Young Writers Society

Leaving Baba

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:35 pm
Myth says...

Leaving Baba

1911 – East Bengal

Zubair was wrapped in a blanket. He sat on the edge of Parveen’s bed with the sickly yellow light of the lantern playing across his face.

“Didi?” he called. Parveen, his nanny, was like an elder sister and had insisted on being called didi.

She came into the room from the low doorway. The yellow glow illuminated her high cheek bones, her eyes were in shadows and her dark hair hidden beneath a headscarf. Suddenly, looking up at her, she was a stranger to him. Zubair shivered.

“It’s all right. You don’t have to be scared here,” she said.

Parveen had brought him to her house, a small rundown place, somewhere among the slums of Dhaka, with two rooms—a small kitchen and the bedroom at the front. The only furniture was a wooden bed, a woven rug—Parveen must have made it herself—and a chest for her belongings.

“Let me take a look,” she was saying. Her gloved hand, the burnt hand, unbuttoned his shirt—the glove had been a gift from his amma. Zubair looked away. She was gentle, as anticipated, and showed no expressions of disgust as she pealed away his top.

“It doesn’t hurt anymore,” was all Zubair could bring himself to say. Purple lines, new and old bruises, were painted around his chest but most were on his back. He was glad Parveen did not own a mirror, he could not bear to look at his reflection—the face staring back would be his baba’s.

Thinking about his father, Zubair frowned. Parveen sensed his annoyance. She sat beside him, as caring as ever.

“Baba will find me. He won’t let you off gently,”

“We’ll go away from here,” Parveen assured him. The shirt was in her lap, neatly folded in her special way—it looked new and crisp, hardly any creases were traceable. “My family live in Sylhet, you’ll like it there.”

Zubair saw her in a different light. She was reflecting, her voice soft and low and her eyes sparkling. At eighteen, four years his senior, she should have already been married but Parveen gave up the country way of life to work in the city, to look after him and send the wages to her family. On the other hand, no man wanted a disfigured wife.

“Our house is near the field. You can see the local school from the roof and the cows grazing. Did I tell you about my goats? There are five of them, amma sent me a letter and my brother, Shaheen, drew their pictures.” A smile came across her lips.

It was six years since the Partition of Bengal. Zubair remembered his father telling news of the Hindus moving to live in West Bengal and how the Muslims, with the divide, would now have a better opportunity to find work and his son would get a decent education. But that would come to an end, the Westerners did not like the separation and wanted the Partition revoked.

Like the Partition, Parveen was changing things for him—for good. She had taken Zubair from his home, from his violent father, to live in safety with her family. He was supposed to be happy. After all, Parveen was taking risks for his sake and leaving the city to once more settle in Sylhet. But a part of him doubted they could escape his father’s wrath. People would be paid to look out for them. Then what? His mother would be of no help, she was blind to his suffering.

“What if the train doesn’t come? Baba will surely find us, he’ll kill you!”

“He won’t. The train will come and we’ll get away. Don’t ruin our hope.”

The scarf slipped from Parveen’s head. Zubair caught a glimpse of her tasbih, gleaming with an unusual bright light.

“I’ve got everything ready,” she smiled again. A bundle was slumped by the front door. Parveen went over and checked its contents. “You’re like Shaheen, he always fears for the worst. A pessimist.”

Zubair picked up his shirt and put it back on. The blanket was beside him, as he felt for it there came a loud rap at the door. He turned to Parveen. Was she expecting someone so late?

“Parveen! You have something of mine!”

The booming voice instantly aroused fear to pulse inside Zubair. He knew that voice, Zubair never should have left and now, with no one to stop his father, the man would certainly beat him to death.

“Baba!” he cried out and climbed into the bed, trying to hide under the covers.

Again the voice shouted, swearing in a bout of anger. Something heavy rammed against the door, already Zubair could hear the groan from the timber and he caught Parveen gazing, intently, at him.

“He doesn’t love you. But I always will, I’ll never hurt you.”

She was sitting on the floor. Sooner or later the door would give way, Zubair’s father would drag him into the street and even he didn’t know what was in store for Parveen.

Outside there were more shouts and calls, people had been disturbed and were keen to know what was going on and Zubair imagined what they would say, would they be sympathetic towards Parveen? Could he still run from his father?

A split appeared and cracked the wood. He saw Parveen close her eyes, her fingers touching the tasbih, and whispered a prayer.

.:

Didi -- Sister
Amma -- Mother
Baba -- Father
Tasbih -- Prayer beads
Last edited by Myth on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:32 am
Sam says...

That was probably the coolest ending I've ever read...

All right, so in the History Lovers forum, Jack was basically talking about how the character development really mattered in his judging- and there were a few things that I noticed in here that, if tweaked, could really help out with that. I know there was a word limit...but now that that's gone, you can focus on the piece itself. :wink:

The main thing, in my opinion, would just be to explain the characters' relations to one another. That's it. The didi thing only made marginal sense to me, and so I thought she was in actuality his older sister- and I had no idea where Zubair's mom was. (The part about looking in the mirror was amazingly written, I might add- I got the conflict between Zubair and his baba.)

I also thought that there wasn't enough suspsense built up in the story to support such a cool ending. It was a llttle sudden, and consisting of only one line, the action of the last scene doesn't make as big a bang as it should without the reader analyzing the piece. Are there footsteps coming? Is Zubair's baba looking for him? There doesn't have to be a lot of insight into those things, but little clues as to what might happen would benefit the piece.

I did love the way you described things- I read through the piece twice, about two hours apart from each other, and the part about the tasbih sparkling in the light stuck with me. Poor Zubair's appearence was pulled off well; I really did feel sorry about him...and you didn't make him whiney! That's the most horrible thing- and the most common thing- that happens with the sort of 'pity characters'.

Excellent choice of time and place, as well...I had no idea about Bengali culture, now or (even fainter) in 1911. There wasn't a specific event to connect it to, but it was one of those 'human' pieces that could have taken place anywhere (the setting is only the icing on the cake, so to speak).

And to continue a misused pun- it was darn good icing, too. :P

Well, good job, Myth! Historical short stories seem to be your forte...I hope to read some more from you in the future. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

820 Reviews

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:01 pm
Myth says...

Sam: Thank you for reading and your comments!

The main thing, in my opinion, would just be to explain the characters' relations to one another.

I think you missed this: Parveen was his nanny. I may think about rearranging some of the paragraphs.

I also thought that there wasn't enough suspsense built up in the story to support such a cool ending. It was a llttle sudden, and consisting of only one line, the action of the last scene doesn't make as big a bang as it should without the reader analyzing the piece. Are there footsteps coming? Is Zubair's baba looking for him? There doesn't have to be a lot of insight into those things, but little clues as to what might happen would benefit the piece.

The end was killing me, it was because of the word limit that I didn't get as much as I had wanted towards the end. Now it shouldn't be a problem.

I did love the way you described things- I read through the piece twice, about two hours apart from each other, and the part about the tasbih sparkling in the light stuck with me. Poor Zubair's appearence was pulled off well; I really did feel sorry about him...and you didn't make him whiney! That's the most horrible thing- and the most common thing- that happens with the sort of 'pity characters'.

I'm so glad Zubair came out right and I added the light of the tasbih to connect with the end, Parveen seeking help from Allah.

You'll have to thank Jess (Fishr), it was because of her that I actually asked my parents and elder sisters to tell me more about my Asian ancestors and Bengali culture. This is the first time I've written anything set outside of the UK.

Well, good job, Myth! Historical short stories seem to be your forte...I hope to read some more from you in the future.

I will definitely go with the idea. :D

'...'

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:59 am
Sam says...

I figured out she was his nanny...but not until reading it over three or four times. :wink:

Unfortunately, all of my ancestors lived in the UK, so I can't join you on that one...but again, this was a really different sort of setting- and if you feel comfortable enough in it, it'd be a great teaching experience.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:51 am
Shine says...

Wow a story related to East Bengal,that was really good.

That was touching and lovely.

And ending was good too.

By the way do u know I live in West Bengal?lol
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

820 Reviews

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:54 am
Myth says...

I'll have to edit this over the weekend.

Which city are you from Ani? And thanks for reading.

'...'

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Areida says...

Ooooh... cool!

I think Sam covered my main things. Mostly the only reason I was confused on the first read-through was because I read it too fast, but other than that, I really enjoyed this. You're an exceptionally gifted historical writer, Myth; I love seeing the different eras and characters you use. Thanks for the read! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:16 pm
Trident says...

Myth,

I caught everything right away. I understood what roles the characters took. Certainly, I could understand if one had missed an important phrase and got caught up and weirded out by the idea of incest... but the way you have it should hopefully prevent that.

The story was certainly nice. The cliffhanger was dramatic, but a good dramatic. The introduction of the prayer beads and their use at the end was magnificent. You beat me out with this story. Good work.
Perception is everything.

820 Reviews

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:14 pm
Myth says...

Ari/Trident: Thank you for reading and the comments. I hope I've covered most of the errors with the new revision and if anyone else wants to add anything further I'll give cookies. Or chocolate.

'...'

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:40 pm
Royboy says...

I think the ending was magnificent. Of course, I didn't feel the fear until Zubair's father started pounding on the door.

“My family live in Sylhet, you’ll like it there.”

It should be lives, right?

I'll be reading more of your work since I really liked this one.
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

820 Reviews

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:18 pm
Myth says...

Royboy: Hello. Um.. now that I look at it I'm not too sure. 'live' sounds right. Thank you for reading, and the compliment and I hope I can critique something of yours soon. :wink:

'...'

I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin