z

Young Writers Society

I Remember

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am
confetti says...

Spoiler! :
In case you're confused, the years represent when the event happened, but the girl is looking back from 2002.

I think my first memory of you is from when we were six. Do you remember that day when we laid in your backyard for hours and watched the clouds pass us by? You could see so much that I couldn’t—rabbits, trees, snakes, houses. I remember when you said you could see a train full of people waving. I had scoffed at it, but I was secretly impressed - impressed and jealous. It amazed me how much you could see, while I was so blind. I guess that was always the difference between you and me - you could see everything, and I was about as stubborn as they came. I’m glad you were there that day. You showed me what it was like to have an imagination. Do you remember when you pointed out the cloud shaped like a hand and tried to get me to see it? Well, I did see it. Even though I said I didn’t, I did. I was just too stubborn to admit that you were right.

Do you remember the year we joined Little League? I think we were nine. Your mom signed you up for it in the fall and had convinced mine to do the same. Out of all the games we played, there was always one that I could never get out of my mind. It was about halfway through the season and we were playing the Yankees. Their pitcher was the fastest we’d ever seen, and everyone on our team was afraid to bat against him. Except you. You weren’t one to let things like that scare you. After countless strikeouts from our team, you were up to bat. I remember it so clearly. You took one look at me, smiled, and turned into the batters box. You held your bat confidently and hit the ball farther than anyone had done all year. The left fielder missed it and you got a home run. When you got back to the bench, out of breath, I asked you, “How did you do that?” You only grinned, briefly patted my back, and said, "Your turn." That was the game I got my first hit. I guess your confidence rubbed off on me. You had a habit of doing that, even back then.

I remember your tenth birthday, the day we felt so invincible. You’d decided not to have a birthday party, but instead you had a camp-out in your backyard with me. I never admitted it, but I felt honored. We made a banner to put across your tent - “Caleb and Emily’s fort. NO ADULTS ALLOWED”- and painted it in your favourite colour, blue. We were quite pleased with ourselves. After we had hung up the banner, you brought out your flashlights and we told ghost stories and made shadow puppets until midnight. After we had finished another round of giggles, you turned to me with wide, innocent eyes, and asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” People had been asking me that my whole life. Parents, teachers, family, friends, but somehow it was different when you asked me. I couldn’t place my finger on why, but it was. “A veterinarian,” I replied with confidence. I had expected you to get excited - being a veterinarian seemed like a big deal back then. Instead you said, “I want to be the president.” I scoffed and said, “That’s not going to happen." I'm sorry about that, by the way, that was terrible of me. You looked at me with a tight jaw, and in a cold voice you said, “And what makes you think you’re going to be a veterinarian?” You then rolled over in your sleeping bag and we didn’t speak for the rest of the night. I always felt bad for laughing, but I had too much pride to tell you.

When I was twelve, my dad died. I don’t have to ask you if you remember this, I know you do. It had happened so suddenly, a fast car crash, a faster death. You had come to the funeral bearing white lilies and open arms. We were both sitting outside, you were sporting an over-sized black suit, and I was wearing a rather plain black dress. You were holding my hand as I sobbed into your shoulder. “I can’t do this,” I had said through my tears. “I can’t go through my life without my dad.” For a while you were silent as I cried, then, quietly, you said, “You can. I’ll be there.” I stopped crying long enough to look at you. “Do you promise?” I had asked, trying my best to hold it together. I really was a mess. “I do.” With that promise, my tears ceased. In fact, I didn’t cry through the entire ceremony. I’d like to let you know that I’ve been holding you to those words, I only wish you had kept them.

You were seventeen when you began to get the headaches. I remember we went out to a movie one night, I brought m&ms and you brought Tylenol. We couldn’t have been halfway through the movie when you started to cough. You coughed for so long that the people beside us were starting to give us dirty looks. "Are you-" Before I had a chance to finish, you were out of your seat, pushing past people and rushing down the stairs. I got up as well, much slower than you had, and followed you out of the theatre doors. When I found you, you were huddled over a garbage can, puking your guts out. One of the workers was at your side, asking you if you were all right. You didn’t answer her. I’m not sure if it was because you were too busy throwing up, or because you just didn’t know. You didn’t answer me when I asked you either.

A couple of days after the movie theatre incident, long hours filled with extreme nausea and headaches, your mom took you to the hospital. I remember feeling so worried about you that I asked if I could tag along. To this day, I wish I hadn’t. We were at the hospital for what felt like an eternity until, finally, the doctor asked to speak to your mother and me privately. In a gentle, calm voice, a voice that only a doctor could have, she explained that you were diagnosed with brain cancer. A primary brain tumor. I didn’t know what that meant at the time, only that it was far from good. The doctor said there was a surgery available for your type, to prolong your life. “How long?” your mother had asked in a shaky voice. I took hold of her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. “A year, maybe two. It’s hard to determine at this stage.” And with those words, my world was flipped upside down, turned inside out, and shaken. I’d never told you this, but you were practically my everything.

Surely you remember graduation night. You had been sick all week; the cancer was really getting to you. Not many people thought you would show up, but they didn’t know you like I did. I waited for the longest time outside of the auditorium, and after a while even I was beginning to second-guess whether you would show up. But then, there you were, walking towards me in a striking black gown that matched my own. You looked like you were about to say something, but instead, you leaned over and began one of your coughing fits. I rubbed your back until it was over. By then, all sorts of people were swarming around us, asking if you were okay. “I’m fine, I’m fine,” you had said through coughs. When you had settled down and everyone had drifted back inside, you pulled me into a tight hug. I was surprised by how much strength you had when you looked so weak. “Thank you,” you whispered. I didn’t say anything, but I did smile. I know you couldn’t see it, but it was there. Later that night, when you walked across the stage to get your diploma, I cried. Last year I didn’t think we would be graduating together, but you were standing on that stage, proving me wrong. I never got a chance to tell you, but I’ve never been prouder.

Graduation night was easily one of the best nights of my life. You were too sick to go camping with the other people from our graduating class like we had planned, so I set up a tent in your backyard. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the expression on your face when you walked outside and saw it. It was priceless. I made us a fire and we sat around it in lawn chairs, roasting marshmallows. We were both quiet for a long time, but it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, it never was with us. It took me a while to work up the courage to ask you what I asked you next. About the time it took me to roast three marshmallows. “Are you scared?” You looked at me with a puzzled expression on your face. Perhaps I had caught you off-guard, or maybe you just weren’t completely sure. “Why are you asking me this?” you said in a hoarse voice, I could hardly hear you over the crackle of the fire. “Because,” I paused, summoning more courage, “I am.” I felt exposed; I didn’t usually let my guard down like that. “Emily, come here.” I set down my roasting stick and walked around the fire pit to your chair. You smiled sadly at me and took my hand in yours. “Let me show you something.” You got up from your chair slowly and took a seat on the grass, pulling me down with you. We lay in the grass side by side, surrounded by night’s peaceful silence. You pointed into the sky. It was beautiful that night; the sky was filled with stars. Billions and billions of stars from places we could never begin to imagine. But they weren’t what you were pointing to. My eyes followed your frail fingers until I noticed the cloud. “What does that look like?” you asked. I stared at it thoughtfully before I answered. “A ship.” You smiled and closed your eyes. I wasn’t sure why you had asked me that, but I closed my eyes too. We both fell asleep on the warm summer grass.

Last year, while you were in my room, you fainted. When you didn’t get up, I called 911. You wouldn’t remember this. Helplessly, I watched as you were loaded into an ambulance and taken to the nearest hospital. I was in complete shock, it was hard to stop shaking and crying long enough to tell my mom what had happened. Since I was too much of a wreck to drive myself, my mom drove me. You were in the ICU, and you still hadn’t woken up. I had rushed to your side immediately and grasped your hand in mine, willing you to open your eyes. You never did. A nurse came into your room to check on you. “How long?” I asked brokenly. She looked at me with a sad expression. “His organs are failing him, there isn’t much we can do.” That wasn’t a good enough answer for me. “How long?” I repeated. “It could be hours, it could be minutes.” I nodded at her, and turned my attention back to you. Luckily, it was hours. Hours that I filled by talking to you, holding your hand, and brushing the hair out of your eyes. Your mom was there, too, of course. She held your other hand, and we shared memories back and forth. At 9:56, your heart failed. In one instant you were there, and in the next you were gone. Although your body was still on the hospital bed, I knew you weren’t really there.

Today I laid white lilies on your grave. I usually bring you white lilies because I like what they represent; beauty, peace, and innocence. You're lying in a beautiful spot, next to a huge oak tree that shades you during the hot months of summer. You have two neighbours - one is a young boy, younger than you were, and the other is an elderly woman. When I visit you, it feels like I’m visiting them too, and sometimes I bring them flowers. But never white lilies – I reserve those for you.
Last edited by confetti on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 am, edited 14 times in total.
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:29 pm
View Likes
chloe13 says...

Wow, this evokes such strong emotion . . .so sad, I nearly started to cry!
The bit at the end was really beautiful, you're a really talented writing and I hope you keep continuing to do so! :)

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:40 pm
View Likes
michaeld says...

This is just beautiful!! I almost cried at the end! The imagery is so amazing and I could really see you guys together! Also the dates in the big bold really finished the whole thing ;) It reminded me of a book I read a while back... come to think of it, it reminded me of a lot of books! Wow. I'm going to have to go back and re read it! Wow. Just wow. Keep writing! BRAVO!
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 pm
michaeld says...

Oh and one more thing. Was Caleb Walker a real person? I couldn't help but wonder that the whole time :) Once again, great job!
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:03 am
mikepyro says...

usually bring you white roses; I like what they represent, beauty, peace, and innocence. --- cut the ;, replace with period. change comma after represent to ;.
The piece starts in 1988, while the boy is born 1982, which would make him 6 at the time, yet the piece starts as though remembering a time long ago, I doubt the kid would have much memory beyond a year back.
Really dislik the "top 5 worst days". Not for structure reasons, just seems hamhanded in comparison to the rest of the piece.

Honestly, I really liked this.

It's probably one of my favorite pieces I've read on the site. It sticks close to the style I enjoy and use, how you approach loss and death, but also how well you managed it. The simple lines, remembered, how you reserve the roses, how he doesn't answer when you ask him how he is, these are points I love.

They're sharp, heartwrenching, and true. I loved the year stye, and while there are times when the piece feels like it should be cliche (white roses....ugh, anything but roses I know it's sweet but this seems like a different boy to her, he deserves something for him, something not like the others) you manage to pull away just enough to make these moments work (ie, the baseball game, while I didn't love this part, felt it didn't add as much as it should have for the length it takes up, does a strong enough job of enhancing your characters that I'm okay with it)

All in all, very good work. This is the kind of stuff that should be featured :]

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:20 pm
smvanr says...

Hi, I'm going to review your story. (:
I just want to let you know that I am being suuuuper nitpicky here. Mostly because there isn't anything else left for me to do. This piece is incredibly well written, and I can tell you proofread before you posted because I didn't find any major grammar mistakes. :D Which is awesome, good job! (:
Well, here goes:

Do you remember the year we joined Little League?
"The" makes more sense than "that," mostly because "year we joined Little League" already specifies what year you're talking about. You don't need to use "that" to specify it more.

You weren’t one to be afraid of things.
I would say it a little differently... "things" just seems way too vague. Maybe "You weren't one to be afraid of anything," or "You weren't one to let things like that scare you."

That was the game I got my first hit.
Soo. First, I'm not a baseball person, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "hit." Like, at bat? If you could specify it somehow, that'd be great. Also, I'm not sure how this relates to the rest of the paragraph. The paragraph is all about Caleb and his confidence and success, so the one-liner at the end about your hit seems random. Another sentence or something to connect the two would help me get the connection.

We made a banner to put across your tent- “Caleb and Emily’s fort. NO ADULTS ALLOWED"- and painted it in your favourite colour, blue.
I would just use hyphens because they work better for this purpose (inserting what the banner says) than commas do. It helps the... flow, I guess, if you were to read it aloud.

I had laughed. I’m sorry about that, by the way, that was terrible of me. “That’s not going to happen,” I scoffed. You shot me an angry look.
So my issue with this quote was that you say that you laughed, you apologize, and then you go on to say that you scoffed at his dream. It seems a little out of order. I was thinking that maybe you could rearrange it so you laugh and scoff, and then you apologize for your past self having been so thoughtless. Just a thought. :o

I’d like to let you know that I’ve been holding you to those words, I only wish you had been able to keep them.
When you say "I only wish you had kept them," I kind of got the impression that you blame him for not keeping them. Like he ran away, or broke his promise. Him getting cancer isn't really his fault though; I think if you rephrase it, it sounds less like it was his fault and more like he really, really wishes that he could have kept his promise, but he wasn't physically able to.

I'd like to pause here and point out something I've noticed (which is also in the last quote): you have a tendency write run-on sentences separated by commas. For instance:
I had expected you to get excited, being a veterinarian seemed like a big deal back then.

I’m sorry about that, by the way, that was terrible of me.

I remember we went out to a movie one night, I brought m&m’s, and you brought Tylenol.
I'm not really sure if you're doing this on purpose or not. If you are, then that's fine, because it adds to the voice & style of the MC. I just wanted to point it out in case it wasn't on purpose so you'd know to fix it. (:

We were at the hospital for what felt like an eternity.

I waited for the longest time outside of the auditorium, and after a while even I was beginning to second-guess whether you would show up.

"How long?” I repeated.

The end of nitpicks. :D I guess you could probably break up the paragraphs within each year. Usually, chunky writing bothers me, but to be honest, once I started reading I barely even noticed. This is an excellent piece of writing & I was almost crying at the end of it. It's so good! If you ever have anything else you want me to edit, just let me know and I'd be happy to. :D

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 pm
Jas says...

Hey,

So I'm going to review your short story :). I've read a bunch of your pieces but never had the time or energy to review. You're a really great writer. So here we go:

I read this on your blog type thing and on YWS and I'm sort of confused on why you would prefer me, the reader, to read it via blog thing. It's not important or a big deal, but not knowing is bothering me. I really liked this. It was a strong piece, formatted well, with good sentences, great descriptions and a solid, heart-breaking plot.

A couple nitpicks though:

I really didn't understand the genders of the two friends at first, because you mentioned 'Caleb and Emily' then you said they were both wearing dresses to graduation. Also, Little League teams are one gender, like girls on one team, boys on another. I didn't like the whole 'Yankees' team thing. It confused me and I hope it wasn't like you were talking about the *actual* Yankees team, years before they all grew up or something. I'm not sure that made sense but I strongly recommend changing the name of the team.

That's all that really stood out. Hmm, I really liked how you didn't make it a cliche and have Emily, cry and declare her undying love to Caleb on his deathbed or anything like that. I liked how strong their friendship was. This was a truly fantastic piece. It needs a little bit of pruning, but the roses will turn out great.

If you have any questions or comments, send me a PM.

Grade: A

~jas
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:35 pm
View Likes
joshuapaul says...

Hello Confetti,

Here I am, as promised.

Let's go.
confetti wrote:I think my first memory of you is when we were six.

This is good, but a little confusing, are we in 1988 and the memory is in the past relative to 1988? or is the narrator strictly talking about 1988? cause if we are in 1988 and the narrator is too, they would be remembering back to when they were 6, which means they are older in 1988. If that makes sense. :S

Do you remember that day when we sat in your backyard for hours and watched the clouds? You could see so much that I couldn’t—rabbits, trees, snakes, wizards.

huh? Wizards? Haha this is a little distracting and abrupt. Like its not progressive, trees to wizards? I don't know it threw me a bit though.

I had scoffed at it, but I was secretly impressed, impressed and jealous.

You are almost there but you could show us a little more.

'I had scoffed at it, but at times I could barely conceal my admiration'

Then we get a bit of an image. We know its a secret because it is concealed, but not only that we can imagine your MC's face shaping and acting, resisting the friends peering eyes.

It amazed me how much you could see, while I was so blindtowards everything. While you could see trains full of people, the only thing my brain would process was a cloud. I guess that was always a hugethe difference between you and me. You could see everything there was to see in the world, and I was about as stubborn as they come.

I have the urge to strike out 'as they come.' in the last line here. But, I think it does give the MC's narration a colloquial sort of feel. It makes the narration seem natural. If that's the effect you were after leave it, but, you could definitely scrap it and leave it 'I was stubborn and it would be fine. Just consider what every line adds to the story, but this seems to add to the character so you can leave it.

Do you remember when you pointed out the cloud shaped like a hand and tried to get me to see it? Well, I did see it. Even though I said I didn’t, I did. I was just too stubborn to admit that you were right.

Wow Confetti, this is amazing. End it here, end it all. This is a story in it's own right. Great work, I hope this keeps up.

It was about halfway through the season and we were playing the Yankees, the top team in the league.

You say top team in the league for the benefit of the spectator(us the reader) but the character being addressed (the friend) would already be privy to this, presumably. This is really nit-picky but I think it should read something a bit more like

'It was about halfway through the season and we were playing the Yankees, I hated them because they seemed to always take out the championship.'

Like I said, this is really nit-picky but it would make it will make the narrators voice a little more consistent.

You weren’t one to be afraid of things. After countless strikeouts from our team, you were up to bat. I remember it so clearly. You took one look at me, smiled, and turned into the batters box. You held your bat confidently and hit the ball farther than anyone had done all year. The left fielder missed it and you got a home run. When you got back to the bench, I asked you, “How did you do that?” You shrugged and said, “I have no clue.” That was the game I got my first hit.

This again is lovely and ties a neat little bow around this section. My only gripe is the line.

'You weren't one to be afraid of things'

- It's just a little unfocussed, not to mention a little formal. Keep it casual/colloquial or make it all formal.

Okay in the next part, I think you should break up the first paragraph. Between 'blue', and 'We.'

with a very serious expression on your face' and 'You shot me an angry look.

There is a better way of saying both of these clauses. You tell us here, when you should show us. I know, I know, you have heard it a million times. But, here are two clauses that are screaming to be filled with description.

'with your eyebrows meeting over your nose'

or lace it with foreshadowing too.

'your eyebrows met over your nose, the same look you would learn to utilise in your teens.'

or something like that. The other lone could read better as:

'Your eyes grew wide and your cheeks red.' - then we have a clear image of an angry little boy.

“And what makes you think you’re going to be a veterinarian?” Without another word, You then rolled over in your sleeping bag and we didn’t speak for the rest of the night.

you in your over-sized black suit, and me in a rather plain black dress.

Nice line. You can afford a little more description here, it's not overly important though. Something like:

You, swimming in your Dad's black suit.

Something that provides a little more depth. Like I said it's up to you, not overly important.

I had asked shakily.

Your speech tags in this entire segment seem too detached. Your character wouldn't talk about herself like this because she wouldn't really notice these things if she's that distraught. It's an easy fix.

'I said, barely keeping it together.

I only wish you had kept them.

This might be the single most important line of the entire piece. Great foreshadowing, it almost carries venom. So desperate, yet eloquent in it's brevity. Now, I'm excited.

We couldn’t have been halfway through the movie(comma) when you started to cough.

I think there should be a comma there.

I whispered to you, asking if you were okay, and then suddenly you were out of your seat, pushing past people and rushing down the stairs.

Maybe use dialogue.

"Are you okay?" I said quietly. You waved away my enquiry, stood and...

I’m not sure if it was because you were busy, or because you just didn’t know.

Busy? What an inappropriate euphemism. Why not tell it like it is? I think if your MC is that comfortable with him she would tell him how she saw it.

"I'm not sure if you couldn't speak between heaves, or you just didn't know the answer."

A couple days after the movie theatre incident, days filled with extreme nausea and headaches, your mom took you to the hospital.

Don't use 'days' twice if you can avoid it. Also this whole sentence is a bit hard to swallow. Its almost like three loosely related clauses were strung together. Make the link a little bit more clear.

'your nausea and headaches got so bad that your mum drove you to the hospital.'

it should also be ' A couple of days later...'

Anyway. The rest of the story is almost perfect. You nearly drew tears. I think the only thing you should reconsider is the description of the grave etc. I think I know why you included it but it doesn't really have the effect you might have intended. I think you should end by talking about why she wrote the letter, or end it in the hospital.

eg, 'I wrote this letter because I never got a chance to tell you...'

I don't know. I think the end is the only bit that needs work. Think about what your story is really saying, like really saying. It's a very sad story and a little redemptive, but the conclusion really doesn't close the wound you open. Which is fine, but it doesn't amplify it either. I may be wrong but I loved it all except the part after the hospital.

So the characters are great, its a very lovely sad tale and I thought you handled the tough theme well.

Great work and I really hope I helped!

JP
Read my latest

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 am
View Likes
murtuza says...

Hi Confetti :)

It's a very sweet and warm story that you've laid out for us here. About two friends and their journey through life together and when one of them has to leave abruptly, though not without instilling a calm sense of love and morals and values into the other- Emily.

You've narrated the story out so well and it instantly clicks because it is in the POV of Emily and that makes it much more personal and provides that impact which makes it all the more interesting to read. The characters have been introduced and described brilliantly. The imagery has been well portrayed and there are so many moments which uplift the whole purpose of the theme.

A story with a cause and a picture well painted. A nice job indeed. I particularly liked the incidents in the year 2000.
Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading such a beautiful piece. Keep the ink flowing!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily