z

Young Writers Society

That Cruel Barb of Fate

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 am
EloquentDragon says...

Spoiler! :
A novel excerpt. Set in the past---in India. Enjoy!

“Kill me!” Hashta cried hoarsely. “Curse you, just kill me!” Dahran drew back his fist, the iron claws pointed downwards. His aim would be perfect; he would kill like a tiger-with a single slash to the throat. He was fully prepared to strike, yet he hesitated. Eyes wide and wild, he glared down one last time into those of his brother. Tears of rage were streaming down both their faces, quickly washing away with the rain. Hashta gazed levelly, unafraid, mocking him. A deep and pure hatred filled those eyes, those terrible eyes. Dahran had never seen such eyes as those.
“Strike! Why do you hesitate?” Hashta demanded of him. “Kill me now!”
“Ahhhh!” Dahran screamed with fury. But he stopped, and could not move, for fear wrapped its sharp cords around the fibers of his being. It was the eyes. He had looked into those eyes, and had seen himself. Those were his terrible eyes. That was his hatred. He was this monster. All wrath left him, suddenly, and he fell to his knees.
“Ahaaah!” he screamed again. His face contorted with anguish and torment. He grasped the sides of his head. “What have I done?” He cried bitterly. Dahran stretched himself out on the ground before Hashta. “Oh brother, forgive me!” He sobbed.

Hashta looked down on the pitiful form of his brother. There was no victory, for in his surrender Dahran had unwittingly triumphed. Why? Why had death, that final glory, eluded him? No, why had it been stolen from him? He stared down blankly at his conqueror and withdrew a dagger.
“You fool,” he said quietly, “You have killed me.
Only a moment passed between them, a surreal, fleeting moment. But the course of fate was changed in that one moment, shattered, its chain irreparable. Justice had been dully served, though tragically. For the hilt of the dagger had appeared, protruding from Hashta’s chest. He did not feel it. He felt nothing. As the last few seconds of his life faded away, Hashta considered the irony of it all. Everything had been taken from him: honor, birthright, favor. And he had strained and struggled to take it back. Since his first breath two things had sustained him, hatred and a desire. It was a simple desire, in truth. He had wanted only one thing-the desire to see his brother, his older perfect brother, lying at his feet in submission. At the last that desire had been fulfilled, but he had never intended for it to happen like this. Even though he had had thrown himself completely into the mercy of his brother, Dahran had won. Surrender had been his own choice, as had forgiveness, and he had taken more than victory from Hashta, he had taken away the desire. Stripped of this, his hatred was extinguished, unable to support itself; and his heart, wrapped tightly with bonds for so many years, began to unravel. Finally they were gone, and there remained nothingness. Cold, grey, nothingness. The emptiness, he knew, would consume him. Shrivel away all withering hopes of life. There was no hate, no forgiveness, no desire, no feeling except the fear. He was dead, Dahran had, at last killed him.
Unable to bare the emptiness, the hollowness, Hashta had driven that fatal blade, that wicked implement, in with his own hand. Sealing his end. He smiled grimly, fully convinced that now, the nothingness could not consume him, for there was now nothing left to consume. How wrong was he! For he had failed to realize, even at that final moment, that he had already lost. The nothingness had consumed him long ago. With bitter, hopeless defeat, Hashta drew his last breath and fell.
How treacherous is that cruel barb of fate!
Last edited by EloquentDragon on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:44 am
Renn says...

This was really dark, and I liked it. The mood was set from the very first sentence and continued throughout the entire passage. I think that it's remarkable that you could squeeze so much into one small excerp. The audience learns so much about Dahran and especially Hashta in so small a piece. I would like to know more about this story, and would read the whole story if I could.

As for editing, I think you could only improve on some punctuation and where you end paragraphs. Such as, in the first paragraph, I would devide it as follows-

“Kill me!” Hashta cried hoarsely. “Curse you, just kill me!”
Dahran drew back his fist, the iron claws pointed downwards. His aim would be perfect; he would kill like a tiger-with a single slash to the throat. He was fully prepared to strike, yet he hesitated. Eyes wide and wild, he glared down one last time into those of his brother. Tears of rage were streaming down both their faces, quickly washing away with the rain. Hashta gazed levelly, unafraid, mocking him. A deep and pure hatred filled those eyes, those terrible eyes. Dahran had never seen such eyes as those. Those terrible eyes.

Just that simple edit would make, to crazy me, an easier read for me.

Keep writing, because I want to hear more about the two of them! :)

-Renn
'Evil exists in all of us Torak. Some fight it. Some feed it. That is how it has always been.'

"There is always a choice," said Torak, and he backed off the cliff.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:45 am
MamaLama95 says...

There was an over-repetition of 'terrible eyes'. I can understand using it a couple of times, but you overdid it a little.
Aside from that, good, dark, mystical, and very appealing to me - I love all those old Indian stories about heroes and gods and goddesses. Beautiful.
Being children of a cruel reality, we fall prey to the greater powers.
To envy.
To madness.
Betrayal.
Love.
And yet without these things, we cannot remain human. Without these things, we are nothing.
But it is the greatest sacrifice. To envy. To be mad. To betray. To love.
To be human.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:53 pm
Ranger51 says...

This was very well written - I loved the dark mood and the way emotion muddled the narration. You captured the mood perfectly with an ornately poetic yet brutally honest style, making the whole story surreal and beautiful.

My only advice is that putting "Ahhh" in quotations seems unnecessary and somehow seems to take away the flow of this piece. (This may be personal preference, I don't know, but it really got to me.) Just saying that he screams in fury puts a detailed enough mental image in my head - the 'ahhhh" just gets in the way, in my opinion.

Also, after searching the entire story twice, I found a grand total of one singular spelling error:
Unable to bare the emptiness, the hollowness, Hashta had driven that fatal blade, that wicked implement, in with his own hand. Sealing his end.

'Bare' should have been spelled 'bear' - "Unable to bear the emptiness". 'Bare' means uncovered or naked, as in a blade being bared. (Synonyms are evil, aren't they?)

Usually in pieces like this, I find all kinds of grammatical errors, but I didn't catch any at all - good job! :D This was a great study of hate and desire, and what happens when that hate and desire is suddenly taken away. Fate can indeed be a cruel barb. You even managed to make it relatively short - I love it. I can never do backgrounds without taking about two paragraphs to explain everything.

Keep writing!
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:44 am
snowberry23 says...

Well, the first thing that popped into my mind was, “I really like the unique names.” I know its set in the past in India but still; I love when writers choose to name their characters something you never actually hear on a day to day basis.

Anyway, fantastic story, please please please turn it into a book because I will most definitely read it. Just the way you stated certain thoughts, and the idea that he was born and from his first breath lived for two reasons, and two reasons alone, nothing short of amazing, this piece awed me. I don’t even know if “awed” is a term people use, but that’s what I am, awed. I can’t wait to read more of your works.

You are an astonishing writer, and don’t let someone make you believe otherwise.
~SnowBerry
When nothing goes right, go left

Time is money, money is power, power is pizza, and pizza is knowledge!
— April, Parks & Rec