I crept behind the person in preparation to attack the Colonist but I stepped on a twig; it snapped and the man whirled around to spot a young man, holding a thick tree branch. He was quicker than me and snatched the branch at lightning speed before I reacted. Upon doing so, he knocked me flat on my bum, jammed his knee into my stomach and pinned my head by pressing the branch against my throat.

The man asked who I was and why I was about to attack him.

"My name… is… Sam…uel Garrison," I heaved, praying for oxygen. The sky began to turn a brilliant bluish hue and my lungs ached terribly. I tried freeing myself by punching his arm to break his grasp. No use, the man was too heavy and I felt weak without fresh air. The man let up on the pressure of my throat and I spoke hastily. "Sir, don't harm me! I thought you bought some sugar and only wanted to take it from you, and burn it. But I won't, if you don't kill me," I pleaded. "Please, I was only following my father's wishes."

The man loosened his grip immediately after I spoke and held out his right hand. Confused, I grabbed it and he pulled me steadily to my feet. While fresh air poured into my lungs, I leaned against the man for support so I didn't pass out.

"So ye are the infamous shadow? I do not think you know how much trouble ye caused boy," the man chuckled. "The streets of Boston have been on guard for some time now. I apologize for the attack but are you alright?"

I nodded, while rubbing my throat for comfort.

The man smiled and bowed. "Allow me to introduce myself, Master Garrison. My name is also Samuel; Samuel Adams to be exact." Mister Adams peered around as if he was searching for something important. He untied his gray tunic and tossed it over our heads and pulled me to the side, tighter into the ally, and then tossed it over his back and retied his tunic around his neck. "Samuel, others and I would be gracious if you would attend a meeting tomorrow night. You have earned quite a reputation and the others have mentioned they would want to meet this shadow. The men think of the shadow, you, as the foremost character of brutish but essential action to perceive the answer – Justice. There are eight members of a secret society. We call ourselves, the Sons of Liberty." Mister Adams noted our surroundings and continued. "If ye come, venture into town in secrecy. Let no one see you. If the redcoats-"

"The what?"

"Shh…" Mister Adams put a finger to his lips and began to speak hastily. "The redcoats are the British. We hope too see you, Master Garrison. Meet us behind the Old South Meeting House at precisely midnight."

"But-"

Mister Adams interrupted me by lightly hitting my back. "God speed, and be cautious, Samuel." And before I was able to mention that my father would disapprove, Mister Adams walked briskly away.

"Samuel, are you alright? You look you haven't slept a wink for some time. Has your Father been pushing you too much?" Mum asked with concern.

I was lying on some torn, linen shirts in the sitting room, next to the fire pit. We only had four rooms in our house; the kitchen, the sitting room, father's chamber where he keeps his supplies from the war and father and mum's bedroom was located parallel across the warring room. There wasn't much space to build a proper area for me to sleep, and the warring room was too cluttered; too much work. Near the pit, I made due by piling bunches of shirts into a mattress and pillows. Father's gave me spare buckskins when he used to hunt, and I used the animal's skin as blankets. All the layers served as by bed.

Sitting up, I leaned against the wall, and rubbed my eyes. "I'm fine. Where is Father?"

"He went into town this morning, while you were resting. He wanted you to join him, but you appeared so weary; he decided not to interrupt. How are you feeling? For a strapping seventeen year old lad, such as yourself, you shouldn't be tired. Are you not sleeping well? Perhaps I should go to town and have a proper bed built -"

"Mum! I'm fine! Really, I am. I've been going… I've been going to bed later than usual. Besides, I'm not seventeen yet; another five months to go, remember?"

She frowned and looked hurt by my outburst but kissed me on the cheek anyway. "Mum…," I groaned, whipping the kiss away. "Don't do that."

Patting my head gently, she walked back into the kitchen and tended to other matters. Feeling my head becoming heavy, I collapsed on top of the shirts and went back to sleep.
___

"Ouch! Who did that?" I screamed, shaken from my nap.

"I did, son," A familiar voice boomed. "You missed dinner. The sun is about to depart; care to explain what is wrong? Your mother has informed me that you have been sleeping all day. And it is not just her, Samuel. I have noticed it too. Your constant fatigue lately is beginning to worry us both. Now, would you care to enlighten us, or shall I swing my walking stick into your spine again?"

I bolted upright after hearing father's threat. Ignoring the minor pain, I raced through my mind, trying to figure a way to explain the meetings with the Sons and my vicious actions in the allies of town.

"Well…?" Father sat in his rocking chair and beckoned for me to walk closer to him, with his finger. Obeying his wishes, I nervously walked and sat in front of his feet.

"I asked your mother to leave us be, so do not bother calling for her." He bent over and clasped my shoulder tightly, with his left hand. "Come, son," he urged. "You have never kept secrets from me before. What is wrong?"

"Late at night I have been sneaking out!" I blurted and immediately cupped my mouth. I thought my heart skipped a beat and I braced myself for a lickin'.

"You've what?" he said sharply, removing his grasp from my shoulder and glared into my frightened face.

I shook my head, afraid to remove my hands and blurt more.

He leaned forward, tore my hands away and pressed his stick tightly on my right palm. The pressure caused me to yelp in pain. I tried to pull it from under father's walking stick but the weight of his arm kept my hand pinned. My eyes began to swell and small tears trickled down my cheeks.

"When you decide to cooperate, I will remove it. Until then son, remember the pain you are feeling, is the pain I am feeling now. You disobeyed your mother and me, and ventured out in the darkness? What were you thinking? Have your brains fallen through your ears recently? Brace yourself that I do not insist you sleep with the bears tonight," he said firmly.

The pain was beginning to become unbearable and my hand was turning a brilliant red, like a tomato. "I'll cooperate!" I screeched, unable to handle the pain any longer.

He removed his stick instantly, hunched over and rubbed my swollen palm tenderly. When the colour returned normal, I decided that my ears would be boxed no matter what I tried: If I was silent – hollering and a punishment by father. If I spoke, I ran the risk of blurting too much – hollering and a punishment. I was damned either way. "Father, I have something to tell you, but please don't be angry. I was following your wishes about that tax."

He removed his hand from mine and rubbed his chin. "What does the Sugar Act have to do with your feet running all over God's green earth at all hours of the night? I do not follow. Please, clarify yourself, son."

"Remember last year when you wanted me to become your middleman and asked me to carry out your wishes in attempt to rebel against the redcoats?"

"Yes and where did you hear about that word?" he said, studying my face carefully.

Feeling hope that he would understand, I continued. "Samuel Adams taught me the word, Father. He says the British are known as redcoats because they dress in red uniforms. I've been sneaking late at night, while you and Mum were sleeping and scurrying into town. There is a group of men, Father. Every night, we meet behind the Old South Meeting House at midnight, and then relocate to the Green Dragon Tavern to hold our meetings. Paul Revere is part of the group too."

He studied my face. I watched his eyebrows arch down and his cheeks began to turn a rich, reddish colour. "May I inquire what sort of group is this? I know of the two you speak of, however. Adams is becoming recognized for his views about politics and Revere is renowned in Boston for his skill in wielding metals."

My face lit up when father said he knew these two men. I temporally forgot about my worry and spoke, delighted that he wanted to know more. "It is a committee. They call themselves, the Sons of Liberty or Whigs for short. I'm not supposed to tell anyone about their identity and where we meet, but you're family, so it cannot hurt to tell you."

"What do you mean by we?"

Panic gushed inside again, and I realized I spilled too much, too soon. My head fell. "I am a Whig," I murmured.
Last edited by Fishr on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

365 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:38 am
Fishr says...

double post
Last edited by Fishr on Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

365 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:38 am
Fishr says...

"You are a what?" I heard the tension in his voice and braced myself for when his temper would erupt.

Raising my head, I faced two dark, brown eyes glaring. "I am a Whig," I said firmly. Upon hearing that news, he brought himself from the chair and limped back and forth, pacing.

After minutes slipped by, he sat in his rocking chair and asked why I would join such a group and asked about the purpose of it again. I stood, hugged him hard and told him the Sons of Liberty were a small band of men that discussed politics, primarily led by Mister Adams and how they spoke of tactics to overcome taxation without representation. I hadn't mentioned my attacks or how I came to meet one of its leaders. I was curious what father would say, after hearing my explanation.

He scratched his smooth chin and than rubbed one of my cheeks with the back of his hand. "It seems to me, you have learned a great deal through these gentleman, son. I admire your intentions, but why did you not come forth and speak to your mother and me about the situation?"

"I thought you would cuff my ears," I said honestly.

He finally smiled, leaned over and hugged me lightly. When he let go, father began to rub his chin again, thinking all that I have said so far. "Samuel, whilst I am not pleased about your drastic decision and mark my words; you will be punished, however, this secret committee you speak of sounds to be a noble cause. You are almost seventeen, and a year after that, an adult. As long as you are certain there has not been any violence or intolerable acts physically to His Majesty's officers, I do not see a reason why you cannot continue to keep meeting with them."

My jaw dropped and I ran to squeeze the old man as tight as I could. "Thank you, thank you, Father! You don't have to worry. We've only been talking, and that is all. I promise." A flash of a thick branch pressed against my throat entered my mind. I quickly released my grasp and turned so that my back was facing him.

Hearing a thunderous laugh, I heard a deep voice speak to me. "Afraid to show affection, Samuel? Turn around so I can face my boy growing too quickly for me."

I remembered how he warned to not show violence towards the redcoats and the penalties that would follow – physical pain or death, but how would he react to an attack? And on a fellow Colonist, even if they were supporting the King. His orders in the past seemed to require if I found goods freely, burn them. He never mentioned to hunt and punish those supporting England.

After a few seconds of my mind racing, I mentioned I had one more story left. Father swatted my hip gently with his walking stick and urged me to tell him. I began to inhale and exhale slowly, trying to calm my nerves. When I felt confident, I ran through how I bumped into Mister Adams, about how he mistook the attack and asked me to be apart of the group. I told him how I earned a reputation on the streets of Boston as a 'shadow,' stalking and knocking Colonists unconscious behind their backs, stealing their sugar, rum or anything that had a tax, and burned them at home.

When I finished, I waited for his reaction. Father at first, didn't reply. He sat in his chair, staring wide-eyed into thin air. After a few seconds, I wondered if he fallen asleep with his eyes open, so I waved a hand in front of his face to snap his attention. It worked; snatching my wrist tightly, he pulled me into his face. "Samuel! You… Are you… I thought we raised you better. What in the blue hell were you thinking? I warned you to not attack… I did not think you would harm… Why?" he barked.

The sound caused me to jump backwards, but he still gripped my wrist and yanked me forward into his face again. "I… But you said… You said to not harm any redcoats, Father and I haven't. I made sure they weren't British officers. The people I stole from were not wearing red uniforms."

"Samuel," he signed and finally let go. "They are things you do not know. The British do not always wear their customary uniforms. You could have been harming His Majesty's officers, and you say Boston has been in an uproar because of you? This is not good news. If that was the reason Adams wanted you to join his Sons of Liberty, then I am afraid I am having a difficult time judging his motives."

The thought of possibly attacking the redcoats, while they walked the streets as ordinary Colonists hadn't occurred to me. I felt my insides quiver, like I swallowed something foul and clenched my stomach.

"Samuel," he began with a grim appearance, "If this was a normal situation where you misbehaved, the punishment would be fierce; something you would never forget but this whole dilemma is my fault."

"It is?" I asked, removing the grip around my stomach.

"I am afraid so, son. Never in my wildest dreams would I have envisioned my kin become so loyal to Massachusetts. You are correct. I said to not harm the British, but it is my fault to not have mentioned that they can appear anywhere, without their red uniforms. I understand you were trying to follow my wishes and in doing so, you furthered your own belief to alter the cause. Though I am not entirely sure if I am with this organization you have been following for God knows how long, I will follow through what I said earlier. If you are certain this group is not violent and you acted on your own accord, then I assume you have learned from your mistake, Samuel. You may continue to meet in private with these men. I promise I will not visit or share your endeavors with your mother."

"Oh, thank you!" I hopped onto his lap, hugged and slobbered kisses all over his cheeks. When I finished, I laughed to see my father overtaken by my sudden reaction. "Are you blushing?"

He rubbed one of his cheeks, holding me tightly in his arms. "No."

I rubbed my hand on the other smooth cheek. The right side of it felt warm and sticky. "Liar, your cheeks are red and warm," I smiled.

Father returned my smile, agreed he had bluffed, and eased me off his lap, so that I was standing.

"It's good you won't tell Mum. She probably blab it to everyone."

"Possibly, but speaking of which, it is late. I bet the old bird is fast asleep and you must be exhausted yourself, Samuel. I said you could meet with Revere, Adams and the others but I do not want you to go off scampering every night. Furthermore, let us make some sort of sign to acknowledge you have left for the night."

"Like what?"

"I am thinking. Give me a few. I might have a solution," he said, shortly. "It will cost me some much needed rest but I will check the sun dial in our room when the sun rises and keep track of the hours until midnight. Before you leave, I want you to caw like a crow, outside, near our window. This way you have signaled to me you are leaving but mix the sounds every now and again, like croaking like a frog or hissing like a snake. Please do not howl; we do not want your mother thinking there is a wolf nearby. By mixing the sounds, she should not become suspicions."

"But she will notice how tired I am."

"She will not, if you do not venture out every night. Mention to Adams or whoever is primarily in charge-"

"It's Mister Adams in most cases," I interrupted.

"Alright, then mention to Adams that you cannot meet every night because it is causing you to become overly tired."

"I can do that. Thanks Father," I said, hugging him again.

"Well, come on, let us gets some sleep. Would you like me to tuck you in?"

"Father, I am not a child anymore."

He smiled and asked if I would be warm enough. "Yes, I will be fine."

I walked slowly to the left of father, while he leaned on his walking stick. I stopped at the fire pit and lied on my side, where as father turned a right-hand corner heading for my parent's bedroom. A thought occurred and I called him back from the hall.

I heard an awkward sound, as father limped towards me and stood in front of the foyer. "What is it, Samuel?" he asked, yawning and stretching.

"Why do you say, 'His Majesties' when you are referring to the redcoats?"

Yawning again, he hobbled into my quarters, and whispered. "To make an exceedingly long story short, you have forgotten the time I spent in war. I served and fought with the British and pushed the French away, securing new territories. I suppose deep in my heart, I have a small shred of loyalty left. You may not know, but I was born in England. That is between you, your mother and me," he said shaking a finger, warning me not to blab. "You would not want your dear Father to be executed for treason, would you?

I shook my head. "Of course not. I didn't know, Father. I thought you were born in Boston?"

"I left Britain and settled in Massachusetts when I was a boy. They provided food, a roof, and when I was old enough, my parents taught me to read and write but your mother is native to Boston, as you are."

"Are you a Loyalist, Father?"

"I am nothing of the sort! I may have been born overseas, but I never adhered to the likings of King Tyrant."

He yawned, turned and before I allowed him to enter the hallway, I called him back one more time.

"What is it now?" he said, starting to become irritable.

"Was there any news in town today, while you were there?"

He nodded and leaned forward to deliver a fright into my ear. "Are you certain?"

"I am certain, son. I wish not to tell your mother tonight, but tomorrow I will. The new tax that is included with the previous is called the Stamp Act and another – the Quartering Act," he said in a hoarse whisper. "Now, I am sure you will ask what they involve, but go to sleep, Samuel. I will fill the pair of you with all the details tomorrow. Rest my little Patriot."

Before I could ask what a patriot was, he had already limped away and I heard a thwack as the door to my parent's room was shut. Laying my head slowly on top of the shirts, I felt dazed and tired but I didn't fall asleep right away, not until dawn approached.
Last edited by Fishr on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:29 am
Snoink says...

to enjoy each others company

I'm pretty sure that there should be an apostrophe somewhere in there. Where? Er... I have a confession to make. I am really really bad with handling apostrophes. Maybe someone else can help...?

"You called for me father?"

It should be: "You called for me, Father?"

Note the comma and the capitalized F. The comma seperates me from Father, which means that the speaker "me" is not the father. Very important. As far as the capitalized F, when the words "mother" and "father" are by themselves and used as a title, they are capitalized. That goes for "Mom" and "Dad" as well. And any title really. If I say, "Go to Sister" I would capitalize the S. But that sounds wrong to our ears, so we say, "Go to my sister."

The main exception would be "sir" or "madam." They were used so much that it became common courtesy. We don't capitalize them.

He stood, with his arms folded across his bare chest. The boy was wearing light, brown breeches. His hair was dark brown and cut short just below his earlobes.

I think this would work better if this were combined into one paragraph.

That's the grammar portion. :P There's other parts of the story I want to touch on as well, including dialogue and introducing characters. Oh! And crossgender writing. But for now, salivate as you wait for my entry. I have to go now. ><
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:14 am
Fishr says...

Old news from 2005.
Last edited by Fishr on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:36 am
Snoink says...

Crossgender is a word I made up for writing really quick, because I had to leave right then. So! If it has another meaning that could be used for writing, great! I'll keep on using it, because I'm not quite sure what it ought to be called.

So! In order: Crossgender, introducing characters, and dialogue. Of course, that's only the broad topics. They meld into each other quite well, I think you'll find.

Crossgender

This is only for advanced writers, but I'm sure you can handle it! Basically, what crossgender means is, in a way, "becoming" the other gender. We're girls. That's cool and all, but we got to learn how to be guys if we want to write properly. I think you can handle this easily. You're a writer who can easily pass for both sexes in your writing. Your style is flexible enough to go either way. But I think, because you want to convey this fifteen year old as just a boy who really doesn't understand what he's getting into, you're not getting into his character well enough.

This is perfectly understandable. It's hard enough to write for someone who doesn't understand the implications of war, but to have it as another gender is even more difficult. So, what do you do? My first suggestion would be to see how guys talk. You've probably done a lot of this already, but I think it would be that much better if you interviewed several young guys' opinions on Iraq. And then, to get a perspective of a vet's view about it, I would interview some of our vets and see what they think about war. :) It would be interesting anyway. Remember, though this is historical fiction, human nature is still the same. There are still horrors of war, no?

But don't hold back on the guy. Right now, he seems a mite unrealistic. We'll get more into that later though. :P

Introducing Characters

You might be surprised to hear about this, maybe because it seems so natural, but Sadie's father really wasn't really important at first. In fact, once he dropped her off, he was out of the story. Why? Because he just wasn't an important character! So, the introduction was lame, and I didn't try to improve it until I finally realized how important he actually was.

...oops.

When I first started writing for him, after I discarded any hopes for him being a minor character, I decided to make him supremely evil and mysterious. What did I do? I barely described him at all and made him sneer a lot. Oh, the drama.

So basically, when I should have been making him stand out, I didn't. And my descriptions! Gah! It made him sound like the typical stereotype.

So... don't fall in the trap I did. Remember to describe your character. Remember, stereotypes are good in a way. They help you come up with the basis of your character. But you have to describe them well.

Now! First let's look at the father. He jiggles his belly to an extent that is almost criminal, he bellow, and he seems to be pretty good natured. Except when he hears about war! Then he instantly becomes uptight.

You need to develop him. I have a feeling that he is a minor character, but he still influences the young'un's life.

Speaking of the young'un...

He is polite, but isn't, and is so... well...

More on that... tomorrow!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:48 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Mr. Garrison?

Sorry Mr. Hat.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

365 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:02 pm
Fishr says...

Old news from 2005.
Last edited by Fishr on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:44 am
Jiggity says...

there are some little grammatical errors, nothing that dramatically effects the story. But still...
"Come here and next to me Mum,

and sit next to me.

for the vision to adjust

for her vision.

why are you two squating

squatting

Perhaps, the British is looking

are

thats all I saw, otherwise I really liked the story; there was great description so it was easy to picture the scene. The only thing I didnt like was the father's name. 'Welcome'.
Change it to William. That sounds better.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
— Mark Twain