z

Young Writers Society

Toujours Nuit~1400 words

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:09 am
Emerson says...

So as you can see, I've already gotten a lot of edits on it (see posts below!) but, I haven't the time to edit with school and NaNoWriMo coming so I'm putting the edits of this on hold (It was a tough one! Oh the holes...) so please, no comments/critiques until I can polish it again :?

----

“I’m going to the opera tonight,” Lumière whispered in Aceline’s ear. He leaned over the settee looking down at her. Champagne-colored hair hung over his face, hiding his features from the girl below him. “Would you like to join me?”

“No, I want to stay home. I’m too tired tonight,” Aceline’s voice sounded weak and her face looked pale.

He walked around the settee, sitting on the arm of the big chair next to her. Her brown hair was matted and she looked unkempt. “You’ve been sick for too long, Aceline, I worry for you…” Aceline looked into his liquid-turquoise eyes while thinking about what he said. They were puddles of hope and immaturity to her; he was always trying to find a new way to cure her ailments. “There is a new show at the opera this week and it is supposed to be magical. It is called Toujours Nuit. Isn’t that beautiful? Always Night.”

The girls auburn eyes fell to the floor, “I do not wish to go with you Lumière, not at all. I am sick, and you try too hard.”

The young man was saddened by the rejection, but did not change his mind. “Well, I am going now, then. Goodbye.” His farewell, Aceline thought, sounded like his last.

Flowing through the door, Lumière stepped out to the street. He thought of Aceline and her illness. For months, she had been sick: always tired and in the house. He worried for her but he worried for himself as well. Am I selfish to leave the house without her? Must I stay with her all the time, be at her side always, and go crazy just like she? This mystery illness was what kept him from having a wife; she refused to talk of serious things until she knew she would be better.

“I do not want to leave you a widower,” she would reply when ever he spoke of a wedding, “I will not have it.” Lumière loved her with all his heart, but he loved life also.

“Tonight, my dear man, you will see the best show I’ve ever seen!” spoke the usher as he led Lumière to his seat. “It is such a good show! I have stood in the back three times to watch and I am still amazed by it. The main dancer, Foncé, oh he is wonderful! Some say he dances so well because his legs are made of clouds. Doesn’t that sound queer? Even if his legs are clouds, it doesn’t matter! It’s the best show ever.”

Lumière finally persuaded the enthusiastic man to leave, as the show would be starting any minute and he wanted no distractions. As the usher paced away the curtain rose to show a line of dancers, their arms all held up by yellow ribbons that lifted to the ceiling and their faces painted white like dolls. They resembled marionettes, and for a moment Lumière thought they were. Once the dancing and the orchestra started, though, he knew that they could not be marionettes, like they dressed to be, but had to be human. No doll could ever dance like they did. It was their nature to dance, like the nature of rain is to fall from the sky.

Lumière felt happy in watching them dance. He felt like an eavesdropper listening to a marvelous conversation; seeing something beautiful where he shouldn’t be. He forgot Aceline at home sick and coughing, and thought only of the dancers and the music they pranced to. Spinning, whirling with the ribbons on their arms and legs, twisting around to lock them together in eternal dance; he felt so entranced watching them.

The last dance of the night started: a solo. Lumière knew it was the dancer Foncé up on the stage that the usher had spoken of, those cloud-legs of his twirling franticly to the fast paced song. Now Lumière saw his sparkle, now he saw his magic. Foncé looked, even from so far away, to be exactly like the mannequin he played. A dumb doll held up on strings was what he played. How can he be human? Lumière thought.

Staring up at the Marionette’s face, Lumière saw eternity in his eyes. Mesmerized by the brilliance on the stage, Lumière thought he saw the end to all questions. This man is no man, he is forever. I must know why he is forever! Maybe he this man could help Aceline. This is the answer!

The curtain lowered over Foncé and his forever eyes. Without even waiting for the leave of the crowd, Lumière stood and pushed his way to the back of the theater.

Back and back he went into the oblivion of the theater where eternity lived. Lumière now had a great plan worked out. He would meet this man and learn from him how to live forever. He was sure Foncé would have the answer. With the answer to eternity, he could cure Aceline and she would never have to die or be near death due to her illness, or any illness to come.

There in the hallway stood the man of eternity talking to the other mannequins of forever. With the doll make up and dancing shoes removed, he appeared even more to be forever. And so did the others.

Lumière cleared his throat and tried to seem polite. “My name is Lumière. May we speak in private?”

Foncé smiled politely and nodded.

“I’m sorry if this seems rude, Monsieur Foncé but…” Lumière was unsure how to say such a thing without being foolish. He now started to doubt himself, What if I’m being a fool? This man is not forever and no one can be. I’m only trying too hard, like Aceline would say.

“You want your girl to live, yes?” Foncé spoke boldly.

Lumière was stunned that he could see into his thoughts. “Can you even read my mind?” he asked.

Foncé laughed his voice big and intimidating. “No, Monsieur, but it is your face. You tell me through your face what you want, I know what you are looking for. Yes, I am forever.”

Lumière stayed silent, unsure what to say.

“But why save the girl? If she is forever as well you will be locked up in the house even longer. Till your death! Why waste my gift on her? I could give it to you. Wouldn’t you like to be forever?” Foncé’s words caressed Lumière’s ear.

“Yes…” he said. “Yes, yes! Make me forever!” Aceline was nothing, once again, like she was through the dance. What did she matter? They weren’t even married. And if she was forever, she might not even want to marry Lumière. “Please…show me how it is you are forever.”

Foncé laughed again, in that same dark way, and started walking to the stage. “I know the dance that makes me live forever, and you will learn it. You must stay with us and dance.”

Lumière stood on the stage watching Foncé dance and from no where, the music started up again like it had during the show. The ribbons fell down from the ceiling, yellow like parchment paper. Lumière felt happy to see the ribbons come down and to think they’d be his, but those ribbons…they latched to his arms, seized his legs and took control.

His young skin faded, old age took over. Foncé stopped his dance and watched the man age. The other mannequins came to the stage, watching as well. They all had the ribbons on them, and they all danced now. The ribbons twisted Lumière into dancing along but he had become terrified.

“What have you done?” he cried, but none of the dolls listened. “Where is my youth? My beauty? My forever?”

Foncé laughed and the others laughed with him, still dancing magically. “You have your forever, forever dancing. The price wasn’t big, but now you are our prey…”

With those words, Lumière’s old skin turned white and porcelain. He thought of Aceline, how he would miss her…

“I have failed you. My selfishness consumed me and now this! Why couldn’t I have stayed forever with you?” he sobbed, the ribbons tying more around him. Around his waist, his neck; the ribbons consumed him until he was locked tight in their grips.

Watching the ribbons consume this old man, Foncé and his marionettes watched intently, smiling with sin. The old man was gone, taken into the ribbons like all the others before him.

“The price wasn’t big but now you are our prey…” Foncé said again, laughing as the ribbons lifted themselves to the ceiling.
Last edited by Emerson on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:32 am
Snoink says...

Eep! The ending is creepy... this reminds me very much of Poe.

I would prefer more showing vs. telling in the very beginning. I would rather see how the two relate to each other so it gives more emotional impact when he finally betrays Aceline. After all, his love turns to nothing.

And maybe you can capitalize forever?

Er... yeah. How's that for a nonspecific critique? :roll:

Feel free to ask me any questions! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:47 am
Cassandra says...

Things You Did Right

Lumière finally persuaded the enthusiastic man to leave, as the show would be starting any minute and he wanted no distractions. As the usher paced away the curtain rose to show a line of dancers, their arms all held up by yellow ribbons that lifted to the ceiling and their faces painted white like dolls. They resembled marionettes, and for a moment Lumière thought they were. Once the dancing and the orchestra started, though, he knew that they could not be marionettes, like they dressed to be, but had to be human. No doll could ever dance like they did. It was their nature to dance, like the nature of rain is to fall from the sky.

Lumière felt happy in watching them dance. He felt like an eavesdropper listening to a marvelous conversation; seeing something beautiful where he shouldn’t be. He forgot Aceline at home sick and coughing, and thought only of the dancers and the music they pranced to. Spinning, whirling with the ribbons on their arms and legs, twisting around to lock them together in eternal dance; he felt so entranced watching them.

The last dance of the night started: a solo. Lumière knew it was the dancer Foncé up on the stage that the usher had spoken of, those cloud-legs of his twirling franticly to the fast paced song. Now Lumière saw his sparkle, now he saw his magic. Foncé looked, even from so far away, to be exactly like the mannequin he played. A dumb doll held up on strings was what he played. How can he be human? Lumière thought.

Oh wow. This whole passage was simply entrancing. Beautiful description.

Overall, this was a beautifully written piece. Of course, having the setting in France (that's where it is, right?) makes the feeling around this all the more romantic...I don't know how to describe it. Just beautiful.

Things That Could Use A Second Look

Claudette wrote:“No, I want to stay home. I’m too tired tonight,” Aceline’s voice sounded weak and her face looked pale.

The comma after "tonight" should be a period.

Even if his legs are clouds, it doesn’t matter! It’s the best show ever.”

You have everyone speaking in this lovely, sophisticated speech...and then the usher says "It's the best show ever"? It doesn't seem to fit. Maybe make him say it a bit more eloquently...?

those cloud-legs of his twirling franticly to the fast paced song.

Frantically. Frantically. Just a typo, I'm sure, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Foncé looked, even from so far away, to be exactly like the mannequin he played. A dumb doll held up on strings was what he played.

Just a repeat of the word "played" in these two sentences...

Staring up at the Marionette’s face, Lumière saw eternity in his eyes. Mesmerized by the brilliance on the stage, Lumière thought he saw the end to all questions. This man is no man, he is forever. I must know why he is forever! Maybe he this man could help Aceline. This is the answer!

The curtain lowered over Foncé and his forever eyes. Without even waiting for the leave of the crowd, Lumière stood and pushed his way to the back of the theater.

Back and back he went into the oblivion of the theater where eternity lived. Lumière now had a great plan worked out. He would meet this man and learn from him how to live forever. He was sure Foncé would have the answer. With the answer to eternity, he could cure Aceline and she would never have to die or be near death due to her illness, or any illness to come.

This part seems very rushed...why is he so sure this dancer can help him? What emotions is he experiencing as he watches this man dance and coming up with this crazy scheme?

From here on you repeat the word "forever" an awful lot. Just something to look at...

“But why save the girl? If she is forever as well you will be locked up in the house even longer. Till your death! Why waste my gift on her? I could give it to you. Wouldn’t you like to be forever?” Foncé’s words caressed Lumière’s ear.

“Yes…” he said. “Yes, yes! Make me forever!” Aceline was nothing, once again, like she was through the dance. What did she matter? They weren’t even married. And if she was forever, she might not even want to marry Lumière. “Please…show me how it is you are forever.”

This part has so much potential. Fonce (wow, that name doesn't look half as pretty without the accent, and I don't know how to use them :D) is basically tempting Lumiere. Show more body language. Describe Fonce's face as he suggests this.

And the ending. Again, so much potential! But this also seemed rushed. I want more description and emotions, goshdarnit! You've showed earlier in the piece how beautifully you can paint a picture. Now do the same thing here! Describe Lumiere's terror more fully, and what exactly was Fonce's motive for doing this to him? Does he just go around turning people into dancing old men? And that's another question I have: did Lumiere die, or is he simply forced to dance forever?

------

I am so impressed, and I can't wait to see some more of your work. Keep in mind that some of the stuff above was pretty nitpicky--and let me tell you, I only do nitpicky critiques on pieces that are nearly flawless. I mean, they're that good that the only stuff to really complain about are really small, minor things. And this story happens to be one of those pieces. :D

Also, I just wanted to say that I really liked how you critiqued a bunch of people's work before posting your own. One of my biggest pet peeves are people who come here and post five pieces right off the bat without bothering to look at anyone else's. So kudos to you. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:02 am
Emerson says...

Thanks you two :-) I'm rather impressed by your critique Cassandra! I love my work being riped to pieces and told "GET BETTER!" It's my favorite! I feel like I'm getting to a really good start on this site, people giving me kudos and loving my writing, oh wow. Hopefully I'll have these edits fixed and a new thing up tomorrow. I'm excited! :rushes off to edit:
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Heehee, Claudette that's the way we do things around here- *pokes then hugs Cassandra*.

One thing I caught: Everytime there is dialogue it should be a new paragraph, i.e. paragraph three needs to be seperated...

Sorry for the utter shodiness of this crit, I'd really like to give you something more, cause I like this piece very much. I'll come back after I finish things for class.

Cheerios,
CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:18 pm
Myth says...

Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

“I have failed you. My selfishness consumed me and now this! Why couldn’t I have stayed forever with you?” he sobbed, the ribbons tying more around him.

Eek! ‘tying more around him’. I didn’t like the ‘more’ in there. How about tightly as in: ... the ribbons tying tightly around him.

I really liked this. Giving the dancers a sinister air made them more effective but I would have liked to see them showing more emotion – Foncé for example could do with a little work.

Keep writing, your very creative with your ideas. :D
Last edited by Myth on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:02 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Dear Claudette,

So this is how one of these things goes. Everything that is a comment, suggestion and/or note by me is in bold, brackets, and violety. I thought some shade of purple was a good color for this.

Shall we begin?

Toujours Nuit

“I’m going to the opera tonight,” Lumière whispered in Aceline’s ear.

[new paragraph] He leaned over the settee looking down at her. Champagne-colored hair hung over his face, hiding his features from the girl below him. [Hmm, I would integrate these two sentences: He leaned over the settee, his champagne-colored hair hiding his features as he looked down at her. Also you have some tense shifts and syntax issues in those sentences.]

“Would you like to join me?”

“No, I want to stay home. I’m too tired tonight. [period here, instead of comma]” Aceline’s voice sounded weak and her face looked [color][You use looked above, try to find another word, perhaps: was, or her face pale…][/color] pale.

He walked around the settee, sitting on the arm of the big chair next to her. [syntax issues here, missing a word: He walked around the settee before sitting on the arm of the big chair next to her. Also big is a rather overused word- perhaps gigantic, gargantuan, large, colossal, mammoth, immense.] Her brown hair was matted and she looked unkempt.

[new paragraph] “You’ve been sick for too long, Aceline, I worry for you…”

[new paragraph] Aceline looked [er, again looked has been used, find another word: peered, glanced, considered, gazed, regarded, stared.] into his liquid-turquoise eyes while thinking about what he said. They were puddles of hope and immaturity to her [this is getting a little too soppy, you are being perfectly poetic, but it’s a little wilting]; he was always trying to find a new way to cure her ailments.

[new paragraph] “There is a new show at the opera this week and it is supposed to be magical. It is called Toujours Nuit. Isn’t that beautiful? Always Night.”

The girl’s [possession apostrophe needed] auburn eyes fell [Her eyes actually fell? to the floor, “I do not wish to go with you Lumière, not at all. I am sick, and you try too hard.”

The young man was saddened by the rejection, but did not change his mind. [Hmm, I would love more show here, his facial features and body language when she rejects him.] “Well, I am going now, then. Goodbye.”

[new paragraph] His farewell, Aceline thought, sounded like his last.

Flowing [Someone can flow out the door? I wasn’t aware that was possible.] through the door, Lumière stepped out to the street. He thought of Aceline and her illness. [Hmm, I would recast these sentences to: As Lumière steeped out to the street he though of Aceline and her illness.] For months, she had been sick: always tired and in the house. He worried for her but he worried for himself as well. Am I selfish to leave the house without her? Must I stay with her all the time, be at her side always, and go crazy just like she? [Personal, first person thoughts should be in italics.] This mystery illness was what kept him from having a wife; she refused to talk of serious things until she knew she would be better.

“I do not want to leave you a widower,” she would reply when ever he spoke of a wedding, “I will not have it.” Lumière loved her with all his heart, but he loved life also.

[Some kind of transition here would be good.]

“Tonight, my dear man, you will see the best show I’ve ever seen!” spoke the usher as he led Lumière to his seat. [Recast: The usher spoke as he led Lumière to his seat.] “It is such a good show! I have stood in the back three times to watch and I am still amazed by it. The main dancer, Foncé, oh he is wonderful! Some say he dances so well because his legs are made of clouds. Doesn’t that sound queer? Even if his legs are clouds, it doesn’t matter! It’s the best show ever.” [This best show ever business does not seem to go with the usher’s other diction, it seems so valley girl, and clashes with his other statements. And, no need for so many exclamations.]

Lumière finally persuaded the enthusiastic man to leave, as the show would be starting any minute and he wanted no distractions. As the usher paced away the curtain rose to show a line of dancers, their arms all held up by yellow ribbons that lifted to the ceiling and their faces painted white like dolls. They resembled marionettes, and for a moment Lumière thought they were. Once the dancing and the orchestra started, though, he knew that they could not be marionettes, like they dressed to be, but had to be human. [Hmm, perhaps: could not be marionettes, they had to be human.] No doll could ever dance like they did. It was their nature to dance, like the nature of rain is to fall from the sky.

Lumière felt happy in watching them dance. He felt like an eavesdropper listening to a marvelous conversation; seeing something beautiful where he shouldn’t be. He forgot Aceline at home, [comma here] sick and coughing, and thought only of the dancers and the music they pranced to. [I love this image.] Spinning, whirling with the ribbons on their arms and legs, twisting around to lock them together in eternal dance; he felt so entranced watching them. [fragmented here, recast: Spinning and whirling with ribbons on their arms and legs, they twisted around to lock together in eternal dance; he felt so entranced watching them.]

The last dance of the night started: a solo. Lumière knew it was the dancer Foncé up on the stage that the usher had spoken of, those cloud-legs of his twirling franticly to the fast paced song. Now Lumière saw his sparkle, now he saw his magic. Foncé looked, even from so far away, to be exactly like the mannequin he played. A dumb doll held up on strings was what he played. How can he be human? [Italics] Lumière thought.

Staring up at the Marionette’s face, Lumière saw eternity in his eyes. Mesmerized by the brilliance on the stage, Lumière thought he saw the end to all questions. This man is no man, he is forever. I must know why he is forever! Maybe he [nix he] this man could help Aceline. This is the answer!

There in the hallway stood the man of eternity talking to the other mannequins of forever. With the doll make up and dancing shoes removed, he appeared even more to be forever. And so did the others.

Lumière cleared his throat and tried to seem polite. “My name is Lumière. May we speak in private?”

Foncé smiled politely and nodded.

“I’m sorry if this seems rude, Monsieur Foncé but…” [dash instead of ellipses, so: …Monsieur Fonce but--”] Lumière was unsure how to say such a thing without being foolish. He now started to doubt himself, What if I’m being a fool? This man is not forever and no one can be. I’m only trying too hard, like Aceline would say.

“You want your girl to live, yes?” Foncé spoke boldly.

Lumière was stunned that he could see into his thoughts. [everything after stunned should be nixed, as it is superfluous] “Can you even read my mind?” he asked.

Foncé laughed his voice big and intimidating. [Erm, this big and intimidating is weird…] “No, Monsieur, but it is your face. You tell me through your face what you want, I know what you are looking for. Yes, I am forever.” [Hmm, I don’t think Fonce should give this much away, maybe just have: ….You tell me through your face what you want.]

Lumière stayed silent, unsure what to say.

“But why save the girl? If she is forever as well, [comma] you will be locked up in the house even longer. Till your death! Why waste my gift on her? I could give it to you. Wouldn’t you like to be forever?” Foncé’s words caressed Lumière’s ear.

“Yes…” he said. “Yes, yes! Make me forever!”

[new paragraph] Aceline was nothing, once again, like she was through the dance. What did she matter? They weren’t even married. And if she was forever, she might not even want to marry Lumière.

[new paragraph] “Please…show me how it is you are forever.”

Foncé laughed again, in that same dark way, and started walking to the stage. “I know the dance that makes me live forever, and you will learn it. [Hmm, I would cut down the wording here: I know the dance that makes forever, and you…] You must stay with us and dance.”

Lumière stood on the stage watching Foncé dance and from no where, the music started up again like it had during the show. [More show here.] The ribbons fell down from the ceiling, yellow like parchment paper. Lumière felt happy [Is happy the right emotion? Maybe something stronger.] to see the ribbons come down and to think they’d be his, but those ribbons… [ack, nix the ellipses] they latched to his arms, seized his legs, [comma] and took control.

His young skin faded, [need a transition word here, as would be the best, I think. His young skin faded as old age took over. Or As his young skin faded old age took over.] old age took over. [I think it would also be neat if you described how the old age took over.] Foncé stopped his dance and watched the man age. The other mannequins came to the stage, watching as well. They all had the ribbons on them, and they all danced now. The ribbons twisted Lumière into dancing along but he had become terrified. [Hmm, I think you could describe his fear better.]

“What have you done?” he cried, but none of the dolls [of the dolls is superfluous] listened. “Where is my youth? My beauty? My forever?”

Foncé laughed [I think laughed is a too benign word, how about cackle?] and the others laughed with him, still dancing magically. “You have your forever, forever dancing. The price wasn’t big, but now you are our prey…” [nix the ellipses.]

With those words, Lumière’s old skin turned white and porcelain. He thought of Aceline, how he would miss her… [nix the ellipses.]

“I have failed you. My selfishness consumed me and now this! Why couldn’t I have stayed forever with you?” he sobbed [Can someone monologue and sob at the same time?] , the ribbons tying more around him. Around his waist, his neck; the ribbons consumed him until he was locked tight in their grips. [I think the act of the ribbons tying themselves around him you could explain better, by using words like grasp, tighten, clench, strangle, strain. Also the pain.]

Watching the ribbons consume this old man, Foncé and his marionettes watched [This is like the umpteenth time you have used watched, get another verb. Perhaps- peered?] intently, smiling with sin. The old man was gone, taken into the ribbons like all the others before him.

“The price wasn’t big but now you are our prey…” [nix the ellipses.] Foncé said again, laughing as the ribbons lifted themselves to the ceiling.

[Nice Creepy Ending. :D]

Recap

1. Like Snoink said, I think you could improve this piece by having more show vs. tell.

2. Crutch words, watch out for crutch words. They are words that you use over and over again, i.e. watched, dancing… Liven up your diction a little with some synonyms.

3. Another thing I noticed was your syntax, you had some fragments, and words missing in some.

4. Lovely plot twists, totally wasn’t expecting that. :)

5. I think I’d like a little more interaction between Aceline and Lumière. Why? Because I think his betrayal would be that much more powerful. Right now I am not seeing, feeling the strength of his infatuation with her. As it stands Aceline is a somewhat flat character because we don’t see much of her, and what we do makes me think- spoiled little brat.

6. The ending rocked, yeah, don’t mess with the creepy dancing marionette people. If they don’t eat you their ribbons will.

7. I thought it very interesting that you used the color yellow for the ribbons. Yellow is associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy. But is also seen was cowardice and as a warning. It is also known that babies cry more in yellow rooms. In heraldry, yellow indicated honor and loyalty. Men usually think of yellow as a childish color. It is also seen as an unstable and spontaneous color. Yellow ribbons were worn as a sign of hope as women waited from their men to come from war. It is also the color for mourning in Egypt and actors of the Middle Ages wore yellow to signify the dead. It also represents courage in Japan. So very interesting that you chose this color, above all others, for the color of the ribbons that eat your soul. *wink*

8. I really like how you emphasized that the dancers were human. Niiice!

9. I loved the idea you have going, as Myth said you're very creative in your ideas. Keep it up!

10. I also though your choice of names was very interesting: Lumiere, Aceline, and Fonce. Lumiere being the french for light, also that the Lumiere Brothers were invented modern cinema. Aceline means highborn and Fonce in french means to rush. Interesting...

So there it is, hon. If you have any questions or comments what-so-ever feel free to PM me.

Yours,
CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:58 pm
Wiggy says...

Welp, everything's been stated before I could crit-again! My favorite was the plot twist, although I am sad for the girl. :(

But the only thing I noticed was that at the beginning your dialogue seemed...stilted. It didn't sound like the way someone would normally talk in life. I don't know, just thought I'd point that out. I don't have any suggestions on how to change, sorry.

Nice job though!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:30 am
Snoink says...

You know what the sad thing is about this work? This is a fantasy story. No, we don't expect this to happen in real life. We don't expect someone to be enslaved in this way at all. This story has some very fantastic elements to it all which makes it distinctly fantasy, in a very good way.

...yet you don't like fantasy. :P

My dear, you live in a strange world.

I'm almost done with the critique... so watch out!

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:35 pm
Snoink says...

Haha! I'm back!

So I love the ending! It's so pretty and lovely and everything and it's so nice. That's the good news. The bad news? The beginning is boring and I just KNOW you can do better.

So yep! I'm not going to rewrite it for you or anything, but I will give you suggestions on what you should look for and what you should try to expand or something. And my advice may be completely misdirected, but look into it and maybe you'll find a grain of wisdom. Yay? Yay!

I don't know... I didn't tone the critique to be more gentle like I usually do. I think you may be able to handle the criticism, but I can never tell. So yeah. Know that I love your story, no matter what I say or how sarcastic I may sound. It is good, but it can be better. ;)

Let's begin...

“I’m going to the opera tonight,” Lumière whispered in Aceline’s ear. He leaned over the settee looking down at her. Champagne-colored hair hung over his face, hiding his features from the girl below him. “Would you like to join me?”

This is the beginning, and it's okay. It's not particularly gripping, but it's not bad either so I would probably continue reading anyway to see what conflict this statement creates. So no, not bad.

Now... the conflict!

“No, I want to stay home. I’m too tired tonight,” Aceline’s voice sounded weak and her face looked pale.

First of all, this NEEDS conflict. So you're going to want to make it more definite. Let her say, "No." Yes... no. With a period. That makes it more conclusive. She's saying no to him, dammit! CONFLICT!

Next of all, I don't buy the excuse thingy. I mean, I can understand it, but it totally ruins the flow. Wait... yeah. I'm talking about this sentence: "I’m too tired tonight." What makes it even more repetitious is that you say the same thing over! So you can slim it down some by getting rid of some of the repetition and make it even stronger!

I suggest:

"No. I want to stay home.” Aceline’s voice sounded weak and her face looked pale.

“You’ve been sick for too long, Aceline, I worry for you…”

Grammar counts! You have to use the correct punctuation or else your story will die a terrible death. And I'll help! :)

So yeah. Punctuated, you might want this:

"You’ve been sick for too long, Aceline. I worry for you.”

Note the two periods. This indicates a full stop. Different punctuation affects the way the phrase is said, and you do NOT want to get that wrong!

Aceline looked into his liquid-turquoise eyes while thinking about what he said. They were puddles of hope and immaturity to her; he was always trying to find a new way to cure her ailments.

Haha... we GET that he's trying to help her and everything, so you don't have to tell us over again. And you're switching POVs! That is, you're going to Aceline's perspective. Which is REALLY weird because it tells us that Aceline is important to the climax in some way, which is not true! What you're doing is like a red herring, but worse since it throws off the reader and makes us not expect the story. We have to have some cliché we can hold onto!

My suggestion? Delete it.

“There is a new show at the opera this week and it is supposed to be magical. It is called Toujours Nuit. Isn’t that beautiful? Always Night.”

Ah, this is nice. Plus, the way it's phrased, we get a feeling of what he's doing. This is showing and not telling, and this is even more effective than what you tried. :P

The girls auburn eyes fell to the floor, “I do not wish to go with you Lumière, not at all. I am sick, and you try too hard.”

This is way too dramatic and soppy. Tone it down a little.

The young man was saddened by the rejection, but did not change his mind.

GAH!!!!!!!!!!

*dies*

If there's anything that kills me about this story, it's this one sentence. You're TELLING us this. Show it! How does he show that he is sad? We don't know! You only tell us that he is saddened. But what does he do about it???

You see, by telling us this, you keep the character shallow. By showing us this, you develop the character.

Develop him. It'll help your ending.

His farewell, Aceline thought, sounded like his last.

Don't go to her POV!

And that is your [s]slaughter[/s] critique of the beginning. The rest is fairly good and pretty and all that stuff! So follow the grammar suggestions above and tweak it more and you'll have a nice fantasy. :)

Good luck!

2058 Reviews

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:19 pm
Emerson says...

Hey snoink :-D I haven't read over all your critique (I know I'm lazy!)But I have already worked a little on the beginning, so don't worry about that being boring. I don't think I'll be able to edit until December, I'm going to work out my nano novel now and then of course...I'll have nothing but writing in November! But your critiques a loved strongly! And I'm working on your unicorn story, but the critique is at my other house >< So...yeah..Sorry.

And, I don't get it either! I write fantasy, but i don't read fantasy! I guess it’s the fact that I associate fantasy and dragons and knights and big long wars and such. Horrible me.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:13 am
Snoink says...

Haha... well, at least you're honest about it. O_o

XD

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:21 pm
GibsonGirl says...

Sorry I don't have as much to say as others, but I don't have much experience with fiction.
I like this a lot. It's creepy in the same way as those I-Spy childrens books (for some reason they always looked scary to me). I think you should add more to the ending. It seemed like you were trying to finish it off too quickly.
Other than that, it's really good. I hope to see more of your work.
DJ Dan-shutting down the man!

2058 Reviews

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:59 pm
Emerson says...

Thanks Gibson. I think I'm going to add a notice to the top... I don't really want any more edits, I have enough under my belt! and with NaNoWriMo coming up, editing will be cast aside for a long, long time! And I may not even edit this, I may leave it to die; It's old and I have newer, better fiction in need of clean ups...but thank you! (If I didn't edit it, it would be a wasted effort of everyone so..eventually!!!)

Reviews: 2
Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:57 pm
mariannne says...

pretty much anything that i could think to say was said about critical elements, but from just a readers standpoint, i like the plot idea, mainly because i love france and that time period. but its a great story

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead