z

Young Writers Society

Hate = Love

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:34 pm
Nike says...

Here's a surprise to most of you. At first they are complete opposites, that's what you think. Just because they are different doesn't mean they aren't the same.

You can get confused between which was is what you truly feel.

Hate

Love

Two completly opposite emotions. But yet, they are the same exact feeling.

Your heart paces. Breathing increases. Eyes get wide. You can barely breathe. A shiver crawls through your body. You get hot. You can't stop thinking of that person.

Same result when you hate someone as when you love someone. The only difference is that when you think of them you either want to kill them or kiss them.

it's still the same thing. They're opposites. But they're the same. Alike, really. You just got to know the difference.

I think you'll be albe to detect it. Just don't confuse them or you'll be screwed.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hello.

I think would do better as an opinion piece, maybe fleshed out into a full essay, instead of a story like this.

To critique it as an argument, I'm not buying it. Physical reactions are not the same as mental reactions, and because of how different the two emotions are (which you admit) it's difficult to see how they can overlap based on physical reactions alone. Come up with some examples for how you can confuse the two. Show us how one can progress to the other in a logical fashion. No need to make it into a story if you're going to keep it as an opinion piece. Simply persuade us to your line of thinking.

Persuasion is required because of how radical the argument looks on its surface. Most people will dismiss it for being radical right off the start. Unless you give us arguments to change our minds that hate and love are opposite, then we will continue to dismiss this argument.

If you want to turn this into a story, then go through the story process. Create a character, situation, and emotional progression from hate to love, love to hate, somebody mistaking one for the other, or somebody feeling both at once. This article could help you keep the story short, if you don't want it to become a novella/novel.

Overall, make this stronger. Right now, it's your opinion with no reason to believe it. Give us reasons, and/or take us through an emotional journey. These are not mutually exclusive to essays or stories.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions/comments.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 pm
Elinor says...

Hi, Nike!

So, I'm going to have to agree with Rosey. This piece didn't do anything for me. I definitely think that you could flesh this out into either a short story or an essay; this idea has potential to be strong in both mediums. Right now, it's bare, and really too short to make an impact. Right now, it's too short; you are basically putting to writing an observation to writing. My reaction: "Cool, I guess?" It's not convincing.

If you want to make this stronger, first, you have to decide how you want to present your argument. Then you should do some research so you can come up with facts to support your argument and make it stronger. If you're going to make this into essay, it would probably be a good idea to include some statistics. This way, you'll be able to convince your readers to go along your idea, listen to rationale for your argument, and even if they don't agree, see where you are coming from.

If you want to develop it like a story, do what Rosey said-- go through the process. Show everything through the eyes of the characters and use their lives as representation for what you are trying to say.

I hope this helps you! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug