Young Writers Society

Bedridden with Sam Adams

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 pm
Fishr says...

005. Black; Bedridden with Samuel Adams

Excerpt from Bound for Glory:

Men are not allowed to display so openly a single tear. But this is my house and I shall do as I please. Ye do not seem to recall but ye saved our very lives yesterday. And for your efforts ye suffered amputation, a swelled ankle and the beginnings of a fever. It was a high price to risk to selflessly rescue us.

Holding. Clenching. But soft. I snuggle closer and slid more to the left. Pill-ow. The warmth in my arms was delightfully pleasing. Wait! What is this? Not a pillow but… I squint. Oh…, I giggle. I skip along the field with arms extended wide, thoroughly prepared to seize the opportunity. Catching glimpses of the occasional bird chirping happily and flowers blooming especially for me as I pass each one, I finally approach a delicate frame of a body. She giggles too, and holds my hands in hers. I squeeze her waist lovingly, close my eyes and pucker my lips –

“Have ye gone insane?!” the woman roars instead of delivering to me her own mouth.

I try again. This time, I reach for the buttons of her dress.

“Stop twisting my nipple!” she roars again.

I shrug. Wooing woman is not part of my jurisdiction. I make one final attempt. The direction of my finger travels to the region of her breast. I want to touch it, feel its softness.

She smacks me hard. I shoot upright in bed and holler as the familiar pain grips the lower half of my broken body once more. Flicking my eyes open, I scan the dark room, searching. Where am I? More importantly, where is she?

A few seconds pass and suddenly the room is a pale yellow. I groan and rub my right eye tiredly. I slowly drift away from the dream world, and then when my full senses arrive, I yawn and slip down in the covers.

Someone was watching me. I sensed a burning sensation and it was directed into my neck. Glancing curiously to the left side, I see Sam looking at me and I took notice instantly of his fiery red cheeks and glowering expression.

I smiled sheepishly. “Hello, Sam,” I squeaked.

He was fiddling with his left nipple. It was quite odd and disturbing to say the least but I watched in curious but disgusted fascination. Sam Adams, stroking his nipple. How quaint, I said to myself sarcastically.

“Do ye realize what ye have done?” he growled.

“No. Should I?” I blinked afterwards.

“Let it be known, ye are a guest in my home, and ye are here to recover. Erotic behavior is forbidden!”

My eyes widened in disbelief. “How? What?”

Sam was still playing with his nipple. It was becoming distracting.

“Well?” he asked by narrowing his right eyebrow, frowning.

I said nothing, not one word.

“Keep your lips to your side of my bed and furthermore I am not a toy to be squeezed and cuddled.”

I opened my mouth to object but I was interrupted.

“Be quiet,” Sam grunted. “And my breast is not to be touched…” He paused, still watching me intently. “No part of myself is to be touched in a most amorous way.”

I did not know how to respond. What have I done in my sleep?

“Do I make myself perfectly clear?” he asked sharply.

“I, what happened?” I managed.

“See this?” he asked, pointing to the nipple.

I glanced down, and then up at his eye level. “Yes?”

“Ye pinched it!” He yelled.

I could feel my cheeks beginning to grow warm. Completely unknown to myself, I did a few terrible things. I rolled over to the right and stared sheepishly off in no particular area of Sam’s bedroom.

I felt an object pressed tightly against the lower half of my back.

“Perhaps another pillow will suffice in keeping ye at a distance,” Sam grumbled. I heard him blow and the room went dark again as he blew out the candle. “Of all the nerve…,” then the bed jiggled as Sam rolled over himself. If he had decided to watch me, I did not know for certain but an uncomfortable weight settled upon my entire body for the remainder of the night.
Last edited by Fishr on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:14 am
mikedb1492 says...

Nice. This was pretty funny even though it was a little gross. The only bad thing I have to say, which isn't bad at all, is that I'm not sure how that quote you have at the beginning corresponds with this story. Other than that, I'm surprised Sam got back in bed with that guy. I'd have high tailed it out of there.
Anyway, overall you had great descriptions and you're a good story teller. Good job.
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:24 pm
Fishr says...

Hello. :D This was an experiment where I play with the subconcious mind. I put enough details to hopefully set loose an array of all kinds of fun images/emotions. Thus, the reason for the rating. XD

I have to admit this short story quickly became my second favorate for CL's contest.

As for the quote, interesting point but since this piece was meant to be short, I took a shortcut from my own novel instead of explaining why two men are in the same bed. Now, or you should know, the fellow with Adams has suffered a few injuries.

Sorry I grossed you out, lol! Glad you got a good laugh out of it. Thank you.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery