z

Young Writers Society

The Scribe

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:11 am
Dr.Atl says...

Calon awoke to the sudden feeling of expectations, it buzzed in the air of the small hut he shared with his mother like a live thing. Twisting and twining around the necks of all who lived there, waiting for them to find out just exactly what it promised. It filled him with a sort of nervous energy that coursed like fire through his veins, making him unable to stay still any longer.Calon hopped from his nest of blankets and sleepily tromped into the front room and was surprised to find that during the night, his mother had prepared a feast fit for a king “Ama, what’s the occasion?” His mother sat a plate piled with food before him and smiled brightly, her plump form shaking with laughter, what was so funny?

“Silly boy,” she responded. “Today is your 15th turn on this earth, the day you begin on the path of becoming a man.” She tearfully patted him on the shoulder and disappeared back into the kitchen to bring out even more delectables.Although she had prepared all of his favorite dishes, he could eat none of it.

Calon had completely forgotten about the day if his blank expression was anything to go by. The day that he would journey out into the desert with nothing but his Lakir, Nicka and the clothes on his back to the place of prophets, there he would receive his true name and guiding spirit. Upon his return, he would receive the first in a series of tattoos that would mark him as a true man, but calon was still but a boy, and an inept one at that. How would he defend himself from ghouls if he could barely lift a scimitar? He’d be ghoul fodder before he was even a mile from the village! He would hate to disappoint his mother, but it would be better if he hid until the time for him to leave for the Place of Prophets was well over. Resolutely, he shoveled down several large gulps of spiced desert fowl and snuck past the hanging curtain that separated the kitchen from the dining room. Quickly, he led Nicka from her pen and led her to the mounting stool. For once, he had no trouble mounting her and then they were off, her bird-like feet flying across the golden brown sands. Calon fancied that the sun beat down with a fierce energy that day, that its pulsing rays chastised the boy from running from the village. But in truth lord sun, he thought. that is all I am, a boy. He didn’t want the responsibilities of a man, nor did he want to one day take a wife, he had no interest in the vapid girls of the village, nor did he have any interest the boys of his village who the adults whispered about in hushed tones. He would never be a warrior of any renown either. Sometimes, he wished that he had the talent of Haruel, or the agility and grace of Anwar, but every time he went to sleep hoping to wake up stronger or more elegant, he would look down at his body in hopes of change and see that he was still the same scrawny boy as before, too tall for his age and brown as a groundnut. The only thing that calon could do better then most was the art of deciphering ancient runes, a skill mandatory of all children in his village to learn, but was considered useless due to the fact that the People hadn’t written anything new beyond that of everyday records since the time before even the oldest of the elders were born.

Calon had been so lost in his thoughts, that he had not noticed how close he was to the curious shack of his friend Ruala the Tinker. It was a usual place for him to hide when responsibility reared its ugly head, so he quickly hitched Nicka to a post not too far from a bin of only mildly stagnant water, and took the odd dwelling in for what seemed to be the hundredth time. The house itself was truly the sight to see, spigots from which smoke steadily puffed jutted haphazardly from the walls of the house as if stuck there during a drunken haze. Several plots of plants which types could only be guessed at grew in a circle around the hut and queer wooden structures that sang when the desert winds struck them were stuck in the plots as if put there by the same drunk who had decorated the house, in and around the house lay rusted pieces of Ruala’s failed experiments left there as soon as his interest had been called elsewhere. Calon knew that for the most part, the appearance of the house was a ploy to keep others from bothering Ruala while he did his ‘work sent from the gods’ no one was quite sure how long he had been there, in that desolate stretch of desert sheltered by an outcropping of rocks, it was rumored the he himself was an exiled god and worked so feverishly in the hopes that he would be re-admitted into the lofty halls of heaven, Calon couldn’t help but laugh at the idea of that crazy old man being a god, but kept the idea to himself in case it turned out to be true. Calon stooped to enter the dimly lit front room, his nose wrinkled at the smell of oil and food slowly molding. What immediately drew his attention though were the loud snores of a hunched figure that lay slumped in an armchair, his head thrown back, and mouth wide open. The boy cautiously found his way through the maze of machinery and books over to Ruala and debated on whether he should rouse him from his nap or not. Last time he had tried, he’d been knocked out cold by the sleepers’ surprisingly strong uppercut hoping for the best, he tried to wake him. “Old man, rouse yourself!” he said while cautiously shaking his shoulder. The old man grunted his eyelids flickered, but showed no signs of opening. Calon, growing more annoyed by the moment at the indolence of the old, shook him harder. “I said ROUSE YOURSELF, old man!”

Quick as a flash, Ruala’s left hand struck out at calon and he was fortunate to have dodged, the old man had just tried to gut him like a pig with a fruit knife!

“I take all of you sons of bitches on! Ye worthle-,”

Ruala blinked finally coming back to his senses. “Oh, it’s you calon, what brings you here to an old man’s hut on a day like this? I could have sworn today was your day to become one of the idiotic men of the village.”

He said gruffly as he scratched his bearded chin.Ruala was not only considered odd for his dwelling, but because most people, when they worked up the courage to visit, came away with the feeling that they had just been verbally slapped in the face. He was a surly man by anyone’s standards and pale as moonshine, calon had asked him why he was so different from the People and had been answered with nothing but mumblings about there being no sun in his homeland. It was unthinkable for their to be no such thing as a sun in some places of the world, and calon itched to learn more about the world outside the confines of his village, so he bothered Ruala with every question he could possibly come up with. The deranged old man would simply grunt at some of his queries, but if he was lucky, he would ask a question on a day when the old man felt like talking. Sometimes, he would even be allowed to read from one of the tomes which spoke of fantastic cities that were run by a Council of mages and were home to wonders.

“I don’t want to become a man, plain and simple,”

he cleared a spot for himself on another chair and sat. “I’m no good at the things that they hold stock in, reading and writing are my only talents, but the People have no need for it beyond that of a record-keeper, and that is something I would die before doing.” Calon ran his hands through his long black hair as the bitter feeling of dissatisfaction filled his heart, what was out there for him beyond that of the repetition of the village? Leaving the village by himself would be treacherous, not to mention that the People had not traveled for centuries so every map was seriously out of date. “This place is trapped in a continuous loop Ruala; I would give everything to get away from here before I was sucked into the endless pattern. Unfortunately, the naïve boy had unknowingly walked right into a trap set by the old man, and he smiled wolfishly, as always thankful for the stupidity of the young. “Everything, you say?” Ruala leaned forward steepling his fingers together.

“I could deliver us both from here, you know.” he said smoothly.

Calon leaned closer suddenly excited by the idea of being able to escape this place, to finally see the world outside. “How? Tell me!” Ruala smothered another one of his predators’ smiles and leaned back into the voluminous space of ancient armchair. “I came to these desert valley years before you were born, boy. I planned to stay only for a month to further my research, but it turned out the thing I had come to find had not yet arrived, so I waited.” For some reason, he told his tale in a whisper as if spies waited outside eager to take the tale to one of his enemies. Calon listened intently, not daring to interrupt in case the old man suddenly decided to stop talking again. “And now that I have found what I have sought, I no longer have any need of this valley. But you boy, I do need.” He held up one of his liver-spotted hands, which in the half-light of the hut, seemed more talon then hand. “As you can see, I’m old now and not nearly as strong as I used to be, I will need someone to help me along the way. Are you up for it, boy?”

It was almost like a dream, to finally be given the the offer of freedom after facing the reality of staying in a place that housed little to no change. Although he was tempted to accept the offer immediately, the more logical part of the boys’ brain told him that it would be wise to work out things with his mother first, it would take quite a bit of persuasion for her to let him leave; He was her only son after all. Taking a deep breath, calon turned his thoughts outward and looked into the unfathomable eyes of Ruala. “I need time to work out things here, when will you be needing to leave?”

“A fortnight,” Ruala placidly picked a stray piece of meat from his sharp teeth and eyed the boy . “Will you be ready by then?” Calon said nothing but made his way back to the door of the tinkers’ hut.Turning at the threshold, he simply signed the mark of Ginis, god of beginnings and promises and prepared once more to return to his home, his heart full of excitement and dread at what was to come.

(So there's the first chapter!Feel free to critque and tell me what you think so far, I have the next chapter ready if you would like me to post it. :3)

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 pm
Kaylyn says...

Okay, Here goes the review. I'll start will the bad things first. Then I'll point out the good.

Honestly, this piece didn't catch my attention. It bored me really throughout the whole piece. You need to get a more exciting first few paragraphs, because if I hadn't said I would review it, I'd walk away.

You need to develop your character some more. Whats he like? How does he feel. You need to put more showing in your piece than telling. Humanize your characters in the book more.

Your grammar and punctuation was well not that good. I saaw several words that weren't capiltilized like they should be. Maybe they were typos. But on YWS you need to have good grammar. I saw a few spelling mistakes but they can be fixed. All you need to do about this part is clean it up.

The ending doesn't really leave me wantning to read more, only think, Thankk goodness its over. I tihnk that maybe you should add some more suspense in it to make it better.

You could however have a pretty interesting story here. If you did some editing, I could see some potential. You have some interesting little details that you could stress. If you added some more details then maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Like what do the marks or tatoos look like? Its an interesting topic, but it is a bit cliched. Just make sure that you keep the story your own.

Please don't take this review in a bad way. I am doind indeed what you tell me to do, which was to be brutally honest. I only review stories like this to make it better. I'm sure that with some practice and experience, your writing will get tons better. :) I know that mine did. If you have any questions, or just want to chat, PM me. I'll be happy to help you out. Until then, good luck. Keep writing.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

8 Reviews

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 pm
Dr.Atl says...

Thank you for the review!I actually started writing this during NaNoWriMo, so the grammar and punctuation isn't nearly as good as it could be.I'll keep all of these in mind when I go back in and edit.

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 pm
Adnamarine says...

Calon awoke to the sudden feeling of expectations, it buzzed in the air of the small hut he shared with his mother like a live thing. Twisting and twining around the necks of all who lived there, waiting for them to find out just exactly what it promised.
There are quite a few punctuation issues here. The first sentence is a run-on, and the second is a fragment, with a misplaced modifier. Let me show you what I mean. It should actually be: "Calon awoke to the sudden feeling of expectationperiod It buzzed move this line --> like a live thing here in the air of the small hut he shared with his mother, twisting and twining around did you mean 'their'?-->the necks."

I wanted to start this review by pointing out some of the punctuation errors, because that is essentially what 'punctuates' this piece: errors in punctuation. I understand that while we are writing we don't pay a good deal of attention to that, but you need to edit for basic punctuation and grammar errors before posting something.

Upon his return, he would receive the first in a series of tattoos that would mark him as a true man, but Calon was still but a boy, and an inept one at that. How would he defend himself from ghouls if he could barely lift a scimitar?
"Calon was still a boy." So? According to the story, there is a specific time when boys go to these prophets, so Calon can't be any younger than usual. It sounded more like he was worried about his size, rather than his age. That should be changed.

But in truth lord sun, he thought. that is all I am, a boy.
I think it would be less confusing, if you put his thoughts into italics. I would also capitalize 'lord sun.'

You have an interesting storyline here. But the storyline was all that was interesting. Plot isn't enough to have a captivating story. I found that this story moved slowly, and I wanted to speed through the descriptions. This early in the story, I couldn't interest myself in them, and neither could you.
One small thing that would help somewhat is to break up your very long paragraphs. No matter how interesting the story, any reader is daunted by an too long a paragraph.

Now, I noticed that you jumped from one subject to another rather quickly. You spend a little while on his mother and her emotions, but they have no affect on him or the story. Neither does all the food. If you're going to put in that many details you need to be interesting, consistent, and it has to affect the story. For instance, if his mother's actions made him feel guilty, and perhaps make him reconsider, or almost reconsider, leaving, that would make them more important. Otherwise, they only drag things out. The very first thing we read needs to be filled with action and conflict, conflict that is not completely resolved right away, hence leaving us in suspence (hey, I rhymed!).

Therefore, I would spend less time describing Ruala's house, and more time describing his sinsister appearance. What sinsister appearance, you ask? Well, he doesn't have much of a one yet. Only a predatory smile. Expand on that. Put in a couple metaphors. Predatory smile? What if he has a few physical traits to be compared with a wolf? or a lion?

And what about Calon? You describe him once as tall and skinny, though you keep him mentioning how he's too weak, not manly enough. I'd put a bit more description time on him, and cut out some of his more mediocre actions. Don't spend a lot of time describin Calon and Ruala, but I think those descriptions are more important to the story than houses and even the traditions of... wherever this place is. You spend more space on that than is necessary.

Just a quick run through of those things again. Cut down on the descriptions you have, but add some description of the characters, add more conflict and more action, and leave us in suspense!

There will be time to develope Calon's character more later, I suppose, but he doesn't particularily have much spice now. And, sad but true, I couldn't care less about his predicament. What I would put more emphasis on in this area is what he said about being sucked into the rhythm of things. I might also hint that his feelings stem from Ruala's influence? Since Ruala is apparently such a reble.

Good luck, and I hope I was helpful.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:52 pm
JFW1415 says...

The promised critique!

set up relationships

Right now, I'm confused. What do these people mean to one another? True, you don't have many characters yet, but what about the ones you do have? Does Calon care for his horse or is it just a mode of transportation? Why does he call his mother by her first name? Why is he so rude to the 'old man' – are they friends and he's just joking?

Set up what these characters mean to each other. Show their responses to what is said and done – let us see how they treat each other. If I went downstairs and called my mom Jane, she'd yell at me, which would show the reader that I was just being rude. If you show his mom's nonchalance to being called this, it will show that it is the norm.

and then he was suddenly on his horse

You seem to rush through scenes a lot. At the beginning, he was talking to his mother, then in a matter of just a few sentences he'd eaten breakfast and was galloping away on his horse. A bit fast, no?

You also do it in some other spots. Slow down a bit! Use sensory details and make us feel like we're there with him. Right now you're just reciting events – let us live through them!

check it again and again and again

This story is pretty much a joke for one reason – your grammar and spelling. I don't care if this was for nano. This is a writing site, so treat it like one. Reread your work a million times before you post it. We should only ever have to catch mistakes that were legitimate. This is just laziness.

IT IS RUDE TO SPEAK LIKE THIS!!!

Never, ever, ever use caps in a story. Ever. It is childish and unprofessional, and just shows that you don't know how to make your point any other way than by capitalizing your words. Show his actions, let us hear it. Use details and you won't need the caps.

I only know one word for this item so I'll use it ten times

I'm pretty sure the only time I say this was with 'rouse' and 'old man'. In a matter of about two paragraphs, you used it waaaaay too much. Find new words!

set up your world

This is probably one of the biggest things you need to change. While you, the author, may know exactly what Calon's world is like, I know nothing. Are the people friendly? Does it rain non-stop? Is there a king? Are they poor?

There are so many things to consider when creating a new world. While you should never spell it all out for us, you should show us. Have Calon ride through town and show the people in rags. Have his get caught by the rain and be prepared because it's so normal there. Whatever your world is like, show us!

please don't put me to sleep just yet

Basically, don't bore the reader. Start with something exciting! Try an exercise. Think of about ten scenes that happen either before or around the beginning of your book. Write out a few paragraphs of each. Which hooks your interest the most?

Some things you could start out with…

- Calon and the old man running out of the town
- Calon in town shopping – maybe he gets stopped by somebody?
- Calon going to the old man's house, desperately afraid of his fate.
- Calon sitting at the table while his mom talks to him.
- Calon and his friends the night before.

Just think of anything! Heck, you could even start out with a prologue of when the old man came, before Calon's birth – was the world different then? Was he different then?

An opening scene can tell us so much. Use it to your advantage, because right now, your story doesn't really hook the reader.

PM me for anything at all!

(Er… and ditto what Kaylyn said in her last paragraph.)

~JFW1415

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:44 pm
Juniper says...

Dr.Atl wrote:
(Hey there! June here, and I'm going to be reviewing this for you. Pardon my rusty skills, and I hope I'm not too harsh.)

Calon awoke to the sudden feeling of expectations, it buzzed in the air of the small hut he shared with his mother like a live thing. Twisting and twining around the necks of all who lived there, waiting for them to find out just exactly what it promised. It filled him with a sort of nervous energy that coursed like fire through his veins, making him unable to stay still any longer.Calon hopped from his nest of blankets and sleepily tromped into the front room and was surprised to find that during the night, his mother had prepared a feast fit for a king “Ama, what’s the occasion?” His mother sat a plate piled with food before him and smiled brightly, her plump form shaking with laughter, what was so funny?

“Silly boy,” she responded. “Today is your 15th turn on this earth, the day you begin on the path of becoming a man.” She tearfully patted him on the shoulder and disappeared back into the kitchen to bring out even more delectables.Although she had prepared all of his favorite dishes, he could eat none of it.

(Okay, this is the first time I've heard the expression "feeling of expectations". I completely understand what you mean by it, but the way it's worded seems unnaturally foreign here. It's not a bad thing at all, but your first sentence-- I know it's a NaNo-- seems a bit overdone. Your second sentence seems a little... forced, my dear, so you should try and have things flow gently and smoothly, you know? It's not a bad thing at all, and it happens very very often with NaNo. Believe me, I did it too. So, to be blunt, you should reword this. The first three sentences can have their major points combined into one sentence. Remember to begin dialogue on a new line, my dear.)
Calon had completely forgotten about the day if his blank expression was anything to go by. The day that he would journey out into the desert with nothing but his Lakir, Nicka and the clothes on his back to the place of prophets, there he would receive his true name and guiding spirit. Upon his return, he would receive the first in a series of tattoos that would mark him as a true man, but calon was still but a boy, and an inept one at that. How would he defend himself from ghouls if he could barely lift a scimitar? He’d be ghoul fodder before he was even a mile from the village! He would hate to disappoint his mother, but it would be better if he hid until the time for him to leave for the Place of Prophets was well over. Resolutely, he shoveled down several large gulps of spiced desert fowl and snuck past the hanging curtain that separated the kitchen from the dining room. Quickly, he led Nicka from her pen and led her to the mounting stool. For once, he had no trouble mounting her and then they were off, her bird-like feet flying across the golden brown sands. Calon fancied that the sun beat down with a fierce energy that day, that its pulsing rays chastised the boy from running from the village. But in truth lord sun, he thought. that is all I am, a boy. He didn’t want the responsibilities of a man, nor did he want to one day take a wife, he had no interest in the vapid girls of the village, nor did he have any interest the boys of his village who the adults whispered about in hushed tones. He would never be a warrior of any renown either. Sometimes, he wished that he had the talent of Haruel, or the agility and grace of Anwar, but every time he went to sleep hoping to wake up stronger or more elegant, he would look down at his body in hopes of change and see that he was still the same scrawny boy as before, too tall for his age and brown as a groundnut. The only thing that calon could do better then most was the art of deciphering ancient runes, a skill mandatory of all children in his village to learn, but was considered useless due to the fact that the People hadn’t written anything new beyond that of everyday records since the time before even the oldest of the elders were born.

(Your first sentence here is also a bit awkwardly worded. Again, it's not a bad thing, it's great to just scribble your story down and shave it down, reverse some parts and polish up the final piece later on. It would flow a bit easier if you worded your first sentence something like;

"Judging from Calon's blank expression, he had forgotten all about the events of the day that awaited him..."

This whole quoted paragraph can be separated into at least three smaller paragraphs, so it doesn't look like quite a chore for the reader to read. Remember to capitalize "Calon" since it's a noun.)

Calon had been so lost in his thoughts, that he had not noticed how close he was to the curious shack of his friend(,) Ruala the Tinker. It was a usual place for him to hide when responsibility reared its ugly head, so he quickly hitched (should be tied; hitch implies that you are connecting something to be drawn-- like a carriage or trailer) Nicka to a post not too far from a bin of [s]only[/s] mildly stagnant water, and took the odd dwelling in for what seemed to be the hundredth time. The house itself was truly the sight to see, spigots from which smoke steadily puffed jutted haphazardly from the walls of the house as if stuck there during a drunken haze. Several plots of plants which types could only be guessed at grew in a circle around the hut and queer wooden structures that sang when the desert winds struck them were stuck in the plots as if put there by the same drunk who had decorated the house, in and around the house lay rusted pieces of Ruala’s failed experiments left there as soon as his interest had been called elsewhere. Calon knew that for the most part, the appearance of the house was a ploy to keep others from bothering Ruala while he did his ‘work sent from the gods’(.) (N)no one was quite sure how long he had been there, in that desolate stretch of desert sheltered by an outcropping of rocks, it was rumored the he himself was an exiled god and worked so feverishly in the hopes that he would be re-admitted into the lofty halls of heaven, Calon couldn’t help but laugh at the idea of that crazy old man being a god, but kept the idea to himself in case it turned out to be true. Calon stooped to enter the dimly lit front room, his nose wrinkled at the smell of oil and food slowly molding. What immediately drew his attention though were the loud snores of a hunched figure that lay slumped in an armchair, his head thrown back, and mouth wide open. The boy cautiously found his way through the maze of machinery and books over to Ruala and debated on whether he should rouse him from his nap or not. Last time he had tried, he’d been knocked out cold by the sleepers’ surprisingly strong uppercut hoping for the best, he tried to wake him. “Old man, rouse yourself!” he said while cautiously shaking his shoulder. The old man grunted his eyelids flickered, but showed no signs of opening. Calon, growing more annoyed by the moment at the indolence of the old, shook him harder. “I said ROUSE YOURSELF, old man!”

(Watch your sentence length, dear. You seem to drag a bit too much here. Vary your sentence length; have some long, have some short. It makes the passage easier to read and keeps the reader from becoming confused.)

Quick as a flash, Ruala’s left hand struck out at calon and he was fortunate to have dodged,(Period instead of comma; capital T) the old man had just tried to gut him like a pig with a fruit knife!

“I take all of you sons of bitches on! Ye worthle-,”

Ruala blinked finally coming back to his senses. “Oh, it’s you calon, what brings you here to an old man’s hut on a day like this? I could have sworn today was your day to become one of the idiotic men of the village.”

He said gruffly as he scratched his bearded chin.Ruala was not only considered odd for his dwelling, but because most people, when they worked up the courage to visit, came away with the feeling that they had just been verbally slapped in the face. He was a surly man by anyone’s standards and pale as moonshine, calon had asked him why he was so different from the People and had been answered with nothing but mumblings about there being no sun in his homeland. It was unthinkable for their to be no such thing as a sun in some places of the world, and calon itched to learn more about the world outside the confines of his village, so he bothered Ruala with every question he could possibly come up with. The deranged old man would simply grunt at some of his queries, but if he was lucky, he would ask a question on a day when the old man felt like talking. Sometimes, he would even be allowed to read from one of the tomes which spoke of fantastic cities that were run by a Council of mages and were home to wonders.

(Comma after blinked, capital C in Calon, No break after the quotation mark. Instead, put the break at the next sentence. )
“I don’t want to become a man, plain and simple,”

he cleared a spot for himself on another chair and sat. “I’m no good at the things that they hold stock in, reading and writing are my only talents, but the People have no need for it beyond that of a record-keeper, and that is something I would die before doing.” Calon ran his hands through his long black hair as the bitter feeling of dissatisfaction filled his heart, what was out there for him beyond that of the repetition of the village? Leaving the village by himself would be treacherous, not to mention that the People had not traveled for centuries so every map was seriously out of date. “This place is trapped in a continuous loop Ruala; I would give everything to get away from here before I was sucked into the endless pattern. Unfortunately, the naïve boy had unknowingly walked right into a trap set by the old man, and he smiled wolfishly, as always thankful for the stupidity of the young. “Everything, you say?” Ruala leaned forward steepling his fingers together.

“I could deliver us both from here, you know.” he said smoothly.

Watch where you place your line breaks, my dear. When staging, you don't need to have a break. Here's the difference;

"I don't want to become a man, plain and simple," Calon said.

and

"I don't want to become a man, plain and simple,"

Calon said.

Have it all on one line, like I demonstrated in the first, dear :).

Calon leaned closer suddenly excited by the idea of being able to escape this place, to finally see the world outside. “How? Tell me!” Ruala smothered another one of his predators’ smiles and leaned back into the voluminous space of ancient armchair. “I came to these desert valley years before you were born, boy. I planned to stay only for a month to further my research, but it turned out the thing I had come to find had not yet arrived, so I waited.” For some reason, he told his tale in a whisper as if spies waited outside eager to take the tale to one of his enemies. Calon listened intently, not daring to interrupt in case the old man suddenly decided to stop talking again. “And now that I have found what I have sought, I no longer have any need of this valley. But you boy, I do need.” He held up one of his liver-spotted hands, which in the half-light of the hut, seemed more talon then hand. “As you can see, I’m old now and not nearly as strong as I used to be, I will need someone to help me along the way. Are you up for it, boy?”

Start your dialog on a fresh line, dear.

It was almost like a dream, to finally be given the the offer of freedom after facing the reality of staying in a place that housed little to no change. Although he was tempted to accept the offer immediately, the more logical part of the boys’ brain told him that it would be wise to work out things with his mother first, it would take quite a bit of persuasion for her to let him leave; He was her only son after all. Taking a deep breath, calon turned his thoughts outward and looked into the unfathomable eyes of Ruala. “I need time to work out things here, when will you be needing to leave?”

“A fortnight,” Ruala placidly picked a stray piece of meat from his sharp teeth and eyed the boy . “Will you be ready by then?” Calon said nothing but made his way back to the door of the tinkers’ hut.Turning at the threshold, he simply signed the mark of Ginis, god of beginnings and promises and prepared once more to return to his home, his heart full of excitement and dread at what was to come.

(Break up some of these sentences, my dear! You can make this so much more interesting simply by varying the sentence length.)

(So there's the first chapter!Feel free to critque and tell me what you think so far, I have the next chapter ready if you would like me to post it. :3)

Very good, Dr.! I liked it alot; you captured my interest at the beginning, and kept it throughout the story. I don't know why, but I am really eager for the next part.

The names are unique and interesting, and I can tell from the little bit I read about Calon, that he is very adventurous and slightly mischievous, and that gives this story a bit of excitement.

Remember to pay attention to:

Capitalization: The names of Nouns (Person, place, or thing) always need to be capitalized.

Sentence length: Vary the length of your sentences; it sometimes bores readers if all of the sentences are the same length. Some compound sentences and some simple sentences are great.

Dialog: You should always begin dialog on a new line, and place a comma before the closing quotation mark. Here's an example;

The dog lay on the porch as Marie stroked his fur.

"He's a nice dog," Marie said, "he looks big, but he is gentle."

Paragraph length: Break up your paragraphs a bit! When a new idea is brought in it calls for a new paragraph, my dear.

Overall, an exciting start for a story. I can't wait to read more; please PM me or post in my review thread when you have the next part.

I hope I wasn't too harsh :D

Great job!

xxJune
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

8 Reviews

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:42 pm
Dr.Atl says...

No, thorough critique is what I wanted and needed. I may start this back up again, but it feels as if it has been done before. There are so many adventure fantasy type things, that this one just feels like a blip on the radar.

Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy