Young Writers Society

The Adventures of Jake and Isabelle, Part 2

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:23 am
Tommybear says...

The Adventures of Jake and Isabelle

And the Treasure of Agrusmus

“They started small and worked their way slowly up to our story this evening. Tonight’s adventure is called, Jake and Isabelle and the Treasure of Agrusmus.”

One spring morning, while the castle lay sleeping, Isabelle snuck into Jake’s room. This was a common occurrence, and the normal beginning to most of her crazy schemes. With smiles on their faces they tip-toed out of the castle, bribing the gate guard with lemon squares . . . yes lemon squares. Honestly, though, I cannot fathom how much he liked them. They had an adventure about every other day and they gave him twenty squares so you do the math! It is amazing he is not the fattest man in the kingdom. Just between you and me, I think it is because he has so many kids and shares them. But, on with the story. I am sure Francis will have an excellent day. After all, I’m the author, and can make it that way!

That’s enough ludicrous self-absorption for one day… where were we? Ah! Right, so Isabelle and Jake had traveled several miles by now, when they stopped in at Old Man Bob’s house. Now, this is where they at last heard of the Treasure of Agrusmus.

If you were a very attentive reader, you would have noticed that, that is the name of our adventure today! Thanks to Old Man Bob, who, at the time of this adventure was older than sand itself. Okay, I guess that is enough old jokes considering I am older than he was at the time, oh goodness.

Startling Dingo, all the kids screamed in unison, “Dingo! On with the story!” They were all enjoying his monologues just as much as he remembered them, not at all.

Isabelle knocked on the door and quickly realized that Old Man Bob could not hear them, so as any unthinking child would do, went in anyway.

Since there were kids in the room, I decided to fib a little on the next part.

Isabelle barged into the room and shielded her eyes, but quickly realized that Old Man had a robe on, thank goodness. PHEW!

“Why Isabelle, what a pleasant surprise! Ooh and tip of the hat to you, too, young boy-o.” Old Man Bob had terrible eyes, comes with the old man syndrome. Bob had a thick accent. He was said to have sailed from a place called Ire-Land, or something like that.

“Hello Bob!” Isabelle beamed. “We brought you some breakfast. I was hoping you could tell me more about Agrusmus.”

“Ah, that sounds delightful. Come sit children, come come . . .” Bob said gesturing to his table.

“On the kick drum!” Jake added, making Isabelle giggle a little.

For two hours, Jake and Isabelle sat and ate breakfast with Bob, while listening to the story of Agrusmus. Supposedly, Agrusmus had begun his days as a pirate. The legends say that he sailed with his father, King Rubadub, pillaging and conquering kingdom after kingdom. They were invincible, or so it seemed. One night, Prince Agrusmus decided to rebel against his father because he could never win his approval anyway, so why keep trying. He threw his father overboard, and King Rubadub drowned. Being a power-hungry coupe, it is only natural that Agrusmus was always paranoid that his own reign would be cut short by a greedy captain. Over time, Agrusmus whittled his men down to a few trustworthy captains and subjects. It is said that in his old age, Agrusmus took all his riches and sailed into a cave, never to be seen again. The only problem with being rich in a cave is that there's no one to compare yourself to and nothing to buy, so what’s the point of being rich. This drove him mad, and it is says that he committed suicide because he couldn’t get out of the cave with the treasure after sailing in . . .

Dingo took a deep breath. “Kids, the fact is that Isabelle became obsessed over looking for the Agrusmus treasure. Each adventure, month after month, was searching for the cave. Even when her family took their spring vacation to the eastern ocean, she asked hermits and towns people, if they had discovered or heard of anything. Now, nothing is wrong with her being curious, but she kept getting herself in trouble with her parents.”

“But Dingo, princesses can’t get in trouble . . . what’d be the point of being a princess?” A little girl had raised her hand in the middle of the mountain of children. The resounding chorus of cheers and jeers from the other children confirmed her question was legitimate.

“Well Jenna, the King and Queen at that present time were pretty relaxed, but when you burn down an inn, set fire to three hundred acres of corn and wheat, and rip the toupee off of a local royal governor during a town meeting, it is only natural that you would get reprimanded.” Dingo had been smiling through the whole explanation. Even I don’t know if he was telling the whole truth, or if he had exaggerated it a little which is a story teller’s right. Who am I to say if that is the truth or not, I wasn’t there.

The little girl seemed satisfied with the answer, giving a giggle of delight at the troublesome princess. The rest of the group joined in with giddy chuckles after seeing how Jenna had reacted. The sandy haired cutie, rocked back and forth on her hind haunches, anxious for the story to continue. “But Dingo, how’d she get out of being grounded if she was in so much trouble?”

“Ah, Jenna! Now that is a very loaded question.” Dingo’s eyes sparkled with the glory of being in the spotlight. He told the enchanted children of how Isabelle was a crafty young girl with many talents, not the least of which being cute as a button. She batted her dark eye lashes over her crystal clear blue eyes at her father, and he would melt like ice cream on a hot summer day. She would then commence to twisting his words while her parents continued to poorly communicate, and she and Jake would be off on another adventure. Several girls in the crowd basked in comparison to Princess Isabelle. Many fathers can’t resist healing their baby girls’ aches and pains, including not enforcing rules sometimes. Isabelle was very, very aware of her power; probably too aware.

“At the end of their month abroad, Isabelle had made new friends and allies in her search of the Agrusmus treasure. Armed with her vast knowledge that consisted of myth, pure legend, and a large hunch she returned to Old Man Bob’s house once again. This time something was different, however. Someone had kicked in Old Man Bob's house, and he was nowhere to be found."
Formerly TmB317

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 am
Lava says...

Hey there!

So, I did not peek at Part 1, and so, some of my comments may not help you. Anyway, I liked the voice and how you went about telling the story. Good work!

Several girls in the crowd basked in comparison to Princess Isabelle.
Umm, I don't get this. Basked?

When you switch between the different voices I get a little confused initially, but I don't want you to change it drastically. That would spoil the story. But, maybe a subtle change in tone would help. ^^

I would to see more of Isabelle and Jacob. What is their relationship, how do they go about their daily life and that. I would like to see some building of their characters. And I would like to see a teeny bit more description.

Thanks for a good read.
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:19 pm
PaulClover says...

I'm really liking this story :) It reads kind of like a new fairy tale, which is pretty much what you were going for, so mission accomplished sir *salutes*

The story-within-a-story-within-a-narration has a lot of potential for confusion, and for the most part you avoid it. But it would be nice if the plot slipped deeper into Dingo's narrative without as much interruption. Don't get me wrong, I like the style here, but it's kinda hard to care for Jake and Isabella as characters with the way this is going. The scene with Dingo and the children could be visited in brief intervals, maybe at the beginnings or endings of certain chapters, kind of peppered throughout the narrative at crucial or bittersweet spots; it's a little too constant and in-your-face here.

But again, you know what they say about opinions. Only you know your story and where it's going, and all the changes I've just mentioned are pretty drastic tonally, so please take them with a grain of salt. Other than that, I really do love this story and the direction it's heading in. The only other thing I want to mention is that I love the name Rubudub. It's technically a pun, but let's just call it a "play on words" ;)

Anyway, keep writing (and do finish this) :D
Remember your name. Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found. Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped to help you in their turn. Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story. - Neil Gaiman

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana