z

Young Writers Society

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:59 am
Incandescence says...

Last edited by Incandescence on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:34 am
Galatea says...

*Laughs out loud* I LOVE your reference to The Hollow Men. It absolutley made my night. Good show!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:22 am
Tara says...

Brad, you're brilliant!!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:20 pm
Nate says...

I get to be contrarian :)

It seems cliche to me; that is, I've read something like this or close to this a million times before. You need to update it, and it's always better to show rather than tell.

You also need to go through this and edit it thoroughly. For instance, " their pathetic souls will
look up to me and beg, "Save us," and I will whisper back, "No."," sounds way too awkward and too slapped together. Getting rid of the last part (and I will whisper...) might fix the problem.

The symbolism and metaphors need to be downplayed; it's good to have them, but you can't slap them all together in a piece of flash fiction that is less than 500 words. Indeed, if the latter is what you are striving for, then you need to make this a lot simpler. Right now, the piece does not rest by itself as it needs more, lots more.

However, as a character sketch, this is well done, and it would be very useful material for a well-developed story. But, as a story, this falters. It's too much and too little at the same time.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:45 pm
Incandescence says...

Heehee. It was actually written in my Post-Apocalyptic Narratives course, when we were analyzing The Watchmen (hence the title, "Who watches the watchmen?") and had to do a character summary of Rorschach. But I kind of altered that to make it a little more suitable.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes