z

Young Writers Society

My-Father (The Struggle)

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:51 am
spy0h says...

This story took place in Amman the capital of Jordan in the first of august 1964, it was one of the happiest days ever for the young couple (Ahmad and his wife), in that day they had their third child (Hammoudeh), they had a twin before having him but the twin died so they were so happy for having him.
Years passed and they both had together other children (two girls and another boy) they were a happy of (Hammoudeh) and his siblings who were born after him.
For a full six years they almost had the perfect life, until that day in August 1970, the day that changed all of that happy family’s life, in that day an internal war was happening outside.
The sound of bombs, Tanks and machine guns was terrifying the poor little kids and their mother.
As humans the family had to eat, so their father (Ahmad) went out to buy food and some house needs.
The innocent little kid and their mother waited so long for (Ahmad) to come back home safely with something to eat with him.
They kept waiting but suddenly someone was knocking the door in a scary way, The mother opened the door and one of their relate came in with a very sad expressions on his face, He took few seconds to calm down then told them that (Ahmad) will never come back again.
Minutes of silence took over the place until the mother started crying but the little kids were wondering what does that mean, Their mother told them hardly that their father (Ahmad) died, The little kids started crying too, Their mother tried to ease it on them and on her self by reminding them that their father is going to a better place that is heaven.
It was shocking news for them because they lost a great father and their only supporter.
The family was so sure that it’s not going to be easy for them especially for their mother for having 4 little kids and for the older son (Hammoudeh) with no one to care of them, No one for the kids to play with, it was like they lost their other half.
They found them selves alone in a world full of challenges, in a world that only men can survive in.
Few days passed in a try to move on in their life and they found them selves in front of their first challenge in this horrible life witch is that they needed a financial supporter, in that time it was so difficult for a women to have a job but their mother refused to stay helpless so she worked at her house in sewing and alterations, and of course the mother’s family did their best to pay a part of the supports but it wasn’t enough for them.
In few days the first day of school is going to begin for the oldest child (Hammoudeh), He didn’t want to go to school but not getting educating was no option for his mother or even for him because it is one of the most important life needs after food so he attended school.
Few years passed and that family was surviving hardly on the supports they get from the mother’s family, so it’s time for them to start gaining some money, the family opened a small market to help supporting them selves.
By time the kids were getting older and their needs with them so the boys (Hammoudeh and Yahya) started to work in different type of jobs to earn some money.
Few years passed and (Hammoudeh) has finished his last year of school and he was waiting for his marks, if he pass he will think of going to university, if not he will be judged as a loser for all of his life, few days and the result was that he passed so he was thinking of studying Marine Engineering in Yemen but it was expensive for the family so he choose Agriculture Science, he applied for the university and now he is managing between work and going to university.
In 1986 he graduated as an agriculture engineer and he was so happy, his mother too because he was the first son graduate for her.
After graduating it was time to find a job in his study field, he looked so hard until he found a low payment job, but he knew if he wants to build his career and be successful that he must work very hard.
A year and few months passed and (Hammoudeh) was working very hard to build him self, his mother told him that it’s time for him to get married he agreed with her and he got married in 1990.
In the first year of his marriage his wife got pregnant and he had an opportunity to work abroad but it was their first child so it was a confusing decision but he choose to move and went to work abroad.
In 1991 they had their first child, they called him (Mohammad) and they were so happy of him, they wanted to have another baby because they believed that it was a gift from God, time passed and his wife got pregnant, after 9 months they had their second child and it happened to be me (Huthaifa), after having two sons opportunities in life were coming to him, he got a job at a big company here in Jordan.
For few years he worked hard to build his life and to give his family the best life, the life that he couldn’t have when he was young because of the tragedy that happened to his family and I think he succeeded in providing that life for us.
In early 2010 he had quit his job after 14 years of working for the same company but the reason was to give even a better life for his family and he has been working of opening his own company, lately he made his company.
Now am almost 18 years old I wrote this story to honor a great man that has built his life from nothing to be a successful man,
I don’t think that he knows that but I respect him and appreciate him for everything he has done in his life and in ours too.
I dedicate this poem I read on the internet to all fathers in the world.
A Father like You
Written by Anonymous
I just want you to know
you mean the world to me
only a heart as dear as yours
would give so unselfishly.

The many things you've done,
all the times that you were there,
Helps me know deep down inside
how much you really care.

Even though I might not say it,
I appreciate all you do
So richly blessed is how I feel
for having a father just like you.

This story has been written by: Huthaifa Hammoudeh
:)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:25 am
sameeha says...

I think you may have a few grammatical errors. Your daddy shud bvery proud. Good luck with your future work and always remember to keep things straight and simple. Keep an eye on your grammar and sentence structure. Hope your writings come to use for you and you can make a better future with them and take yourself to a better place using them.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:44 am
Shadowlight says...

Hi I'm shadow and I had the pleasure of reading this piece.

I think it's almost impossible to critique a piece like this that is written form the heart. this is more a pouring out of your soul so I will not critique it as a literary work.

A assume that English is not your first language so the grammatical errors are not a deterrent from the piece. but to let you know they can throw your reader off slightly.

Your father sounds like an amazing man to overcame such difficulties and was determined to rise above his hardships like that. It is wonderful you realize this and are so proud of him.

keep up the writing!

~Shadow
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 pm
spy0h says...

Thank you Miss Shadow,
well, yes it was written from my heart.
I promise you to try improving my English and learn everything to help me with writing :)
~Spy
:)

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:06 pm
dolwright says...

I think this piece would definitely make any father proud, though i agree with the others, the poor sentence structures can put the reader off but you did your best in sending out your message that you have a wonderful dad. Good job and keep writing.
'when I'm gone, my words will remain...
your word is a weapon, either of destruction or re-construction, whatever you make of it,
It's your choice.'

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan