z

Young Writers Society

The Killing of the King

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 am
View Likes
creativityrules says...

Sunlight pooled in his proud eyes as he gazed down at his world. It was, after all, his. He was no mere bird like a lowly sparrow or one of those detestable scavengers, the vultures. He was an eagle, the king of all birds, the ruler of the mountains, and he knew it. He knew it well.

His palace was the envy of the lowly creatures, and they hated him for his possession of it. He lived in a skeleton-tree atop the tallest mountain, perched on the highest branch, eternally watchful. Perhaps the reason the lowly ones hated him so fervently lay in the reality that he had something they could never attain. He was always above them, both in body and in spirit. While they needed the warmth of the lower lands to survive, he thrived on the cold, thin air of the high places.

Now, though, he felt the familiar pain of hunger. It was time to hunt.

Spreading his wings, he soared off of the branch. He pumped his muscular wings calmly, feeling the warm, exuberating sting of strength coursing through every part of his body. None of the lowly creatures were capable of containing such a feeling within the confines of their frail, trembling bodies, he knew.

The cool rushing of the wind surrounded him. As he scanned the ground, he caught the quick movements of something small and furry within a cluster of bushes. Excitement overcame him as he darted towards the bushes, reaching for his prey with razor-sharp talons. Moments later, he had his claws around the neck of a writhing rabbit.

He would need a place to consume his dinner. He beheld a small clearing of rocks surrounded by bushes and glided towards it, landing gracefully and letting his prey slam into the ground. He had no consideration for its feelings. It would die anyway.

The rabbit lay stunned on the ground, its sides heaving with shallow breathing. He advanced towards it, his beak open and seeming incredibly sharp in the clear mid-day light. This was his favorite part.

He plunged his beak into the rabbit's neck, tearing again and again as the warm blood flowed into his mouth. The rabbit let out a thin scream as it died, leaving its body to be the eagle's feast. The eagle ate heartily, blood splattering his feathers as he nourished himself, thinking about what a wonderful thing he was indeed. Why, no creature could defeat him! He was the lord of all things, an undefeatable conquerer, a warrior which no creature could stand against and win. He allowed himself to get lost in the taste of his prey, blocking out his surroundings.

Hiding in the bushes, a mountain lion bared his teeth and grinned savagely. It was time to kill.
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 am
Forevermore2195 says...

Hello,

I wouldn't exactly say that I liked it, but mainly thats just the content. It doesn't appeal to my preferences but I'm sure others would love it.
You show a very good vocabulary, very extensive and you show a good skill for capturing a readers attention.
Its a fantastic skill to have, if you don't capture someone's interest in the first couple of lines, no-one really bothers to read the rest. And you obviously want them to read the rest.
I didn't see and grammar or spelling mistakes, which is great.
Other than the fact it doesn't go with my tastes, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Its a great piece of work.
Keep up the great writing :)

-- Ever.
"Waiting for the day all my pain goes away and the memory of your love fades to black."

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:38 am
hermes92 says...

It was a good piece of writing. It detailed that the bird was going through his plight in all of its arrogance only to show that his plight would backfire which was a good way to put the whole story together. Arrogance is nasty. So the moral was good. Keep up your good work! I liked it.
Everything that happens has a meaning behind it

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson