Young Writers Society

A life unwritten-finished!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:23 pm
Harley says...

A Life Unwritten

Started by Emma
Finished by Harley (with permission by Emma)

My name’s Anna, I normally hang around with my two best mates – Janet and Suzie. I have decided to use my life to save other people like me. I felt it was destiny to help those that are in need in my town. This time the mission was going to be harder, bloodier and more tiring that any other mission I have tried ever before. Never in my wildest dreams would I be solving problems that could lead to death and destruction. Ok… so we saved a museum from being taken over by ghosts and saved an old woman from drowning in the canal, but nothing would prepare us for this. Of course, it would all have to start in my favourite hang out. Most people would start off in the morning when they get up, or something along those lines, but my story starts where my stories always start; the good old Starbucks.
I sat at our favourite table by the window, the latest copy of the local newspaper, “The Stains News” in my hand. Janet and Suzie went up to the counter to order the smoothies. I had tried to look prettier than usual today, wearing my long black wavy hair down. I was wearing my favourite pair of jeans, with a massive gash in the denim at my knees, and a lemon-yellow T-shirt with butterflies on it. On my wrist hung a beautiful charm bracelet I had bought just the other day, with small beads and a large pendant on it. Of course, I wouldn’t look pretty for nothing. The boy of my dreams – Adam Shorn, was sitting at the table across from me. That blond hair that flew whenever there was a light breeze, and his eyes; as blue as the sea, and those his lips… well, perfect for a kiss which would melt your heart. Suzie knew I had a crush on him. She was always alerting me by nudging me in the ribs every time he went past, as if I wasn’t already aware of his presence.
The two girls sat down at the table, with a large grin on their faces, probably happy that they finally got their smoothies. I looked back at Adam to find him staring back at me. He looked at his watch and then to his jacket. He waved to me as he got up. Fortunately, the other two were busy arguing about whether summer fruit was better than tropical flavour. I sighed and looked down at the newspaper, grinning like that bob-cat in the Pocahontas song. I supposed I wasn’t going to get anywhere hiding from him. As I looked down at the paper something caught my eye: -

Murderer loose after bloody killings.

I quickly read on, taking in all the info I could fit into my tiny mind. Murderer aged around thirty to thirty-five, short and pudgy looking, short brown hair. Janet suddenly saw my black, concentrated eyes and peered over to see what I was looking at.
“Oh no,” She snapped,” We ain’t doing that mission if our lives depended on it!” Suzie leaned over to peer at the newspaper too, and shook her head.
“It’s too big a task. We could get ourselves killed.” My determined face turned into a puppy dogs’. I knew it. They were all chickens – too scared to even try.
“If we have fought ghosts then I pretty much think we can defeat a mad killer.” As I heard the words coming out from my lips, I realised that I sounded insane, but I didn’t care. “Anyway it’s, like, destiny! You must feel it too. You may not want to do it but inside, you have to do it.” They sighed, knowing that I was right. A smile grew on my face and we started to re-read the paper, so we could drink in the necessary information. We were going to catch that dude.
After another drink (smoothie for me, hot chocolate for the other two) in the coffee house we decided to have a walk around to see if we could spot the psychotic killer. The best place to look was in the alleyways. They were always dark from the shadows of the buildings all around them. I knew deep in side that we weren’t going to find the guy – but it was hard to put my mind someplace else. I just wanted to search him down and beat the life out of his hard, cold, evil skin. Janet ran ahead, laughing manically about something which would most likely be strange to everyone else, while Suzie tried to catch up with her. I forced a thin, anxious smile on my face and ran off after them into a dark, dingy ally.
It was fun to be happy for a change, even though we heard about the killer. It was like we had forgotten all about him and his actions. It wasn’t until we suddenly heard a noise from the nearby dustbins that our happiness turned into fear. It couldn’t be from anybody who lived in the ally because each house had its windows and doors all boarded up with plywood, which was covered in colourful graffiti. We stood there in the ally, a sudden chilly breeze sweeping through the air. We kept as still as a corpse, not saying anything – not moving a muscle. Suddenly we heard a grumbling sound. A voice! It was as deep as a foghorn and as crackly as a bonfire. I took a step back and carefully picked up a dirty French knife, which was beside me. The blade was very blunt and had a little rust at the handle, but it was better than nothing. I slowly wiped off the mud with a Kleenex, making sure my hands didn’t get dirty. Janet and Suzie soon followed with other kitchen utensils, which had been left by the person who once owned the old restaurant, before it caught fire. I took the first step, taking my time and trying hard not to make a sound. I even had to hold my breath. Janet and Suzie followed. I slowly crept over to the bins, my body shaking like a defective jackhammer as I got closer and closer. I turned my head slightly to see where my friends where. They were shaking as badly as me. Well, Janet was. Suzie looked like she was having a spasm. I saw the gathering fear that lay in her eyes, her thin lips closed tightly together; she was trying not to scream.
“W-why … couldn’t we …j-just’ve played… d-droughts instead?” She trembled, her whispering voice slowly leading into silence as we got even closer to our deathbed. We got to the bins, our eyes as sharp as a new steel knife. We kept them focused and concentrated on the corner we were about to leap out from. I peered over the group of bins to find the killer, the description in the newspaper matching him perfectly. His evil eyes connected with mine, and he slowly got up from his hiding place, grunting at the strain on his stubby legs.
“Y’all gotta help me.” We looked at him uncertainly and took a step back, Janet tripping over Suzie. “You kids don’t know what’s goin’ on!” He continued, “I’m no killer! I-I was made too, by this fella’, see.”
Janet shook her head. Her face was as red as a clown’s nose, and her eyes… full of anger. She stared at the man, studying him carefully.
“No… you did it because you wanted to. I know who you are, we all do. We aren’t as stupid as we look. We’re not going to help you. We are going to give you over to the police and if we have to—“Her voice broke and tears welled up in her eyes. “We’ll kill you…”
She turned to us. I could tell she meant it, but I didn’t think we could actually kill someone. That’s never right, even if they’re a killer themselves. If we did, then we would be in the same league as he was. We would get hunted down, put in a juvenile detention centre or worse…prison. I stood there, totally freaked about the whole idea. I was unable to grasp what we had gotten ourselves into. I turned to the worried Suzie, she looked much worse. He skin was no longer a beautiful rosy red but a pale white colour.
“Fine. Don’t believe me. I’ll just have to kill you.” He spoke softly, as though singing us a last, deadly lullaby. His hand reached slowly into his pocket and produced a small knife. I had seen one before, in a book. It was called a katana. He swished it back and forwards, each time getting closer to us. We were petrified. Janet was quicker though, producing a bread knife and trying to fight back. She tightened her grip on her bread knife, blocking each attack as it was given. She was excellent; her father was Chinese and therefore had taught her lots of forms of martial arts. However, I knew that even she couldn’t last much longer. I quickly joined in too, dropping my knife in the haste. I was scratching and kicking him in different places, not thinking about what I was doing. Suzie trembled, too scared to move. The murderer cursed violently and made a mad dash for freedom. We tried catching up with him, but it was no use; his speed was twice as fast as ours. He scrambled over a metal chained fence and disappeared. Suzie stood up, and let out a huge sigh of relief mixed with worry. We stood in the darkness, tired and sore, unable to recall on what had just happened. Janet kicked the bins down and cursed to herself. She gently pulled her brown hair away from her face and turned to us – forcing a smile, “Let’s go home…” She sighed. We all nodded.
We then walked off, out of the ally, into the town. It hurt our eyes (mine especially since I was photosensitive) as they had become adjusted to the dim light. I whipped out my shades and watched her walking off, but didn’t move from my space. Suzie was still quite scared and shaky, and I had to calm her down. If any of our parents knew about this, we would be grounded for like, years.
“We can’t go on, Anna. We gotta go home; it’s safe there,” Whispered Suzie. She gripped onto my arms and shook me lightly, “Promise that we won’t go on!” She cried. I turned away, trying to block her cries out. I couldn’t help it; I had to beat him. I had to show him that no one can get away from something like that. So, I gripped onto her arms and held her. She was a tearful wreck.
“You know what we have to do, Suze. We can’t change what destiny has told us to do. Inside, we’ll regret it if we do.” I spoke softly, to try and comfort her. She let out a lonely cry and nodded. I looked over at where Janet had knocked down the bins. There lay the Katana that the murderer was trying to kill us with. He must have forgotten it – the stupid doofis. I picked it up, admiring the detail on the handle, and then put it in my pocket. “We’d better catch up with Janet.” I said firmly. Suzie nodded, and I don’t think she noticed that I had picked up the knife. With that, we walked further into the town, like Janet did; looking around every five seconds in case the man was trying to follow us. After around five minutes of searching for Janet, we suddenly saw her, but she wasn’t alone. We managed to keep our distance, but we could still see Janet and her follower. Janet was totally unaware of anyone there. As we got closer to the person, we suddenly realized who it was… the killer! He was stalking her so he could finish off the job. We watched them as we walked quickly to get closer. The walk turned into a brisk jog and finally a slow run. We stayed silent and our movements weren’t sudden. They took a turning off the main street and we kept following the two. My heart was beating way too fast. The blood was pulsing in my head. I wasn’t even sure it was meant to beat that fast… I could have a heart attack! It was the only thing that stopped me thinking ‘what if the killer…’ every time we caught a glimpse of him. We turned to the right, out of the side street into our neighbourhood. I sighed with relief, he wouldn’t get the chance to kill her– she was too close to home. But he suddenly got closer, taking a long silent leap and landing like a ninja…
I screamed. I screamed as loud as I could. I had to attract both of their attention, and it was the only way I could think of on the spot. They both turned around and automatically Janet spotted him. She kicked him in the back and his body straightened from the force. Whimpering– he held his back. Janet, however, was too fast for him, sweeping a low-kick through his feet and sending him crashing to the tarmac road. Janet had asked her dad to teach her all the combat moves from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”. The killer groaned, half on account of the pain and half of the shock, and slowly got up, but we had already made a run for it.
“See you later LOSER!” shouted Janet. He cursed loudly to the sky and tried to run after us, but it was no use. I can’t even begin to describe how thankful I was that the whole cul-de-sac was at the boat show. I made a promise to myself. Next time I vowed to catch him and get him arrested, no matter what the consequences…

The next day I woke up early. The sun was glaring into my sensitive eyes, causing a throbbing pain. Covering my eyes, I got up from the heap of mess which once resembled a bed. I thought I would never have gotten to sleep last night, with all the excitement and fear, but the fighting had really worn me out. After Janet’s amazing performance we had hid in the vintage store, next to the jewellery, but we were too anxious to shop. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the murderer staggering past the glass doors of the store, and after a few minutes, we reasoned that it was safe to go home. We got a taxi, explaining to the driver that we had heard of the killer loose and wanted to be safe. He said that we were smart kids.
I put another pair of shades on and peered out of the window. Kids as young as five were playing on the streets. The boys were playing their normal game of football, hitting it off the windows and fences. The younger girls played hopscotch. Janet and Suzie were the only other girls in our small town my age. Janet had a fraternal twin brother Marcus, but he liked to play football on Sunday mornings…
That’s when I realised it. Sunday!! Today was the day I had promised my dad I would help him out at the clinic! My dad owned a veterinary practice, between the bookstore and the boutique, “Trés Chic Boutique”. I couldn’t look for the killer! Janet could be followed again, or worse; Suzie. I thundered over to my computer desk and opened up the internet, thankful once again for Broadband. Suzie was on her instant messenger, but Janet wasn’t. Her brother’s name was in bold, so he was on instead. I talked to Suzie.

Annabanana79: Suzie? Listen, I gotta help my dad at the clinic
>
Suzie:-): :-O What will I do?
>
Annabanana79: Stay indoors. I’m gonna have to call Janet and let her know. Ok?
>
Suzie:-): I’m scared
>
Annabanana79: I am too, but we have to stop him. Delete this in your chat log as soon as I go off. I’ll delete it in mine. Be brave for me.
>
Suzie:-): I’ll try. Bye.
>
Annabanana79: Bye.

Then I called Janet. Marcus answered.
“Hello?” I gulped. Marcus is always trying to get into the April Girls’ secrets. We call ourselves the April Girls because we are all born in April. I am the youngest, Janet is the oldest and Sophie is stuck in the middle.
“Um… hi,” I was nervous, but who could blame me? “Is, uh, is Janet there?”
“Ooh, April Girl business?” he teased. I had to think fast; otherwise he would bug the phone.
“No, I was just wondering… what homework we had for… geography.” I know it was lame, but we could get in serious trouble if anyone found out.
“Janet didn’t have any.” This was going to be way harder than I thought.
“Oh. Well, uh, I wanted to ask about maths as well,” I said, running out of excuses.
“I don’t know. Hold on.” I heard the clatter of a phone on a wooden table and Marcus calling for Janet. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Janet picked up after a few seconds.
“Hi, Anna, what’s up? Something about… maths?” Her voice wasn’t worried, which surprised me a little.
“Look, Jan, I need you to gather up all the phones in your house.” It sounded weird, but it was better than getting caught. Janet laughed.
“Um, they’re already here. Dad’s getting new house phones today and he’s dropping the old ones off at my cousin’s.” I was glad; no Marcus.
“Thank God,” I breathed, “Look, I’ve done something stupid. I promised my dad last week that I’d help him out at the clinic!” There was silence.
“And…” Janet didn’t understand.
“We can’t fight the killer!”
“Oh. My. God. You have to get out of it!” Janet sounded totally desperate, “We can’t do it without you! We would’ve been killed if you hadn’t seen those knives!”
“I can’t, or he’ll wonder why. Look, all you guys have to do is sty inside, for as long as you can.”
After that, we said goodbye and I got ready to go to the clinic. My mom was going to her friend’s birthday party in Schenectady, so I didn’t have to worry about her. When we arrived at the clinic, however, something amazing happened, a godsend in my opinion.
“Jill!” My dad looked happy to see her. Jill was the attendant who was off sick.
“Felt tons better, so I thought I’d come in.” Jill looked really good, apart from her face, which was a little red.
“Um, Dad?” I asked, “Does this mean I can go over to Janet’s?” He smiled and nodded. I was so out of there.
I ran as fast as I could through the town until I got to our cul-de-sac, which was empty again. Most were at the Church fete, and Janet and Suzie’s moms were at the supermarket. Adam Shorn lived in our cul-de-sac, but the car was gone. He had a little sister, who I didn’t really like, on account of her always leaving jump-ropes lying around.
Anyway, as I approached, I heard Janet’s voice, and it was shouting. I ducked behind a dumpster, and peered out from the edge. He was back, and this time, he had a gun.
A gun, a gun!! My mind went racing. I watched as he ran at Janet. She threw a football at him, and it hit him in the face. He grunted with pain, but then kept moving, this time walking slowly. I ran and jumped on his back, digging my nails into his fat neck. He tried to shake me off, but I held on tight with my legs. Janet ran forward and kicked his hand, sending the gun skittering over to Suzie’s doorstep. I glanced over and saw her. She was as white as snow and shivering as if she was stuck in it. She looked down at the gun and grabbed it. She stuffed it behind the bushes and stood up, looking around to see if there was anything she could use to help us. I could see her eyes widening even though I was being shaken like salt. I tried to hold on, but couldn’t and within seconds I found myself flying through the air. I landed with a thud and a crunch of breaking bone that sent shivers all through me. My arm throbbed, and I knew right then that I had broken it.
I struggled to sit up but found it really hard to get up, so I shuffled over to the dumpster and watched in terror as Suzie grabbed a metal scooter and silently ran around to the back of the killer. Janet was fighting like Buffy again, and he didn’t notice her. I don’t think he even realised that she was there. Suzie took the handles of the scooter and raised it high above her, the deck swivelling. She swung it and smacked it off the killer’s head, knocking him unconscious. He sank to the floor. Janet then rushed over to me, followed by Suzie.
“You guys were great!” I said. Everyone smiled and looked over at the killer. He was still breathing; we could see his chest moving up and down.
“Let’s tie this sucker up.” Said Janet, and I made my way over to Adam’s little sister’s jump-ropes. I tried to gather them up but it was hard with one arm. I stopped when I heard a voice.
“Y’know I don’t think my little sis will be too happy about you tying up a dangerous criminal with her ropes.” I looked up and saw Adam Shorn.
“Well… I… uh… I...” My voice trailed off as the streetlights came on. I hadn’t realised how dark it was.
“I’m kidding. Here let me help you. I’ll give them a hand tying him up and you go into my house and call 911. Ask for the Police to come and tell them you’ve broken your arm.” Then he held out a hand. I looked at it, dumbly, and felt like an idiot.
“You wanna hand up?” I nodded and blushed. He helped me and then told me that the phone was in the hallway on a table. Adam’s house was nice and it took every fibre of my being not to run upstairs to his bedroom. I walked along the carpeted hall and peeked at the living room. MTV was on and they were playing Maroon 5. I picked up the phone and dialled. The operator asked what criminal I had caught, but I didn’t know his name; it was unknown. She said that she would send an ambulance that would fix up my arm. I thanked her and went outside, where I was welcomed by an unconscious hogtied criminal.
“Where are Janet and Suzie?” Adam was smiling at me, making me blush even more. He stepped closer.
“They went to get the cops.” His eyes glinted from the streetlight we were under. He leaned in very close and everything was silent. Oh My God!! He kissed me!!! It was so great but totally interrupted by sirens screeching. I turned and saw two police cars and an ambulance, and knew that everything was going to be alright.

The next few days were full of photos and interviews, but I was thankful for the weekend when it had all died down. We’d caught him, he was put in prison for life, and everything was going great. I’m afraid I’ll have to leave you there; Adam’s waiting. Turns out he likes girls who can hold their own against psychos.

THE END (hopefully)
Last edited by Harley on Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:59 pm
Emma says...

Yes, I did let Harley finish it off for me. and see? One mistake: sty should be stay. Unless its a new word....

But please tell her to write more!!!

NOW.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 pm
Firestarter says...

“It’s too big a task. We could kill our selves.”

I think it would be better as "It's too big a task. We could get ourselves killed."

I didn't spot too many other stuff.

In all, I really enjoyed reading this. You seem to have a good style of writing that gives enough information and keeps the reader hooked, and a good plot going too. Hope to see some more of your work soon because I found this really quite good.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:49 pm
Emma says...

Jack, its the way Suzie speaks, not everyone needs to speak standard English in a story.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:59 pm
Firestarter says...

I wasn't suggesting she spoke standard english. But it doesn't make sense if someone says what she originally put. Would you say that - "We could kill ourselves" ? It's suggesting they could commit suicide or something. Perhaps you should not be so rash to prove people wrong. I was just attempting to help Harley improve her story.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:49 pm
Harley says...

Don't fight :P I probably wouldn't say "We could get ourselves killed" but then again I am strange lol 8) Keep those critz coming!!!!!!! Pleeeeeease!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:46 pm
J_hippy says...

I am so glad you wrote this in the first person, I don' think it would of worked otherwise.

Random avatar

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:15 pm
Harley says...

yeah, i get what you mean. thanks.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0

I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster