z

Young Writers Society

Title to be decided

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:48 pm
View Likes
mim says...

This, to be honest, is kind of weird and you may not understand purely because it is the beginning of a project i hope to carry on with over a period ot time. I hope you like it. I'd love some help with it though so please, i don't mind what your idea is, tell me!!! Oooo critism is good too! enjoy x mim

More added today! (17/12/04)

All I can see is the ceiling, but my mind’s eye peers further. Through brick and mortar, through the frames to what surrounds it. Above and below is just a boundless extremity of space filled with monstrosities, painful to the senses, as well as unimaginable beauty which lives deep inside us all.
And each and every thing visible has something hidden in it, whether its an engagement ring or the cure for cancer, its hidden nonetheless. The inhabitants surrounding, seeing, touching, hearing, sometimes even sensing, these things aren’t really that different from their scenery.
Everyone has a story to tell, a hidden dream or a dark secret, which could send their pretty little world crashing to the ground and shattering their once fragile existence into a million irreplaceable pieces.
Each person has a vault, a chamber in their heart, full of thoughts, emotions, deeds, acts and wishes that they have the one and only key to. And no matter how much you try and loosen their grip on this unique key you will never be able to even glimpse it, let alone touch it. They hold onto that key tightly in their clenched fist. And no matter how much they grasp harder, letting it dig into their palm, no matter how long they watch the tiny rivers of blood trickle over their knuckles, not once, no, never will they release that key from their fist like consciousness.
But. What if their grip did loosen? What if we could gain access to those most secret and precious thoughts? What would we find? We could unleash the curse of Pandora’s box and then we’d curl up into a corner and hide from the once hidden, but now unleashed things.
You’d realise why they were hidden in the first place and you’d wish to God that you left the key where it belongs.

He lay on the all too familiar couch and just gazed at the darkness threatening to take over. He could see it everywhere providing a morbid decoration for the world he saw.
The door opened, startling Him out of his thoughts, and there It stood. All white coat, unblinking eyes and clipboard. He flinched as the eyes stared through him, practically severing him in half. He tried, unsuccessfully, to avoid eyecontact – but those eyes! There was just something about them. They were compelling eyes. They were magnets, drawing all to their unfaltering gaze.
Each step It took increased the fear rising in him. It made every hair stand up defensively, it put every nerve on edge. After an eternity of seconds It reached the desk and stood in superior silence peering into the very essence of His soul.
Pictures flicked through Its eyes – children on a swing, ice-cream on the floor, blood covered knives, rows upon rows of coffins, tears falling to the ground in almighty droplets, satanic smiles – each one more disturbing and heart renching than the other. Each image heightened the fear yet knowledge of the coat that stood before Him.
In the background, a strong but subtle beat resounded as the room, once spacious, seemed to contract, altering from large to minute in milliseconds. The heat, which had never presented itself before that moment, increased tenfold, causing small droplets to appear on His forehead and trickle down His nose into His mouth, reminding Him that at least his taste buds were working correctly.
You think He would be used to this by now – two years of three times a week, one hour at a time, £150 a go. But Oh no – not him, He was different. While everyone else grew stronger and more confident after each session, He drew more into himself, even more secluded, hiding away and delving into his thoughts – creating worry-free insecurity.
Returning from his confused state of mind to the room in which he lay, Its presence was felt more so. He cautiously turned his head to the side to find the coat poised comfortably on the hard, leather exterior of the armchair staring intently with eyes that scared the hell out of him. It took a long, deep breath, exhaled and began.

“Tell me your story”. It murmured in a monotone, barely audible unless in close proximity. And He was close – almost too close. He could feel Its’ breath on his hands – warm yet eerily cold – as It wormed its’ way through his body, delving into every pore.
“I can’t tell you, You’d never understand.” His story was a dark and dreary one. A story - a creator of fears. It was a story that felt like a presence, the story is the movement you glimpse in the dark, the object you close your eyes tight to. But when you are enveloped in the ‘safety’ of darkness the danger and fear becomes more apparent. His story was that.
If He told the Story He’d never be able to close his eyes again for the overwhelming terror of seeing it al replay, seeing the images which threatened to haunt His days as well as His night.
“It’s easier than you think, open yourself to me. I won’t judge you, I’ll just listen.”
‘How would you know?’ He thought. ‘Easier said than done’ resounded in his head.
But wasn’t this session about facing up to the unknown? Trying new things, facing up to your past… and inevitably your Demons.

I NEED HELP! Can you think of a better title suited to the story? If you do please either post it below or Send it to me in a P.M. Thanx x
Last edited by mim on Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
*likle mim*

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:06 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

wow. just a couple things right now, first
He tried, unsuccessfully, to avoid eyecontact – but those eyes! There was just something about them, supernatural maybe?

i wouldn't say this as a question, but as a statement.

i love the first part, brilliant.

the eyes, you come back to them several times, and i would say show what the eyes are, don't just tell us. i want to know why they scare the character, not just that they do. take the reader through the thinking process of your character until they are as scared of the eyes as your character is.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:05 pm
View Likes
WinterGrimm says...

I'd just like to start off by saying that this is honestly one of the best pieces of fiction I've seen on this site. Its clever, its clear, its vitually free of passive voice and its engaging. There aren't many nit picky things I'll have to point out. But here's the stuff I caught.

All I can see is the ceiling but my minds eye peers further.

There should be a comma "All I can see is the ceiling, by my mind's ey peers further." As well as mind's is possesive not plural.

He lay on the all too familiar couch and just gazed at the darkness threatening to take over. He could see it everywhere providing a morbid decoration for the world he saw.

How do the shadows play on the objects in the room? I'd like to see more here. Morbid decoration is good. But I want to know why the decoration is morbid I want to see the room.

All white coat, unblinking eyes and clipboard.

Ooooh chills!

He flinched as the eyes stared almost through him.

It might give the statement more power if "the eyes" stare through, try cutting almost.

It took a long, deep breath, exhaled and began.

And you end here? Aaarrrgh!

I must say, I'm genuinly impressed. And I have to reiterate that reading this little peice has been a breath of fresh air. One thing I can say is th you might be abloe to do a bit more showing rather than telling. But please continue this. It captures this sense of madness excellently. Please keep going with this. As soon as you do I will critique it.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings