z

Young Writers Society

Morning

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:10 pm
Sureal says...

I was bored, so I quickly wrote this ;).

Morning

I woke slowly. The beeping of my alarm confused me at first – I couldn’t tell what it was, or what it indicated. I blinked a couple of times, waiting for consciousness to return to me fully. I staggered out of my bed, leaving my crumpled duvet behind.

I hit hard on the top of the alarm, fumbling for the button to switch of the infernal racket. Ah – got it.
‘Much better,’ I breathed quietly. I reached and switched on my lampshade beside the clock, illuminating the room and stinging my eyes.

I was amazed that the noise the alarm and I had collectively made hadn’t woken up Tess.

Tess was my baby daughter. Only a year old – she could say a couple of simple words and stagger around uncertainly on her two little legs if someone held her hands.

I walked out into the hallway, muttering angrily under my breath about work. It was busy there at the moment – so I had to get up extra early to get all my work done.
Fred – my son – would look after Tess whilst I was out.

‘Huaahuaaahuahuaaa…’
I paused. What was that? It sounded like someone breathing. No… like someone struggling to breathe…
Could it be Tess? I quietly approached her door and listened in. No – I could hear her normal, regular breathing just fine.

‘Huaaahuaaahuhuaahuahuaa…’
I spun around to look behind me. It was slightly louder now, I was sure of it. And I had defiantly heard it. I wasn’t my imagination.
‘Fred?’ I asked quietly, hoping he’d reply.

‘Huaaahuaahuaahuhuaaahuhuaaahuaaa…’
What was that? I shook myself.
I made up my mind to go check in on Fred. No doubt this was his idea of a practical joke.

‘Huaaahuaaahuaahuahuahuaaaaahuaaahuhuaaaaaaaa…’
I silently opened Fred’s door and peered inside, ignoring the noise as best I could.
I could see Fred, sleeping comfortably in his bed.

‘Huaaahuaaaahuahuhuaaaaahuaaahuaaaahuaaaahuhuaaahuaaa…’
BANG!

I jumped, at the sudden crash. I spun round. There – over there! Oh god! Tess’ door!
It was wide open!
In my horror, I didn’t run away in fear, but instead ran to my daughter’s room. I could hear her crying now, at the top of her voice.

‘Huaaahuaaahuaahuaaaahuaaaahuhuaaahuaaahuaaaaaaahuaaahuaaaahuaaahuaaaa…’
And then… silence. Tess had stopped crying as I reached her room. I ran in, my arms raised and my fist’s balled. If there was someone in there, and if they had hurt my baby, I was going to make them pay.
But no – the room was empty. Empty of all life… even Tess.

All there was, was a small puddle of blood on her cot, licking around the cuddly toys. I fell to my knees. Who… what… could have done this?
Why had they done this?

I felt myself begin to be swallowed up by sadness. The pain of loss… I had trouble thinking… I felt tears well up in my eyes.
HuaaahuaaaahuaaaahuaaahuaaaahuaahuhuaaahuaaahuaaahuaaaaaahuaaaaaaaaAAAAA!
I felt a presence behind me – I could feel it breathing on the back of my neck…

I closed my eyes…
Last edited by Sureal on Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote the above just for you.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:17 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

That was sooo crazy!

Is there more coming?!

Random avatar

Reviews: 92
Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:36 pm
View Likes
lin night says...

So-so. The voice seems more like that of a kid or teenager than an adult with children, so it's not as convincing as it could be. In addition, the content of the story itself isn't particularly compelling - we've all read/seen this kind of thing before in some format. Not bad for something you wrote quickly though, I guess.

506 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:44 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Emma: Nope, this was written in around ten minutes, and I don't really have any other plans for it.

Lin night: This is my first attempt at writing something from an adults POV (I think it's the first time ever for me actually). And like I said, this was just a quick piece... I didn't really go for origionality ;).

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:49 pm
View Likes
VoraciousReader_545 says...

I like it but I have to agree with Lin Night. Maybe you could make the POV a teenager's- it would probaly sound better and make her childrens her siblings instead. Also when she reaches Tess's room you should make it more descriptive. Other than that I think it' s really good. :wink: :wink:

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:40 pm
View Likes
LiNdSeYo7 says...

You had a few good details, but after reading it, the only thoughts I had were questions... I wanted to know more... to know why it happened, who/what did it, etc... but if that was what you were going for, you did a great job.
<3 Lindsey

506 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:33 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

VoraciousReader_545 wrote:I like it but I have to agree with Lin Night. Maybe you could make the POV a teenager's- it would probaly sound better and make her childrens her siblings instead. Also when she reaches Tess's room you should make it more descriptive. Other than that I think it' s really good. :wink: :wink:

If I were to do that, I'd be going around the problem. I don't want to do that - I wanna go through it. I'll never be any good at writing stories from an adults POV otherwise ;).
I need to re-write this sometimes...

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh