z

Young Writers Society

My nightmare of a life

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 am
anasn2 says...

My nightmare of a life

Grass was breaking under my feet, my throat so dry I had nothing to swallow, yet, I did. It was a night in mid February, the cold was so severe that my skin was tricked into thinking it was hot, and sweat was pouring from each and every pore of my shivering body. What I was doing I could not recall, my brain froze as I tried to rinse this bit of memory, but nothing came. I decided to walk up the streets in hope that something will help me remember. I turned right, entering a dark alley, you could smell leftover meat rotting in the dumpsters, and nothing could be heard but the humming of flies’ wings as they joyfully circled round.

A sudden cry cut the silence cleanly, a scream of such terror, I was thrown to the floor, my head rapidly turned right and left, in hope that my eyes would see what my ears heard, but nothing could be seen and the scream which once tore the silence was dead. I got up to my feet, but not only my legs were erect, I realised that the hairs on the back of my neck were as well. I sprinted to the opposite end of the alley; adrenaline travelling through every vein, and my pulse could be taken from my ears.

As I reached the end of the alley a busy street came into view, humans of all sizes and ages walking towards me, people of such pale skin that their reflection obscured the street lamps’. Their eyes of blue so brilliant that it scared me, I had never seen such an amazing colour. As they came closer I realised that they were not walking at all but strangely floating. I glanced behind me in search of their destination but instead of the endless road I expected to find, there was just an old brick wall, orange and grey, lifeless as any other. I was now a bit worried, and turned back to face the strange kind of beings, but instead I found a mirror-image of the wall behind me, and the people that once floated towards me existed only in the sickest of my memories.

I set the walls each at one side and walked forwards, where at the end of the path a palm tree stuck joyfully from the bottom right corner of the only visible window. I could smell dampness and heard peaceful music that my ears really enjoyed; it was the sea singing off another day as the sun sought refuge and rendered us all blind. I marched on forward enjoying myself deeply, and biting my lips for not having on my swimming shorts. Suddenly, a terrible noise broke out, the same scream that had petrified me earlier, but this time I walked on merrily as if I had heard nothing for my joy was too great to be disturbed.

As I reached the beach I was surprised to learn that the sand was warm, so warm in fact, that I felt it through my shoes. I went forward still, till I reached the water, a sudden buzz of thoughts circled my head and at the end of the meaningless thoughts it said swim. My feet got wet, then two feet of my legs, till it was too hard to walk anymore. I took a deep breath and dived.

My poor face struck a tiled floor instead and blood was gushing out of my nose, as my right hand squeezed it my left was scurrying in my pockets for a tissue, or anything to wipe the blood with for that matter. As my fingertips held the fragile texture which I desired my left hand reached for my nose as my right fell back. No blood, no liquid nothing was there to wipe and in my attempts to prove my sanity, I searched the floor for any drops of blood when it ceased me.

On the tiles were drawings of amazing brilliance, people of white and pink either eating or playing or simply posing. Their physique was most fascinating, men with muscles the size of mountains, thick black eyebrows, piercing green eyes and dark hair. As for the women, I took a moment to process their images, their streamlined bodies were so smoothly chiselled, such an amazing aerodynamic design that if it were windy the air would bend gracefully as to not disturb such divinity. Furthermore, and as if that were not enough, they had hair of golden silk twirling aside their faces.

I could not remove my eyesight just yet, and looked farther still, where I saw an angel in the drawing, she appeared to be their princess or such. I froze as I saw her move and reach out at me, but actually it was just a mere reflection of a goddess standing in front of me. I reached for her hand and the long shiny fingers touched the stiff branchlike ones and I floated upwards to her level. I travelled in her eyes and observed each bit of her posture. My hands now circled her back and I embraced her as if she was a lost teddy bear and I the little girl who was glad to find it. I squeezed her tightly in fear that she might leave, and leave she did.

A single tear ripped the dry cheek of mine and I no longer had the will to live, for nothing is what I want, nothing ever will be. I ran as fast as I could and jumped at a glass window, but before being ripped apart by the blades of the glass, before I could have had the fortune to be rid of my misery, before I could end all this, I woke up, and all that was once was, became nothing.
Life was made to annoy us.
Try it: contests/viewcontest.php?id=66

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 am
SerenityCross says...

Wow. I felt actually and truly scared after reading this. I was alone in my bedroom. Anyway, I could not find any mistakes at all, so very well done! I love your writing and hope you will continue writing!

-Serenity :)-
Trust is like a mirror, able to be fixed if broken, but you can still see the cracks.

Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes but to save themselves, to survive as individuals.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:07 pm
FutureAstronaut says...

This story was exactly what a scary book should be, scary. I was confused on what happened when he smashed his nose. I think that he fell through a window and broke his nose, but I'm still wondering on that. But overall I thoroughly enjoyed the story and was truly scared during it.
Music and writing= my life

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm
LiveLifeLoud says...

Okay, this is my first review, ever, so please bear with me.

Overall I very much enjoyed this story. Your writing style is one I've always wished for, yet I can't seem to get all the details the way I want. You've done an amazing job. However, if you'll allow me to be nit-picky about one thing...

anasn2 wrote:heard peaceful music that my ears really enjoyed

The 'really', in this sentence sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Amidst all of the descriptive words you have, 'really', just tends to sound a bit lame. While reading the rest of your story, my mind always went back to that one word. Maybe 'thoroughly' might work in its place or another synonym that sounds more sophisticated, and rolls off the tongue easier.

Again, this is an excellent story. I'm excited for anything else you might write!

~LiveLifeLoud
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.
~Douglas Adams

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 pm
shagy91 says...

I saw nothing but a brilliant image of a life time, When i read those wonderful words... I could just draw pictures or even animate it for a movie!

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown