z

Young Writers Society

Beauty's Beholder

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 pm
AylaStarr says...

She’s a beautiful thing, The Lady.

She grabs me, and suddenly I’m screaming. Higher, higher, jumping off a tree, landing in a pile of clouds. Have I always screamed this loud?

Round and round and round, I have no idea where up is. Everything’s nothing and nothing is everything. And me? I am the epitome of everything and nothingness living in euphoria.

Scream.

I’m still screaming, but not aloud.

The grass below me is itchy. I scratch, but the itch doesn’t go away.

Itch, itch, itch. Scratch, scratch, scratch. Is that a bug on my arm? And is it raining?

I feel my face, and realize I’m crying. When did I start crying? Am I even sad? At first, I’m not sure how I feel. Then, I turn onto my back, and start wailing. Loud, breaking sobs, snot running out my nose, and the feeling of a thousand shards falling onto me, into me.

Isn’t crying another way to scream?

“You’re really fucked up.”

I look up. Brown eyes, skin tinted with Native American roots, and a slouching posture. I wonder for a second if he’s real.

“Are you Jesus?” I ask.

He sits next to me. “Nah, Noah. You know. The guy with the ark?”

“I’ve heard of him.” My voice is hoarse, soft. Hair falls into my eyes, but I don’t feel like brushing it away. Noah does it for me.

“Did you know Jesus?”

“Mmhmm.” His fingers play with my hair. I lay on his shoulder.

“Did you talk to him?”

“Plenty of times.”

“What’d he say?” I feel drunk, but I know I’m not.

“He said you’re really, really fucked up.”

My heart. It hurts like hell. “I…I’m sorry.” My voice breaks again. It’s all I can say.

It’s one a.m. when I realize I need her again. I crave her sweetness, her love. Her disease.

Like a divine goddess, she comes out decked in white, and together we dance. Faster and faster, until I fall down with laughter and a hurting chest.

I wonder briefly if she speaks French. I’ve always loved French.

“Speak to me!” I command.

No one answers. I go to the oak tree and climb. “Fucking speak to me!” I shout.

Nothing.

I jump down, and run. Run to where I’m not alone.

I’m not alone, but I’m alone.

Noah’s on the other side of the window. I keep hitting the glass, shouting at him to let me in, please let me in, but he just looks at me. Or maybe through me.

My head is hurting, and I just want to be where Noah is. I hit the glass again, and scream. Scream until my voice is nearly gone. It starts to rain, just a little bit.

He just stares, and The Lady keeps dancing.

It’s pouring when he finally opens the window.

“Shit,” he mutters.

I’m wet and crying and dizzy as he pulls me inside.

“Fucking shit.” He runs to get me a towel. I stand still, tears and water streaming down my face. I wonder where The Lady went.

Noah runs back, slipping on a puddle of water, and wraps a towel around me. I realize I’m shivering.

“Fucking dumbass shit,” he whispers. He pulls me close. I know I’m messing up his shirt. “What the fuck is wrong with you?”

I want to answer him—I want to tell him everything. How everything’s falling apart. How I’m one failing grade away from flunking. How I broke a mirror. How I still feel semen inside of me. How I can’t let go of The Lady. But I say nothing, and let the hole in my chest grow larger.

I cling to him tightly and cry.

Cry until The Lady stops dancing.

I’m sorry, I keep saying. Over and over again, I say it into his bare shoulder.

We’re getting tangled in his blankets—deeper and deeper—legs overlapping and arms twisting. Twisting, twisted, twisting, twist. I open myself to him. He delves deeper.

Sweating, his forehead touches mine. “Never again, okay?” His voice is breathy, soft. “Please don’t do it again.”

He pushes hard, and I cry out. I wrap myself around him. He wraps around me. We are one. I wonder if The Lady is jealous. At this moment, I don’t need her. I wonder if I ever did.

More and more, I cling to Noah.

“Never again…” I say.

A promise has been made.

He’s a beautiful thing.

He grabs me, and suddenly I’m laughing. I don’t know why, or how, but it erupts from me like a fountain, bubbling over. Have I always laughed this loud?

Round and round, we spin. Up, down, left, right—it all collides until it becomes a mesh that equals both nothing and everything.

A part of me craves The Lady. Her happiness. Another part wishes I’d never met her. I know I can’t take the years back. Chances are, I’ll see her again soon.

But I know for today, I’ll just keep spinning.

Spinning until I fall from something that feels like happiness.

...This is what insomnia does to me.

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office