z

Young Writers Society

Gypsies...who as yet have no title...

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 am
chocolatechipmuffin says...

Passersby looked angry, and moved to the other side of the street, resenting the way the bright colors of those long skirts contrasted with the drab, unhappy, overall grayness of their city. The two offending girls pretended not to notice, carrying on with their lighthearted conversation, hoping that some of these angry people might overcome their prejudice, and give them some business. They pretended not to notice the stares, the way people crossed themselves, and they daintily stepped out of the way of those few delightful individuals who felt it necessary to spit at their feet.

“Gypsies,” someone hissed. “Bringing their dirty selves and their witchcraft and whatnot.” All the townspeople seemed to agree, but the two girls were hoping that some of them might be tempted to slip into the small tents they’d set up, to have their fortune told, or to be healed.

The tents were a shade of deepest blue, the closest the Roma girls could bear to get to the drab buildings around them. They could not, try as they would, understand why anyone would want to live in one place their whole lives, and not only that, but one colorless place! It was unthinkable.

A German woman looked around guiltily, hoping no one was near. A man walked by, and she stood casually, fiddling with her purse, trying not to look suspicious. He passed, and she slipped into the blue tent at last, praying that the Gypsies wouldn’t hurt her.
“Hello?” The fortune-teller hadn’t expected anyone for another hour, at least.
“Hello. I was wondering-” The woman seemed uncertain at first, but then, recollecting that Gypsies were inferior to Germans, she drew herself up rather haughtily.
“I want a palm reading.”
The drabardi held in a smile. The way the woman held her hand out made her think of a small child demanding sweets from his mother.
“But of course, madam. If you would sit down, please.” The Roma girl took the proffered hand, and examined the lines, occasionally tracing one. Noticing one line, she chuckled, and looked at the woman’s face.
“How many children do you have, ma’am?”
The woman turned a little pink, but answered “One.”
“God the Almighty plans to bless you with eight more.”
The woman gasped. “Eight? I’m not even married!”
The Roma girl bit her lip to keep from laughing, then glanced at the woman’s face, and remembered that it could have been her sister sitting there, with a baby born out of wedlock, hiding the child from the world.
The woman looked thankful, but forgot to express her gratitude.

Heavy footsteps sounded outside the tent. The fortune-teller froze in fear as she heard the screams of her friend, the drabarni.
“Is that the healer? I’d been planning to go and get something for this nasty little cut, but it looks like I’ll have to see the pharmacist.”
The Roma girl paid no attention to the German woman, but stood still, listening to the harsh voices outside.
Suddenly, hearing a warning cry from her friend in another language, she sprang into action. She gathered the few things she needed – a bracelet, her bag, and the lunch she’d brought – and hurried toward the back of the tent, where there was another exit.

The German woman watched her go, thinking it was a good thing that someone was coming after those dirty Gypsies. Then, she realized that she looked as though she was consorting with the Gypsies, which she certainly was not! She would never set foot near one of their dirty caravans or tents! The woman listened at the front entrance, and deemed it safe to escape, and find her way back to the safety of her home.

A soldier was standing behind the tent. He’d carefully slipped away from the soldiers who were making fun of their captive Gypsy, wishing he’d listened to his mother and stayed out of the army. Upon finding himself confronted with another Gypsy, he nearly cried. He didn’t want this responsibility on his hands. He knew it was his duty to take her to the other soldiers, to make her a captive with her friend – or maybe it was her sister, they certainly looked alike. He realized that if he were a brave soldier, she’d escape, and no one would even know she was there. But he hadn’t been a brave soldier. He’d run away, and now they were both paying the consequences.

The girl looked up at him pathetically, her big green eyes welling up. She couldn’t be more than fifteen years old, he thought, amazed that the world could be so harsh to one so young. Her eyes found his, and she stared, it seemed, straight to his heart, seeing all that was in him. He shuddered, but could not break away from her stare. He saw what she saw: a young boy, eighteen years old, who’d thought he was ready for anything, king of the world, but who was really no more than a child, a child who had no place in the army. Her gaze softened, and it seemed comforting, it told him that after the war, he’d be all right; he could go home and take up a peaceful profession. He almost cried again. How could a girl in such trouble be so kind to the one who was about to be responsible for her death? Her kindness struck him as extraordinary, something that shouldn’t be wasted, something precious.

Wordlessly, he stepped out of her way, and gestured toward the river that ran through the city, right behind them. The girl gave him one look of profound thanks, and dove in noiselessly, swimming away. The soldier slipped quietly back to his comrades, and wondered whether he’d ever again have the courage to do nothing.
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:47 pm
cammie4 says...

So this was pretty interesting. I love reading about gypsies, but there are not enough stories about them!

Anyway, there are a few little things that might need some tweaking...

First, you change the point of view a bit abruptly. Like you start with the German woman's feeligns and thoughts, and then you bring up the soldier, which was kind of random. I don't know if you wanted it like that, but it's just something to think about.

Also,
She would never set foot near one of their dirty caravans or tents!

Isn't she already there, though? This sentence is kind of... contradicting, is that the word?

Lastly:
He saw what she saw: a young boy, eighteen years old, who’d thought he was ready for anything, king of the world, but who was really no more than a child, a child who had no place in the army.

I'm a bit confused about this. He saw himself as she saw him? How would he know what she saw? I don't know how you could fix this... it's just kind of confusing, at least for me.

Those things aside, this was pretty good, and very interesting. Are you going to write more?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:07 pm
CaitE Baloney says...

Wow, that was really great. I haven't read much about gypsies so it is nice to see something new. I think that you could use a few more details. You described the town well but then kind of trailed off.

There is one spot where I think you could fix up a bit.
"He knew it was his duty to take her to the other soldiers, to make her a captive with her friend"

It just needs a little rewording I think, but other then that it was overall a really good story and I hope you continue with it.

-Cait
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."-Robert Frost

"Dreams are the future in rough draft."

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:28 pm
Pickle810 says...

It was certainly refreshing to finally hear something historically correct about the Roma people! I was getting sick of "and thhe widked gypsies stole his soul" kind of stuff. I suppose the fear of Roma comes from the fear all steadily dwelling people have of nomads. There were, as preusual, some grammar mistakes, most of which already picked out. Just read it aloud, and you may find some of the sentence structure is confusing. Thanks for writing something accurate about one of the most misunderstood peoples on earth!
me: why can we kill for Jesus and not Muhammed?
my best friend: because Jesus is white.
me: that's not fair!
her: and what is?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:10 am
Brackynn says...

I loved reading this piece -- I'm a big fan of stories about Roma, and you write well :)

I normally would let this go, but since it's the opening words of your story, I'm going to be nitpicky ;) Instead of saying "Passersby looked angry..." personally, I would try to show that a bit more rather than just telling us. Something like, "Passersby scowled..." or "Passersby frowned..." Or whatever floats your boat -- I think it's important to start a story off with something super strong, and in my opinion, the word "looked" weakens it a little.

I like the little sarcastic passage about the "delightful individuals who felt it necessary to spit at their feet." Sounds like your writer's voice is really coming through :)

I have to admit that at times, I got a little thrown by the point of view switching from one character to another -- for example, in the scene in the fortune-teller's tent, to me, appears to start out in the German woman's POV -- "...she slipped into the blue tent at last, praying that the Gypsies wouldn't hurt her." -- then the fortune-teller's -- "The fortune-teller hadn't expected anyone for another hour at least." -- then back to the German woman -- "...recollecting that Gypsies were inferior to Germans..." -- then back to the fortune-teller -- "The way the woman held her hadn out made her think of a small child demanding sweets..." Do you get what I mean? Third person omniscient is a great POV to use and can be very effective, but I think it's one of the hardest to pull off. You might just want to play around with the wording a bit, or try staying with one character's POV for a bit longer before switching. It's amazing what you can tell about a character's feelings from reading about how another character (ie, the POV character) sees them. I think so, anyway ;) And really, that's up to you.

I loved how you described the soldier as well -- "a young boy, eighteen years old, who'd thought he was ready for anything, king of the world, but who was really no more than a child..." It's touching and really made me sympathetic to his dilemma.

The only thing that niggled me about the second half was, again, something that's purely my personal taste, but I have to admit that I'm not a fan of characters looking into each other's eyes and seeing the truth laid bare. In my opinion, an eye is an eye is an eye, and there's a limit to how much you can tell from someone's glance. It was actually fairly okay for me up until, "Her gaze ... told him that after the war, he'd be all right; he could go home and take up a peaceful profession." To me, that little bit seemed just a little contrived. I'm sure there's another way that she could communicate kindness rather than just through her eyes? Could she absently reach out and take his hand with a tiny smile, or something along those lines? (Eh, not my best suggestion; I'm not feeling particularly creative right now!)

This really was a very poignant and touching short story, especially since we don't know for sure what happened to the other girl. You've certainly got a lot of talent and potential and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your work. Great job!
"A person is a fool to become a writer."
--Roald Dahl

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 pm
iceflaime says...

I enjoyed reading this story, especially since I have always wanted to know more about gypsies ever since I watched "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" when I was little! I really liked how in the beginning you contrasted the drab homes of the city dwellers to the bright clothes of the gypsies. It was interesting to see how different they are from one another.

Just a few things:
The part about the soldier was interesting, but it took me a few tries before I really understood what you meant in the part "he realized if he were a brave soldier, she'd escape, and no one would even know she was there." Maybe you could add in a phrase like, "if he had been a brave soldier and stayed with the others", instead of just saying "if he were a brave soldier"?

And then also, it was a wonderful piece of writing, but it sort of left the reader wishing there was more to the story. Are you going to add more? As one part of a larger whole it was fine, but on its own I sort of felt like it should have had more of a closure, if that makes sense.

Other than those two things, I thought it was neat to finally be able to read something about gypsies and the roma.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat May 24, 2008 10:39 pm
happy-go-lucky says...

Great plot, however i think you should keep it to only one or two points of view rather than the Roma girl's, soldiers and German woman's opinion - other wise it gets a bit confusing :?

Tiny nitpick:

The way the woman held her hand out made her think of a small child demanding sweets from his mother.

Wouldn't it be demanding sweets from her mother rather than his mother? I don't know maybe I'm just not reading it right...

anywho

good story! looking forward to reading more! :D

x

The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus