z

Young Writers Society

Wildflowers

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 am
Incognito says...

Wildflowers

The pale morning sunlight falls softly on what was once our field. It warms my skin, my fragile petals, and my leaves gently unfurl even more to greet this cherished delight. Even the wind is gentle on this quiet morn, feeling like thousands of soft warm kisses against my fragile form. There is but a few clouds in the sky, my love. The rest is that deep blue that you so much enjoyed.

I remember your simplicity, darling, but in that was beauty; your long graceful stem, your soft olive shaded leaves. Your pleasant white petals always seemed to be so much brighter than even the sun. I can even still feel the smoothness of them when on those few occasions we would touch. But most of all, I miss your bright yellow eye, that ugly core surrounded by elegance and beauty. I would look at that and see your desire for dreams, for aspirations, for life. That simple yellow iris, rough and powdery showed who you really were, that and all your imperfections.

I loved you for it.

I always knew if you weren’t rooted to the ground you would fly away like those clouds floating away above us; letting the wind carry you where it will, gently and quietly without complaint.

Our roots were tangled together, the wind whispered, like a matted knot, bound and trapped. I did not see it that way though, dear, I saw it as a reassurance, always having you by my side. I wouldn’t have wished for it any other way.

The day they built that wall was the end of bliss I suppose. Things have never been quite the same with the large bricks, stacked one on top of the other, high in-between us. I no longer see your delicate features anymore, that bright inspiring eye showcasing what it meant to live.

I remember pushing against those rocks, trying to create a gap in the cracks in which I would be able to simply get a glimpse. I remember growing into the dark crevices that were barely there. It only brought more harm to myself. I still remember the desperation, the loss, the confusion. Even your soft perfume could not reach me.

The wind would occasionally blow by me, sending me tidings. They would whisper only more news that left me in devastation. They told me about the sunlight not being able to reach you, about the rains being too insufficient. I refused to believe them until I felt your roots start to wither away from mine. I felt you dying. Never was the pain as much as it was then, for I had all the sunlight I needed, all the rain. I would have gave you all I had. For I kept growing knowing that you would not be able to do the same.

Though like a ray of sunlight in a dark overcast day, child’s laughter could be heard ringing throughout our field. I could feel the reverberations of the child’s footsteps steadily growing closer. I heard them stop, and soon I felt your roots being pulled away from mine.
“Pretty,” I heard it speak. Then I felt it turn around and trot away, a small skip in its step, taking you with it.

You were gone, I knew, never to return, never to be tangled once more with me. But I couldn’t help but feel hope that you would be planted in one of those beautiful gardens designed for flowers like you. There you would get all the sunlight and water you needed. Or maybe even, you, unbound from the earth, would rise above us all and fly away, just like you always talked about doing. Maybe even then, I would see you once more, you with your bright yellow iris.

Until then, I will grow and live life, have dreams, have aspirations. And maybe then, I might even be picked like you were, to spread my beauty into others lives. For what better dream is that, to create happiness.

Spoiler! :
I totally wrote this at 1:30 in the morning, so like yah. Its not really meant to be anything special, but critiques are still wanted. I haven't written anything in forever, so I decided I might as well post it. It is different then I usually write, but oh well. Enjoy.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:49 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda says...

Hello Incognito,

Wow, that was honestly a really interesting story and I liked your interesting take on something so simple and plain. I enjoyed the depth that you went into and the incredible description.

I love the imagery and the amazing in depth description. It was a very well written story and I loved how well you managed to describe even the smallest most insignificant detail and turn it into something interesting and unusual. Now I just have a couple of suggestions to run by you and bring up.

You do need to work on getting everything to make sense. Most of it was easy to understand but occasionally you write something off topic or a detail that doesn't relate to the rest of the story. I think you just need to go through and just check for little lines like that and rephrase them so that they fit nicely with the rest of the story or just remove those bits of the story entirely.

The only other thing would be to check that you aren't over punctuating. It's not such a big issue but sometimes you put in a bit of punctuation that doesn't make sense and it transforms the sentence until it is just nonsensical. It would also be a good idea to take out some of the punctuation or change some of it a little bit. In some cases it is just minor but you should still edit this and just double check everything.

My favorite lines would definitely have to be these:
Our roots were tangled together, the wind whispered, like a matted knot, bound and trapped.
and
I remember pushing against those rocks, trying to create a gap in the cracks in which I would be able to simply get a glimpse.

Overall this was a really neat story and I really liked really liked the way that you explored every angle of the story. I'd really like to see more of your work around and if you ever want another review then just PM me. Also if you have any questions or concerns then please just PM me. Keep up the amazing writing.

From DreamingForever
Last edited by EnchantedPanda on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:06 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Cheeto, ilu Cheeto.

I’m kind of in love with this. It’s just so dang cute, Cheeto. And it works as a metaphor for love and loss and hope all at the same time, and it just makes me happy to read it. And it takes a lot to make me happy while reading something. There are places where you can improve your flow. And really, my going through and picking out words for you to change won’t do much. It’ll take you reading it aloud. That’s what it takes for me.

Er, I’m unsure how you’ll take this, but this flowed like prosaic poetry to me. And I think that’s why I loved it so much. But right.

“The pale morning sunlight falls” can be cut down. Really, you could cut it down to just ‘sunlight falls’ and I’d be happy. “The pale morning” doesn’t help your flow or description.

“There is/are but a few clouds” is a subject-verb deal to fix.

“Though like a ray of sunlight in a dark overcast day” is pretty darn cliché. Turn that phrase around and make it fresher. For me? Kthnx.

As far as content goes, you’ve nailed it. I mean, you’ve left me just nit-picking things that you’d catch in a read-through. Even the way you used one single word of dialogue. It made me happy. Just. I don’t even.

If you want, we can discuss this later. I’m sure I’ll be more coherent then.

-Lumi

Edit:

Darling

I have this copyrighted, so says Dreamwalker.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:47 pm
View Likes
MaryJaneStallheizer says...

Wow this is just a stunning piece of work. I was in love with every part of this short story. Words can't describe how beautiful and elegant this is. Never ever stop writing!

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:57 pm
Fatima says...

you take a simple piece of writing, a really simple topic and uncomplicated style of writing..
I'd expect it to be not all that awesome. But I was clearly astonished how i couldn't stop reading it once i started.
You took a topic almost everyone is familiar with, and turned it into a piece of art.
This work deserves to be featured.
thumbs up:)!

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon