Young Writers Society

*Title*

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:00 am
View Likes
wonderland says...

Spoiler! :
Reading this is SO IMPORTANT. Can't even stress it! So, seriously, tear this one to shreds. I wrote this for a University application, and I need to get into university. Also. No matter how short you feel this is, pleasepleasepleaseprettyplease do not tell me to make it longer. My word limit was 1000 words. This is currently 999. I have a room of one word. Other then that, though, go for it!
~Wonderland

It was weird, to say the least. I walked by the sniffling girls, and my sobbing grandmother. I laid a hand on my twin brother’s shoulder, who was silent and moody. I knew what he was thinking. It should have been him, instead of me, or better, neither of us. My mother sat next to him, a tear streaming down her face. She wore the lace gloves I had begged so many times to borrow. She stared into space, and my father rubbed his hand on her back in slow, smooth circles. She shook him off.

The priest stood in front of the solid oak coffin, lid closed. I stared at it, knowing I was in there. I shivered. The priest looked around pausing his speech.

“I’d like to call up Tyler Woodridge.” He said. My brother stood up, and unfolded a little card from his suit pocket. I had never seen him looking so…tidy. His hair was swept from his Tiffany box blue eyes and his face was scrubbed clean. I remembered forcing him on to chairs to make sure his face was clean for different events.

“Compared to me, my sister was always more reckless. Amara never thought twice about anything, and always seemed to go with the flow. Sometimes she’d even bribe me to join her in those crazy schemes of hers, and we’d usually end up okay.” I scoffed. My plans were always flawless.

“Although she was crazy, though, Amara was always kind and sweet. A little forceful, like she had to make you love her,” a little laugh rang from my best friend, Jules. She was no doubt remembering how I trailed after her for a week in kindergarten, making her become my closest friend, “I’ve gotten through a lot with Amara, and she was always there, always that one constant thing that changed on a daily basis. I was lucky to have a twin, and doubly lucky to have Amara as a sister.” I smiled at this. Tyler and I had suffered through years of arguing, and eventually our parents’ divorce. I hid his bad marks, and he lied about were I was on late Saturday nights. I kept his secrets, and he kept mine. It was the way we worked.

“I could tell her anything, and she’d keep it. Amara was my favorite, and I’m sad to see her go.” He stared at my father for a moment, a dark look in his eyes. Tyler looked back at his card, crumpling it up, muttered a thank you, and left the stage. He glanced at my coffin, at the gleaming brown wood, and frowned slightly. The priest announced a short break, and everyone got p to catch some air.

My mother, father and brother remained in the church. My mother was nonresponsive, but my father stared at Tyler.

“Why did you stop?” he asked. Tyler looked away.

“I was finished.” He said simply, pushing his sleeves up. My father frowned. He was displeased. Tyler had lied.

“I was gonna say how you killed her.” Tyler said, “then I decided that that wouldn’t be acceptable.”

“Your also be lying.” My father said tersely. Tyler stared into his eyes. They were different. My father had always been quick to lose his temper, automatically assuming the worst in everyone. Tyler, however, believed that everyone was a lover, and was always frighteningly calm. The mix of their personalities led to early morning fights about how Tyler should ‘man up’, when they thought my mother and I were asleep, and couldn’t hear.

“I wouldn’t be.” Tyler said. He stood up, crossing his arms. My father stood up as well, and they faced off in a scene that I had imganied but never seen.

“Stop it.” My father growled. Tyler just shrugged it off.

“You know it was your fault.” Tyler said. “if you didn’t make her hate you, she wouldn’t have left that night.” I winced, but it was true. I remember having a full blown argument about my current boyfriend, and how he was a bad influence. I remember grabbing a sweater, my car keys and wallet and taking my parents car, driving away with him still yelling at the car that zoomed away.

“Stop it.” My father repeated. He stood up and moved closer to Tyler, who stood his ground.

“It’s true,” Tyler taunted. He could see the rage in our father’s eyes, but it didn’t scare him. Our father slapped him across the cheek with harsh ringing sound. Our father shoved him backwards, so he fell backwards. I winced. I could remember our father getting violent, with both me and my brother, after he found out his grades, or my whereabouts, or any one, simple lie.

My mother finally snapped back into reality. She turned around to see Tyler on the ground, and my father pushing up the sleeves of his suit jacket.

“Jonathan, don’t. Really, Jon. Now isn’t the time.” She said, but her voice was empty and lacked valor. My father punched Tyler again and his lip split and bled.

“Jon…” my mother called again. I forced myself to look away. I had always heard it, in the late or early hours when they assumed I was asleep. I had never seen it. I had seen the aftermath, took care of the welts and bruises that covered my brother. And I couldn’t do that anymore. I could only sit and watch.

“It wasn’t her you hated.” Tyler said, “you know it. It was me, always me.” I bit my tongue. My mother got up, and tried to pull her ex-husband away. She got thrown back as well. Tyler gritted his teeth against his fathers assaults. He had bared worse, and we both knew it.

“Shut up, right now.” Our father growled. My stomach curled as he hit Tyler again. My brother inhaled and exhaled deeply, as if that could help him ignore what was going on.

“You’re just angry because I loved her.”
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello there, wonderland. :)

Okay. I know how this story means a lot for your university application, and so I'm here to do as best as I can to help you in some places where you need improvement and to also give an honest opinion of mine.

It was weird, to say the least. I walked by the sniffling girls, and my sobbing grandmother. I laid a hand on my twin brother’s shoulder, who was silent and moody. I knew what he was thinking. It should have been him, instead of me, or better, neither of us. My mother sat next to him, a tear streaming down her face. She wore the lace gloves I had begged so many times to borrow. She stared into space, and my father rubbed his hand on her back in slow, smooth circles. She shook him off.

Hmm. This could have been better if you have portrayed the funeral scene well. I don't mean the place itself but the people involved here. First off, your protagonist speaks of someone dead- that particular part there confuses me since your MC is gradually more concerned towards the people crying over her death rather than being more surprised to know that she is a ghost. It wouldn't be weird to me, but totally frightening.

The priest stood in front of the solid oak coffin, lid closed. I stared at it, knowing I was in there. I shivered. The priest looked around pausing his speech.

The adjectives highlighted above weren't necessary in the story as far as I could tell- since you are just basically stating the obvious.

Secondly, one of your weaknesses is your punctuation.

“I’d like to call up Tyler Woodridge," he said.

Edited the dialog. Just so remember that when you have a speech tag followed after a dialog- use a comma, not a period. Why, you ask? Let's look at one of your sentences.

“I was finished.” He said simply, pushing his sleeves up.

There are periods to separate thoughts, but in this case- it shouldn't be use.Using a comma connects the dialog to its speech tag.

“Your also be lying.” My father said tersely.

"You're also lying?" or "You would be also lying?"

frighteningly calm.

I don't know how you describe this. The descriptions contradicts each other.

Third. The main character is kind if a laid-back type of girl. I don't know- the fact that she is a ghost doesn't seem to surprise her. Wouldn't she even question herself for that? Because of it, the story lacked realism in terms of information and narration. Especially that the story is set on First person- shouldn't there be more thoughts and emotions shown in the story? Generally, it feels empty. Sure you have a good conflict between the main character, her twin and her father- but it fell a little but uninteresting as to how the story ran and finished. Although I can say there was a nice twist at the end of the story- but I couldn't really pinpoint the reason that it was like that. Perhaps, as a reader, the father was jealous of Tyler? and because the father likes Amara? I couldn't really tell since there was one thing on my mind that was pretty baffled. Perhaps because of the father's different intimacy towards Amara? I'm literally scratching my head right now. haha As far as I could see, the conflict of the story looks just like scattered puzzles.

All in all, what you're offering right now can be much more improved. Just try to turn on the windshield so your passengers can see pretty clearly the place you're taking them. And also picture out the scene and deliver your main character's thoughts very well- and as with the conflict, make it more vivid. Until now- of which I will be honest- I'm still confused. Try rereading your story. Also check on your grammatical errors- they tend to disturb the story flow.

I hope that in some little ways, I have helped this story to improve. As I have said before, reread your story and carefully be wary of the mistakes that is present in here. And I apologize if you see this review vague or unclear since it has been weeks since I have reviewed last. Let me know if you have any questions.

Keep writing,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:08 pm
Demeter says...

Hey Wicked!

So, since this is for your uni application, I'm going to be extra nitpicky. But I believe that is what you want!

“I’d like to call up Tyler Woodridge.” He said.

As Yuri already pointed out, the punctuation is off. Here's an article that I wrote especially about punctuation in dialogue - I hope it'll help. There were quite a lot of mistakes like this in this story.

his Tiffany box blue eyes

This is a very nice piece of description. I'm sure that whoever's reading this at the university's end will remember this one.

“Although she was crazy, though, Amara was always kind and sweet. A little forceful, like she had to make you love her,” a little laugh rang from my best friend, Jules. She was no doubt remembering how I trailed after her for a week in kindergarten, making her become my closest friend, “I’ve gotten through a lot with Amara, and she was always there, always that one constant thing that changed on a daily basis. I was lucky to have a twin, and doubly lucky to have Amara as a sister.” I smiled at this. Tyler and I had suffered through years of arguing, and eventually our parents’ divorce.

In this paragraph, I was confused about who was speaking. Even though it's the brother, the way you've punctuated this makes it seem like it was Jules. You should make the Jules sentence between the speech parts its own sentence, and even better, its own paragraph.

I hid his bad marks, and he lied about were I was on late Saturday nights.

"Marks" made me think of something like scars at first, so maybe replace it with grades? You talk about grades later on, so it'd be more consistent anyway. And "were" should be "where".

He stared at my father for a moment, a dark look in his eyes.

Whose? The brother's or the father's?

The priest announced a short break, and everyone got up to catch some air.

My father frowned. He was displeased. Tyler had lied.

All these short sentences together come across as rather choppy.

“Your also be lying.”

*You'd?

Tyler, however, believed that everyone was a lover, and was always frighteningly calm.

A "lover" sounds a little odd - I get what you mean, but is it the best word to use here?

My father stood up as well, and they faced off in a scene that I had imganied but never seen.

*imagined

I remember grabbing a sweater, my car keys and wallet and taking my parents car, driving away with him still yelling at the car that zoomed away.

*parents'

Our father slapped him across the cheek with harsh ringing sound. Our father shoved him backwards, so he fell backwards.

How does slapping make a ringing sound? Also, I think "so he fell backwards" is redundant and you could do away with it.

At first I was going to complain about the repetition of "our father", but then it dawned on me that you could be doing that on purpose? I mean, it could be a clever reference to "Our Father, who art in Heaven", and it'd be interesting because the narrator's father is nothing like the good loving father God is usually seen as. I don't know whether you were thinking of this, and I'm not a university application judge, but it seems like something they might appreciate. xD If you weren't going to do this, then never mind, but if you'd like to give it a try, you could try making it more noticeable, rather than something that might have been just an accident.

“Jonathan, don’t. Really, Jon. Now isn’t the time.”

This seems a bit odd for a mother to say -- almost sounds like she was saying "don't punch him now, save that for later".

My mother got up, and tried to pull her ex-husband away.

This is an interesting touch, but really this isn't the right place to reveal it, in my opinion. Not in the middle of the action.

Tyler gritted his teeth against his fathers assaults.

*father's

“You’re just angry because I loved her.”

Tyler says this, right? This is where the story ends, so it must be important. However, it left me confused. Why is it important? Why is this so dramatic it deserves to end the story? Am I supposed to think he didn't love her as siblings love each other, because that's what it almost sounds like?

So, as far as I'm concerned, this is a story about a brother who has lost his sister. The sister is dead, but she's still on Earth narrating these happenings. The whole "ghost" aspect seemed almost excessive, though, since so little of the story actually focused on the girl. To me, it seemed like Tyler was the MC and the narrator was just a supporting character, even though considering her ghostness she should play a much bigger role in my opinion.

I wish I could come up with something else to say, because this is such an important story for you, but unfortunately I've got nothing else. I'll let you know if something comes to my mind!

Best of luck! :)

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg