z

Young Writers Society

The Present

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:30 am
Soulkana says...

I stare down at the small rectangular device in my hand with a blank face. How on Escha do I use this, what did Yuzura call it? Cell phone? I continue to glare at it in hopes of finding out its secrets by my look alone. Before I could actually make any progress I hear my leader shouting for me. Sighing slightly I rush off to the training grounds. The phone now forgotten I pull out my sword just as Kiega shouts, “Figure it out yet, Raron?”
I sigh internally but calmly state, “No, but I will sooner or later.”
The younger girl simply smiles before rushing after our leader. I couldn’t help but smile as I watch one of the members lunge for me and with a quick side step I allow my mind to wander back to the week before when Yuzura had presented her present to me during Yule.
“Ano, big brother?” Yuzura calls out from behind me as I shift through various books in the library.
“Hnn?” My short reply encourages her to step forward and almost immediately I could see the nervousness in her eyes as she holds her hands behind her back. Intrigued by what she had I turn my focus from our books as she shyly hands over a wrapped present.
“I thought that since you’re leaving tomorrow that I should give you your gift now.” She looks away as I carefully take hold of the box.
“You did this despite knowing grandfather would not allow it?” I felt touched that she risked our grandfather’s rage just to do this. Her slightly wince and sudden pale face assured my assumption he clearly did not allow this.
“What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.” The flat retort makes me laugh while she gestures almost impatiently at the box.
Peeling away the tape I ask her calmly, “Are you sure will be alright with going to Academy on your own?” I knew she would be able to protect herself yet I couldn’t help but worry how she’d take my month long absence.
“I’ll be fine, big brother.” Deep blue eyes watch excitedly as I finally lift the gift from the wrapping.
Not responding to that I peer at the box in confusion. The label leaves me more out of place as I glance at her in question.
“It’s a cell phone.” She explains, pulling one similar in red. “It will make it easier for you to contact me.”
I smile slightly at her. With a rare show of affection I pull her in a hug whispering,”Be careful of grandfather.”

I put my sword down as the soul before me begins to fade. Just as I turn to leave a buzzing sound from the phone almost stops my heart. Pulling it out I watch as Kiega takes it from me and flips it open with a smirk in my direction.
“Here.” She grins while shoving the phone in my hand.
I stare at the screen in surprise. On the tiny screen I could see my sister’s name. Moving out of the light I read her message with faint relief.
Hi big brother how are you?
With a uncharacteristic grin I struggle for several minutes on figuring out how to reply before sending it. Just maybe I could get used to this gift. Now satisfied that Yuzura would be alright I leave the clearing as once more my leader’s voice echoes the grounds.
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

94 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 94
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:16 am
TheEstimableEelz says...

This was cute, I guess. I'm going to assume you have not yet had the time to proofread.
When you do, be on the look-out for missing commas - your sentences feel as though the characters are speaking without needing to breathe..
And you mix many tenses within paragraphs, sentences even; that confuses the reader and kills clarity, so pick a tense or two and stick to those (and just to one within sentences).

Like I said before, it's cute and the characters seem likable, albeit flat (although that's not unusual from a draft of this length, haha). If you want to make more of it, this can be a very entertaining story, I am sure. Already I am interested in the character of the grandfather, for instance. So, edit, edit again, and keep writing! :3
Formerly 'ilyaeelz.' Others experiment with drugs. I experiment with punctuation and grammar.

"Research your own experiences for the truth, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore