z

Young Writers Society

Euthanasia.

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:45 pm
MischiefManaged says...

Spoiler! :
Ugh, just ugh. This has been in my head for days now and this is NOT how I planned for it to turn out. Nonetheless, this goes for Maimoona. <3

It is the kind of preconceived notion that tells you hot showers are the best thing in the world every time you have a cold shower. Death makes life look pretty; life looks good when you're dying.
Tonight it's one of those chilly nights with the moon very high, very bright. I'm sitting next to her, watching the small crystal elephant diffract the moonlight in different directions into different colors. Colors that define our memories together.

I remember when we would race, I'd let her win because I loved her.
I remember her tearing my homework apart because I lost her doll.
I remember her stealing my chocolate bar from the refrigerator.
I also remember her crying all night because dad had beaten me up when I broke our window.
She wakes up with a start, her temple throbbing, third night in a row. It was almost like she didn't like me being here. I hated seeing her like this. I hated doing this to her. But I don't want to leave her either, because what am I without her? Without the smile she gave me every time I was down, the smile that said "Life's nothing short of beautiful."

---------------------------------------

"Muffins?" she asked.
I smiled.

"Muffins don't take pain away, honey."
She came here every day since I was diagnosed, even though hospitals annoyed her.

"You know when you're alive, you keep thinking life's a monotonous son of a bitch. Same dream every day, same misery over and over again. I'm kinda glad it's almost over for me."
She kept looking at me, all too used to the words.
"You'd be surprised to know just how many people don't want to live what they're living. We're all miserable, Deb. We're all sobs. Once or the other, we've all wanted to die, we've all wished it was over."

"Here's the funny thing, though. When you're on your deathbed, you'll feel fucking everything but relief. You want one more shot, one more life to deal with. But it's alright for me. No, it really is. Because me, I'm done. You live, you learn, you die. I've learnt enough and I'm a very happy son of a bitch."

You live, you learn, you die.

I looked at her again and my whole world fell apart like it always does every time I see her crying.

"I just wish I'd have another chance to stand next to you while it rains, though. Remember the last time we did that, Deb? We got drenched to the bone and mom wouldn't stop shouting at us. Good times, weren't they? I love rain, Deb. I love you. It just feels like it drains your pain away, your etches, your marks from past sins, all your guilt, all your shame. And … and goddamn, the way your heart pounds against your chest, the way you just want to scream out loud from the emptiness inside. Sometimes you realize things you never realized before and sometimes, you just want to sit there all day long wishing it rained forever and harder."

Then there was silence. The calm before the storm. And it was deafening, it was deadly like the storm itself, it was swallowing the both of us till we were nothing but mere specks of dust.
"You're pulling the plug if it gets worse."

She placed her hand on mine.

"No, Deb, you're doing it. I'm not going to live like that."

----------------------------------------

That was five long weeks ago. Now there's me torn, between me and my corpse. The corpse that floats bare on the lake's dead still waters, robbed of everything. The only surrounding noise was the beep of the life support. Electricity; bustling electrons brushing past each other with their pact of trapping me somewhere between life and death, somewhere between being and not being. I wish they'd just leave me be.

Today, as if in stark contrast to the previous night, is one of those very sunny days. The clouds drifted apart to let the sunlight break through. Somehow sad, yet beautiful, promising of a new day.
She came in -- looking as though her insides were at war, as though they were ripping themselves apart to ease the pain, to survive -- and she pulled the plug

Spoiler! :
Thanks for reading.
Last edited by MischiefManaged on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:14 am
View Likes
Paracosm says...

Great job! This going to go somewhere great! Maybe you could have her put under investigation for murder, that would be exciting. Would she run and hide, or try and make a case for herself? This story was very interesting, I hope you right more about it. I loved the characters as well! This is all I noticed:

"You'd be surprised to know just how many people don't want to live what they're living. We're all miserable, Deb. We're all sobs. *Once or the other, we've all wanted to die, we've all wished it was over."
I didn't understand the last sentence of this paragraph, I think you meant "One time or another, we've all wanted to die, we've all wished it was over."

"I just wish I'd have another chance to stand next to you while it rains, though. Remember the last time we did that, Deb? We got drenched to the bone and mom wouldn't stop shouting at us. Good times, weren't they? I love rain, Deb. I love you. It just feels like it drains your pain away, your etches, your marks from past sins, all your guilt, all your shame. And %u2026 and goddamn, the way your heart pounds against your chest, the way you just want to scream out loud from the emptiness inside. Sometimes you realize things you never realized before and sometimes, you just want to sit there all day long wishing it rained forever and harder."
This is quite a large chunk of dialogue, which is okay, but it may be more effective if you split it up a bit, maybe tell us how your character is saying this stuff. Is he sobbing? Maybe he's mad? It also might be good for you to throw in a bit of body language. For instance, is he wincing in pain from his affliction? Is his breathing labored? Make us feel like he feels like he's dying!

Today, as if in *strict contrast to the previous night, is one of those very sunny days. The clouds drifted apart to let the sunlight break through. Somehow sad, yet beautiful, promising of a new day.
Did you mean stark? Either way though, it's the same meaning I guess! Both make sense!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:14 am
Paracosm says...

Great job! This going to go somewhere great! Maybe you could have her put under investigation for murder, that would be exciting. Would she run and hide, or try and make a case for herself? This story was very interesting, I hope you right more about it. I loved the characters as well! This is all I noticed:

"You'd be surprised to know just how many people don't want to live what they're living. We're all miserable, Deb. We're all sobs. *Once or the other, we've all wanted to die, we've all wished it was over."
I didn't understand the last sentence of this paragraph, I think you meant "One time or another, we've all wanted to die, we've all wished it was over."

"I just wish I'd have another chance to stand next to you while it rains, though. Remember the last time we did that, Deb? We got drenched to the bone and mom wouldn't stop shouting at us. Good times, weren't they? I love rain, Deb. I love you. It just feels like it drains your pain away, your etches, your marks from past sins, all your guilt, all your shame. And %u2026 and goddamn, the way your heart pounds against your chest, the way you just want to scream out loud from the emptiness inside. Sometimes you realize things you never realized before and sometimes, you just want to sit there all day long wishing it rained forever and harder."
This is quite a large chunk of dialogue, which is okay, but it may be more effective if you split it up a bit, maybe tell us how your character is saying this stuff. Is he sobbing? Maybe he's mad? It also might be good for you to throw in a bit of body language. For instance, is he wincing in pain from his affliction? Is his breathing labored? Make us feel like he feels like he's dying!

Today, as if in *strict contrast to the previous night, is one of those very sunny days. The clouds drifted apart to let the sunlight break through. Somehow sad, yet beautiful, promising of a new day.
Did you mean stark? Either way though, it's the same meaning I guess! Both make sense!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:14 pm
View Likes
Fatima says...

lolz, this is not a reiview at all, just a reminder to let you know..
1)how much i love reading your work <3
2) how much i love you, sweetheart O.o:P

from now on, i'll give you my plots, and you can write them:D.
but CUTS had more of you, i don't you, more of your usual writing style. i mean, Euthanasia was good, awesome actually, but seemed to lack the "samumph" slendor.

or maybe, being your bestie, i am expecting too much O.o.

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:02 am
View Likes
crescent says...

I like how this story was written with some final thoughts from the MC in the beginning and the short but impacting plot-line. However there were two things that confused me.
1) In your prologue thing at the beginning, you write:
I also remember her crying all night because dad had beaten me up when I broke our window.
This led me to believe that Debra is the MC's sister.
However, you go on to say in your dialogue:
I love rain, Deb. I love you. It just feels like it drains your pain away, your etches, your marks from past sins, all your guilt, all your shame.
The "I love you's" and other lovey language led me to believe that perhaps they were something more than just siblings.
Their relationship was a bit confusing for me.

2) In the non-italicized prose, the dialogue was also unclear to me. The way you have formatted and inserted quotes makes it seem as if two people are having a conversation when it's really just the MC speaking to Debra, correct? When you write dialogue in which there are more than one paragraph of text, you place the quotes like this.
"paragraph 1
"Paragraph 2
"Paragraph 3.... etc.
Last paragraph"

Even though this story didn't turn out like how you had originally anticipated, I think it still turned out pretty good. There were some parts I found confusing, but your storyline is just so incredibly powerful. Happy Writing!

-Crescent
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:16 pm
View Likes
rememberme says...

I thought this was good, not as terrific as some of your other work, but none the less, good. I like the story line, even though at times it felt rushed. You should have been more direct about his illness and at least given his name. The auidence wants to connect to the main character, it's hard to do when you know so little about him. You should have shown more of the sisters personality, obviously he's the oldest, but how old is she when he passes? How does she deal with it? What is he dying from? Why is he so eager to go? If you added more, this would be nothing short of amazing. I'm sure of it.

Reviews: 1
Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:40 am
tossy says...

:O so sad.

Reviews: 4
Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:53 pm
SyedaFariha says...

Well written! :mrgreen:

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm
TheGuiltyOne says...

I LOVE every discussion related to this topic and this is an amazing work (Y)!

I just wish I'd have another chance to stand next to you while it rains, though. Remember the last time we did that, Deb? We got drenched to the bone and mom wouldn't stop shouting at us. Good times, weren't they? I love rain, Deb. I love you. It just feels like it drains your pain away, your etches, your marks from past sins, all your guilt, all your shame. And … and goddamn, the way your heart pounds against your chest, the way you just want to scream out loud from the emptiness inside. Sometimes you realize things you never realized before and sometimes, you just want to sit there all day long wishing it rained forever and harder

But, I think the emotions are flowing a bit too much here. As though, you are trying too hard to express it. Just a thought.
Otherwise, this was a kickass :D

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena