z

Young Writers Society

The Crate Episode 1

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:58 pm
Tristanght says...

It's heavy, it's cold, and it's uncomfortable. I feel guilty holding it, and I feel like a murderer. I'm holding a gun, and I just got out of school. Breathing heavy, I undid the safety feature with my thumb. The room shook with fright.

"F-f-freeze!" I squieled. My entire body shook. I'm glad my mom's not watching.

No! Don't think about her right now! You've gotta do this without looking like a baby. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

The men around me turned around. I seemed to shrink. One of them stepped closer, causing me to jump. I pointed towards him. He froze.

"Watch it kid, just put down the gun, and we won't hurt you." he said. I wanted to say, "Not gunna happen!" or, "You not in the situation to be making deals." but something held me back. I felt a trickle of sweat run down my ear. It went in, causing me to feel awkward.

He stepped closer. I threatened him by inching the gun closer to him. He stopped in his tracks. Then a woman shrieked, we all jumped. In all the confusion, the man jumped on me and tried to strip the gun out of my hands, but i held firm. Panicked, I pulled the trigger.

Random avatar

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:59 pm
Tristanght says...

The title comes in later in the story.

6 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:16 am
Truly_Alone8 says...

O-okay. There were some spelling mistakes in there, so I'd check it over again. But it was really interesting... I'd like to know why the kid was holding the gun. Adding a little more description into it would improve the intensity and feel. Also, you could explain where the kid was and a little more on how he got there-- that would pull the reader into the quick ending a lot better. I don't have a lot more advice. Continue, please, for this is way too short.
~ "Life is not black and white, good and bad; It is grey, of indifference" ~

Truly_Alone8

Random avatar

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:56 am
joec says...

Tristanght wrote:It's heavy, it's cold, and it's uncomfortable. I feel guilty holding it, and I feel like a murderer. I'm holding a gun, and I just got out of school. Breathing heavy, I undid the safety feature with my thumb. The room shook with fright.

You could have just written something like this instead: "I feel guilty holding it, like a murdered." it makes the text feel repetitive if you continually use pronoun-verb beginnings.

Tristanght wrote:"F-f-freeze!" I squieled. My entire body shook. I'm glad my mom's not watching.

No! Don't think about her right now! You've gotta do this without looking like a baby. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

The men around me turned around. I seemed to shrink. One of them stepped closer, causing me to jump. I pointed towards him. He froze.

"Watch it kid, just put down the gun, and we won't hurt you." he said. I wanted to say, "Not gunna happen!" or, "You not in the situation to be making deals." but something held me back. I felt a trickle of sweat run down my ear. It went in, causing me to feel awkward.

'You've gotta do this without looking like a baby' you've=you have
Instead of writing 'you've', why not just 'you'?

Tristanght wrote:He stepped closer. I threatened him by inching the gun closer to him. He stopped in his tracks. Then a woman shrieked, we all jumped. In all the confusion, the man jumped on me and tried to strip the gun out of my hands, but i held firm. Panicked, I pulled the trigger.

I do not think you are supposed to start a sentence with 'Then'. It is a subordinate clause that needs to be a part of the main clause to form a complete sentence.

You still have a lot of grammatical errors, and you really should do spellcheck on your works, but you are getting better.

Keep on writing!

---
Joe

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:49 pm
Buddha says...

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the style of writing (I'm a biggie on writing style) and although there are some spelling errors I liked how you really described the tension in the room. I would appreciate a little more about what's happening though. It's all very confusing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ALL HAIL BUDDHA
WOoT WOoT WoOt WoOt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:57 am
J. Wilder says...

I like it, but you switch back and forth between tenses--choose one. Also there are a couple typos. But it's interesting and I like the voice of the character. Post more.

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle