z

Young Writers Society

The ongoing Adventures of Bib Fickle

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:52 pm
Sachiko says...

This brilliant idea was given to me last night at approximately 12:16 in the evening. Hence, I was tired, giddy, and I'm surprised my spelling was even up to par. Crits welcome, even though this thing is full of crack. XD

-----

Bib Fickle was an average man who lived an average life. That is, if you excused the fact that he lived on an asteroid.

Yes, due to an unfortunate accident in Bib’s childhood, involving a slingshot and a large bag of rocks, he now lived on an asteroid with his trusty polka dot umbrella Prokaryote. Why was it named Prokaryote? Simply because it was the very last thing Bib studied before the “slingshot incident.”

But yes, he lived an average life on his asteroid, surviving on asteroid cheese and pretzel sticks, and spending his days talking to Prokaryote about important subjects, such as “Why are my toes blue in the afternoon, and not in the evening at around 9:30 EST time?” Or, “How come I only sneeze twice in a row, and not twenty-three and 5/8 times?” It was a rather enjoyable existence.

Until one day, when something very strange happened.

A magical portal opened up in Bib’s asteroid cheese.

He stared at it for a moment, wondering if he were possibly under the influence of some off pretzel stick batter, or something. He prodded it with his finger. It squeaked and wiggled and moved from the cheese to his trouser leg, where it sat. He prodded it again, and this time, instead of moving, it sat there and made a noise that sounded like, “boooooooooooooingdoooooomyah!!”

Bib fickle quickly sat up and grabbed Prokaryote.

“Hello?” he inquired, clutching his umbrella to him tightly.

The portal quivered for a moment, and then a little creature pranced out.
If you had asked Bib what he thought the creature looked like, he would have said, “Oh, I don’t know. It may resemble a cross between a green banana, a toadstool, and a toaster. Except it has feelers.”

And in this particular case, that was exactly what it was.

The banana/toadstool/toaster creature stood there, and blinked its great eyes at Bib. Bib blinked back. This blinking contest continued until Bib slowly reached down, lifted up a bit of the asteroid cheese, and offered it to the creature.

The thing flipped out.

Squeaking high pitched gibberish nonsense, it raised tiny arms, and would have jumped onto Bib’s face had he not raised his umbrella and let it latch onto that instead.

The banana/toadstool/toaster creature opened its mouth and gripped the cloth of the umbrella with it’s sharp little fangs. Making vicious squeaking noises, it tossed its head back and forth, until a large “riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip”ing noise was heard.

Bib Fickle stood there in absolute shock.

The thing was standing on the ground, it’s little arms flailing through the air, a square of Prokaryote’s polka dotted cloth in its mouth.

Bib’s mouth opened and closed. So would have the creatures were it not absolutely focused on tasting the umbrella cloth.

It then turned tail and ran, making little hysteric laughing noises.

Bib let out a terrified little “Oh!” and ran after it, keeping sure to hold Prokaryote above his head, to keep him from further harm.

The banana/toadstool/toaster creature ran all over the asteroid, waving its little arms and squealing, as Bib ran after it. Until, that is, he tripped over his box of pretzel sticks. Then he fell over.

The creature shrieked with glee, and ran over. Bib could see his face reflected in the green tinny side of the toaster part.

A sudden curiosity struck Bib. He reached out and picked up a piece of asteroid cheese. He then put it into the slots on the creature’s back, and pushed the lever.

The thing fell over.

Bib blinked, and poked it with the umbrella. It did not stir.

He quickly picked the thing up by its tiny little arm, and brought it over to the magic portal. He then tried to push it back through the portal.

Unfortunately, things usually don’t work out that way.

Instead of just peacefully going back through the magic portal to banana/toadstool/toaster land, the thing fell back onto the asteroid.

And was promptly followed by 1,000 more.

Bib stared at the mass of shiny, flailing, squeaking banana/toadstool/toaster creatures, and wondered about Prokaryote’s safety.

One of the little monstrosities managed to climb out of the dog pile, and totter over to a box of pretzel sticks. Imagining the worst, Bib fickle raised Prokaryote and closed his eyes.

But then he opened them a crack, because he just had to see what was going to happen!

The creature stood over the box of pretzel sticks, poking them with its tiny green finger. It picked one up, and sniffed it, then hesitantly took a bite.

Suddenly, the little banana/toadstool/toaster creature thing exploded into many little banana/toadstool/toaster creature things.

Bib Fickle began to cry.

He sat down on the ground and cried his little heart out. What had happened to his simple existence? He had been so happy until these little things had come. And his dear, poor, Prokaryote, with its hole!

Oh, the humanity!

What will happen to Bib Fickle? What about the banana/toadstool/toaster things? Will there ever be a soap that tastes like chicken pastrami?! UNTIL NEXT TIME!
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:59 pm
Prokaryote says...

I endorse this thread and its contents.

Prokaryote

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:05 am
Aet Lindling says...

I vote this thread for '08 and have never had or smelled chicken pastrami, and am thus intrigued by the notion of chicken pastrami scented soap!

Aet Lindling.

And I lied.

I do not vote this thread for '08.

>_>

<_<

Theodolous the platypus '08.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

:shock:

:shock:

That was intense.

[spoiler]Grammar and First Impressions

This is a very general blah line-by-line. Mainly on commas. I can easily get more specific if you'd like me to. ^^

Yes, due to an unfortunate accident in Bib’s childhood, [no comma] involving a slingshot and a large bag of rocks, he now lived on an asteroid with his trusty polka-dot umbrella, Prokaryote.

But yes, he lived an average life on his asteroid, surviving on asteroid cheese and pretzel sticks, [no comma] and spending his days talking to Prokaryote about important subjects, [no comma] such as “Why are my toes blue in the afternoon, and not in the evening at around 9:30 EST time?” [s]Or, [/s] or “How come I only sneeze twice in a row, and not twenty-three and 5/8 times?”

XDD

Until one day, [no comma] when something very strange happened.

He stared at it for a moment, wondering if he were possibly under the influence of some off pretzel stick batter, [no comma] or something.

It squeaked and wiggled and moved from the cheese to his trouser leg, [no comma] where it sat.

“Hello?” he inquired, clutching his umbrella [s]to him[/s] tightly.

The portal quivered for a moment, [no comma] [s]and then[/s] before a little creature pranced out.

The banana/toadstool/toaster creature stood there, [no comma] and blinked its great eyes at Bib.

Squeaking high-pitched gibberish nonsense, it raised its [?] tiny arms, [no comma] and would have jumped onto Bib’s face had he not raised his umbrella and let it latch onto that instead.

The banana/toadstool/toaster creature opened its mouth and gripped the cloth of the umbrella with [s]it’s[/s] its sharp little fangs. Making vicious squeaking noises, it tossed its head back and forth, [no comma] until a large “riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip”ing noise was heard.

The thing was standing on the ground, [s]it’s[/s] its little arms flailing through the air, a square of Prokaryote’s polka-dotted cloth in its mouth.

So would have the creature's were it not absolutely focused on tasting the umbrella cloth.

Bib let out a terrified little “Oh!” and ran after it, keeping sure to hold Prokaryote above his head, [no comma] to keep him from further harm.

The banana/toadstool/toaster creature ran all over the asteroid, waving its little arms and squealing, [no comma] as Bib ran after it.

The creature shrieked with glee, [no comma] and ran over.

He then put it into the slots on the creature’s back, [no comma] and pushed the lever.

Bib blinked, [no comma] and poked it with the umbrella.

He quickly picked the thing up by its tiny little arm, [no comma] and brought it over to the magic portal.

Bib stared at the mass of shiny, flailing, squeaking banana/toadstool/toaster creatures, [no comma] and wondered about Prokaryote’s safety.

One of the little monstrosities managed to climb out of the dog pile, [no comma] and totter over to a box of pretzel sticks.

But then he opened them a crack, [no comma] because he just had to see what was going to happen!

He had been so happy until these little things had come. And his dear, poor, [no comma] Prokaryote, [no comma] with its hole!

Overall

There are some sentence structure issues that can be fixed as well. I'm just too tired to point them out, haha. I'll come back at your request. ^^

That was hysterical. XD I laughed so hard. My stuff written late at night are never grand and usually make people's eyes bleed. This was just funny.

I am very curious about the chicken pastrami soap.[/spoiler]

Jabber, the One and Only!

[spoiler]**Edit I'm sooo gonna fix my crit. ^_^

He prodded it again, and this time, instead of moving, it sat there and made a noise that sounded like, “boooooooooooooingdoooooomyah!!”

One exclamation point is sufficient. :wink:

Underlined: OO That's sooo looong. Reduce the letter count to about three (the number I would do). Boooingdooomyah. ^_^

Making vicious squeaking noises, it tossed its head back and forth, until a large “riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip”ing noise was heard.

Again, I'm thinking riiip is good enough here. And I would italicize the rip part of it instead of putting it in quotes 'cause that's just too awkward. Like so: Ripping. ^_^

Bib let out a terrified little “Oh!” and ran after it, keeping sure to hold Prokaryote above his head, to keep him from further harm.

This is kind of run-on-ish. ^^;

Until, that is, he tripped over his box of pretzel sticks.

Ew. Get rid of that is. It disrupts the flow, and the suspense is kaputt. ^^

I'd also suggest breaking up the sentence previous to this one and joining that part with this or something. 'Cause the previous sentence is run-on compared to this fragment. ^^

Then he fell over.

I've noticed you say then a lot. Try to avoid that, or your reader will get sick of reading. ^^ But I would just get rid of this sentence. In the previous one, you already said that he tripped. The reader assumes he fell over unless he caught himself, in which case please state. XD But unless this sentence has another purpose besides suspense ('cause I'm not getting any suspense), then just get rid of it. ^^

It did not stir.

Clunky. Use didn't. It'll work so much better. ^_^

Overall

I read this a second time, and I still laugh really hard. XD[/spoiler]
I make my own policies.

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:01 am
tgirly says...

I liked this a lot. It made me laugh. It seems like something my friend Savannah would say, but then it also kinda reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Very good. I don't really have any critiques, it's hard to critique something like this that's so... random! But, there are some places that you forgot to capitalize Bib Fickle's last name. Great piece.
-tgirly
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening