z

Young Writers Society

Untitled

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed May 18, 2005 1:02 am
daria_TV says...

Hey all. I found the first half of this story in my computer file. I wrote it a long time ago and decided to make some adjustments today. Tell me what you think. (P.S. It needs a few adjustments obviously, but I was too lazy to make most of them. Point out what you can).

Lucy Warrow bolted upright out of her bed with a loud gasp. Cold sweat covered her body, and she breathed heavily with terror. Her eyes darted around the room as if expecting someone to jump out at her. No one was there.
A sudden relief swept over her and she lay back down. She’d had another dream, and once again could not recall what it was about or why she’d been so frightened. These dreams had been going on for months and each night she’d wake up petrified with fear.
Lucy glanced at her alarm clock. It was five thirty in the morning. She didn’t have to wake up for a whole other hour. Grimly she turned over in her bed but she knew she would not be able to fall asleep again. She turned over on her stomach and laid her chin on her hands. She reached back and pulled off her blankets and gave her pearly white wings a stretch. They fluttered up and down gracefully. Then she stretched them as far as they would go, being careful not to hit the ceiling. Gently she returned them to her back, the sunlight giving them a dreamy glow as they glided downward. She turned over on her other side. Phoebe, Lucy’s sister, was gazing at her with her dark blue eyes.
“How long’ve you been up?” asked Lucy.
“A long time. Did you have another dream?” Phoebe asked sitting up slightly on her arm.
“Yes,” Lucy replied with a sigh. “They’re getting worse, but it’s probably just because of school starting and all.”
Phoebe nodded slightly and rested her head in one hand. She gave a faint smile and asked, “Are you ready for you’re first day of school?”
Lucy gave a reluctant grunt. “I don’t want to go.”
“I know you don’t.” Phoebe’s smile disappeared. “I didn’t either. It’s hard to be accepted into a society that’s so different from how we are.”
Phoebe’s eyes glistened in the darkness as she gazed intently at Lucy. A strange pressure formed between Lucy’s eyes. A quick surge of energy flew between the two girls minds. Lucy’s heart was suddenly strengthened and her mind became clearer. But it wasn’t right. She flew a hand over her eyes.
“Stop it Phoebe!” She said in a harsh whisper. Instantly she felt Phoebe withdraw from sharing her mind. Lucy looked over at Phoebe just in time to see her leaning back in her bed with a small smile on her face.
“You’re worried about your wings aren’t you,” Phoebe said staring at the ceiling.
“Well, you would know wouldn’t you?” Lucy said irritably. Phoebe had just stolen a moment in Lucy’s mind, shared her feelings, and given her extra power. It was what Lucy hated most about her older sister. She couldn’t blame her for caring, but a part of Lucy always thought that when she stole moments in others minds that she had some darker reason behind it all, which was mostly untrue.
“Yes I would.” Phoebe smiled her rare toothy smile that she reserved for her mischievous moments. Suddenly it disappeared and she looked down. “Look Lucy, I know you know the drill. But I just want to remind you that no matter what those creeps say about you, you mustn’t reveal your wings.”
Lucy rolled her eyes indicating her boredom and obvious dislike in being told what to do by an older sibling. Phoebe sighed and checked the clock. She made her bed, opened the window, and climbed out to do her mind exercises.
Without looking at the clock, Lucy knew it was 6:00. Every morning at 6:00 Phoebe would climb out onto the roof and use her mind skills to stretch her muscles. She would bend her body in almost impossible ways that could not have been done with just physical strength alone. It was extraordinary to watch, and sometimes, when Lucy actually woke up, she’d sit come out and watch her sister gracefully fold herself literally in half.
But this morning Lucy decided against it. Still a bit irritated at the dip Phoebe had taken in her mind, she decided to get ready for school. She grabbed her towel and headed for the shower.
She turned on the faucet and twisted it to a warm temperature. She stripped down and walked in the shower. The warm water pounded against her back warming her cold hands and feet. She turned around slowly, letting her wings skim the cool tile walls; she closed her eyes and let the water flow down her shoulders and face. She poured a glob of shampoo into her hand. It smelled like lavender and reminded her she had allergies. She opened her eyes, the sudden thought of allergies awakening her to the thought of school. Grimly she began to wash her bright red hair a sense of foreboding hanging in the air. School started in two hours.
~!~!Ich bin ein haufen mist!~!~

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Wed May 18, 2005 2:04 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

this is cool, a good start, try to work on it more, because it left me hanging, and i would like to know more about the character and her background (ex. why she has wings, etc.) this is a really cool start... 8)

5 Reviews

Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 am
daria_TV says...

Well, thats funny. I would like to know why she has wings too. I've got various ideas, but none that could really make a good story. *sighs heavily* I'm at a loss. But I just got pissed off and that always inspires me to write, so you're in luck! I might have the next section ready by tomorrow maybe. Thanks for the encouragment.

375 Reviews

Wed May 18, 2005 2:55 am

sure, anytime, what were your ideas for how they had wings,(one could be that they were fallen angels banished from heaven to live on earth until their pennance was up(until they died), the dream could be what the punishmet would be if they did not do a good job on earth) just a thought..........

5 Reviews

Wed May 18, 2005 3:31 am
daria_TV says...

It's been forever since I've even written a story. I just happened across it and I got psyched about it again. I think the first one was that they belonged to a different world and some evil dictator was genetically creating new people with special abilities. In this idea the Warrow family left because the leader was pretty much insane. The last genetically altered child they had was Lucy, and obviously, she has wings. They went through some world gate or something and came to earth where they moved to Alaska so that Lucy could wear sweaters and stuff to conceal her wings all year round. That was one of them. Another one was that in the US there was some psycho genetic research and the whole Warrow family partook in it and they had to leave and try to get away or something. I dunno they're all pretty much lame and I've got nothing really go to go on. Any suggestions?

375 Reviews

Wed May 18, 2005 4:00 am

uhh, did you see my post just before yours? cuz if you didnt i have a suggestion in it..

5 Reviews

Wed May 18, 2005 9:37 pm
daria_TV says...

oh duh, I'm stupid. Sorry about that. That is a good suggestion but she's the only one with wings in her whole family. Oooh, thats a good idea to make them all have wings though. Right now I'm having a writers block. I was on fire last night but today I'm dead. Thanks for the suggestion by the way.

375 Reviews

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Wed May 18, 2005 10:14 pm
emotion_less says...

All right. I might seem really picky and not right with my critique but here it is...
She didn’t have to wake up for a whole other hour.

I think this would come out smoother as "She didn't have to wake up for another hour."

Phoebe, Lucy’s sister, was gazing at her with her dark blue eyes.

Where did Phoebe come from? I know she turns to her side the moment before, but she's been moving around in her bed for awhile. Why didn't Lucy see Phoebe while she was looking at the clock or turning around in her bed?

She gave a faint smile and asked, “Are you ready for you’re first day of school?”

It's your first day.

Lucy gave a reluctant grunt. “I don’t want to go.”

The wording of this was kind of weird. You aren't reluctant until you give into something you don't want to do. Lucy didn't give in to anything yet. She is just complaining at the moment.

Phoebe had just stolen a moment in Lucy’s mind, shared her feelings, and given her extra power.

It seemed that everything in that list was negative except the last part. Maybe you can, instead of listing all that Phoebe did, explain a little about how each thing was done.

Phoebe smiled her rare toothy smile that she reserved for her mischievous moments.

Phoebe has smiled and stopped smiling a couple times so far... It's been bugging me.

The last paragraph had a lot of "She did this. She did that." You would describe something in between them, but it still got a little annoying.
Maybe you could indent your paragraphs or put a space in between them. Although it wasn't all in one huge paragraph, it was a bit difficult to read. During the whole story, there were a lot of missing commas... just thought I could point that out :). As for the interest of the story, it's not extremely interesting yet, but it's something I would definitely continue reading. I hope you do keep writing this. Good luck!

If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there.
— George Harrison