z

Young Writers Society

Drowning

1737 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1737
Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 am
BluesClues says...

He twiddles with the gold band on his left-hand ring finger as he stares into his empty glass, twisting the engagement ring round and round without thinking about it. He can feel the alcohol start to seep through his mind, distorting his thoughts. He wants it to move faster and let him forget. Alcohol is the only way.

“Refill, Dan?” the bartender asks.

Without thinking, he affirms it. The bartender slams down another glass of beer and leaves him alone again.

His reflection in the dark, rain-beaten window catches his attention: Exhausted, down-trodden. Several days’ worth of black stubble covers his jawbone and cheeks, and his hair is rumpled. He takes off his glasses, rubs his eyes, and sips his beer. He feels old.

Suddenly a voice rings in his head, Leah’s voice the day his brother died. He’d been drinking then, too, bottle after bottle of beer.

“Please, Dan, put the bottle down,” she’d begged.

“It’s not a bottle,” he murmurs into his glass.

“Please. You can get through this.”

He shakes his head.

“I can’t,” he says, “not without you.”

Someone claps him on the shoulder. Putting his glasses back on, he looks up. It’s a paunchy man he recognizes from some of the countless parties he’s been to. The name evades him.

“Dan?” the man says. “I heard what happened to Leah, Dan. I’m real sorry. She was a good kid.”

His throat constricts. He nods but says nothing. The man pats Dan’s shoulder awkwardly and meanders off to play pool.

Dan hunches over the bar and covers his face with his hands, “guitar hands,” Leah called them. She said hers were piano hands.

I heard what happened to Leah. He gulps down half his beer in sudden desperation. His fault. If he hadn’t gotten drunk at that last party – if she hadn’t driven to pick him up—

He remembers sitting at a table in a dimly-lit basement, long after everyone else had driven home or staggered upstairs to crash for the night, while one of his more sober friends stood over him, repeatedly asking, “Do you want me to call a cab?”

“I called Leah,” Dan said. “She’s coming.”

Over and over and over again, for three hours, he assured everyone who asked that he had a ride. Until the call came from one of Leah’s friends, he never doubted that she would be there.

“Leah’s in the hospital!” The voice on the phone sounded tinny, distant, frightened. “She’s asking for you.”
In that moment his world collapsed, spinning out of control with far more resolve than it had ever done when he’d gotten wasted.

He stared at the receiver dumbly for a moment before asking in a hoarse voice, “What happened?”

Given his inebriated condition, the hospital staff were reluctant to let him in to see her, but they finally admitted him anyways.

Bruises and blood covered Leah’s face, but she smiled when she saw him. Dan fell to his knees beside her and gripped her hands. He tried to smile back at her. He couldn’t.

“Leah,” he said. His voice barely came out. He coughed and tried again. “Leah,” he said, “I love you. God, I love you, Leah! You know that, right?”

She closed her eyes.

“Jesus Christ,” he mutters, and he guzzles down the rest of his beer. He can’t get that picture out of his head, the image of Leah dying in the hospital bed. The beer isn’t helping tonight. His every thought leads back to Leah.

He remembers the way she would stand outside during thunderstorms and laugh as torrents of rain drenched her ginger hair, the way her hazel eyes brightened when she’d been crying, the way she would take his hands and make him dance with her anywhere the impulse seized her, the way she seemed to be biting back a smile whenever he was upset by something trivial. He remembers coming home from wild parties at three in the morning, sick with drinking, and how she’d suddenly be kneeling next to him, rubbing his back and singing softly to him as he puked into the downstairs toilet. He still doesn’t understand why she had done that for him. What she’d seen in him.

He asked her, once. She had been sitting at her piano, tinkering with some chords, and he’d been cross-legged on the floor with his guitar in his lap. He strummed notes at random, but his mind was on his most recent hangover. Looking up at Leah, he asked, “Why are you with me?”

She looked surprised for a moment, but then she smiled.

“Because,” she said, “I love you.”

And she twirled away to the kitchen to make lunch.

“’Nother refill?” the bartender grunts.

Dan nods wearily. He stares into the new glass and sees his reflection gazing back at him from the amber liquid.

“Why?” he asks. “Why did you love me?”

He keeps staring into his glass, but it gives him no answer. He sighs and drinks again. Something inside him hurts. His lungs, maybe. Like he can’t get enough air, no matter how deeply he breathes.

“What happened?” he whispers. “What happened, Leah?”

This time he doesn’t look to his beer for answers. He knows what happened.

Only two blocks from the party, on her way to pick him up, she’d been hit by a drunk driver – another guest from the same party, on his way home for the night. Dan went crazy waiting for a cab to come for him, though it arrived within ten minutes of his frenzied call. The cabbie, already speeding, couldn’t drive fast enough, and Dan cursed him up one side and down the other before realizing that Leah never would have done it. He spent the rest of the cab ride alternating between guilt for shouting at his driver and anxiety for Leah. By way of apology, he gave the cabbie ten dollars over what he owed for the ride before sprinting into the hospital and forgetting about everything except his injured fiancée.

He knows what happened. His fault.

“Oh my God,” he whispers. He cradles his head in his hands as tears slide down his face. He’s ashamed of them, but he can’t stop them. The feeling in his lungs is bigger now, overwhelming. He has no lungs, only a swollen heart that feels like it’s about to burst. Frantically he empties his glass, tries to drown the feeling with alcohol. The bartender leaves him another beer without asking if he’d like one. Dan swallows half of it, but it’s not enough tonight, it’s not enough. Nothing is enough. He throws a wad of bills on the counter and escapes the bar, stumbling out in the streets, in the rain, hardly knowing where he’s headed.

The rain soaks his shirt and runs down his back in cold rivulets. Three blocks from the bar, a wave of nausea sweeps over him. He stops on a bridge and leans over the side to puke, but nothing comes up. He stands there alone, bent over the guard rail and breathing heavily, staring into the river. The water shines yellow in the light of the streetlamp beside him and ripples as raindrops break its surface. It captivates him, the river. It flows out to the lake undisturbed, strong and determined and peaceful, no matter what happens. He stares at it for another minute, open-mouthed, his eyes vacant, and then, before he realizes what he’s doing, he climbs onto the guard rail, one hand grasping the streetlamp for support.

He doesn’t jump immediately. He keeps staring into the river. Suicide has not actually entered his conscious thought. He just wants to feel the way the river must feel, careless and free. Peaceful. He wants to flow onward and not think and not worry about the fact that he’s downed nine beers tonight and they haven’t made him forget yet. His foot slips. He clings tighter to the streetlamp, but in another moment some part of him has decided. He lets go of the streetlamp.

In the moment before he hits the water, he sees Leah smiling at him.
Last edited by BluesClues on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 am
PinkPanther says...

Wow. That was very good. Not that I would encourage anyone to do that to themselves, but that was throughly heart-felt. A good story makes you feel something and this one deffinitely made me feel something. I've read lots of stories of this type, but this one had me on the verge of tears. Nice jod.
And by the way- I hope you don't speak from experience!;)
The strong mind can confront lies and illusions without being lost. The strong heart can withstand the poison of hatred without being harmed.

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am
MadameLuxestrange says...

I really loved this! The only thing I really had trouble with was understanding where the story was taking place. I felt like you didn't separate the flashbacks very well from the present. Other than that, I thought that your writing voice was beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Cheers,
Luxe
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 am
tommyknocker says...

Hey there!

Wow, I haven't been on YWS for such a long time!

Anyway, to the story at hand. I thought you did a good job of capturing the feelings and thoughts of the man. So well done in that aspect.

I will say this though, through the middle I kind of got lost. It's something to do with the flashbacks, could you possibly find some way of making it a little bit smoother in transition.

And in my opinion, ( I don't know what other 's think) but I reckon you should introduce the fact sooner,that she was killed by a car and not by him personally. Because that was what I thought until....Well I read that part.

Anyhow, good work on the emotion of the character. And it was quite sad.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 pm
mikepyro says...

and his hair is rumpled - I'd cut this line, doesn't add much and is a continuation of a already linked line.

, “guitar hands - Change the comma to a period. It flows better.

the hospital staff were reluctant to let him in to see her, but they finally admitted him anyways - , but admitted him anyways

he guzzles down the rest of his beer - cut the HE, already stated in first part

He has no lungs, only a swollen heart that feels like it’s about to burst. - I'd cut the line, too close to cliche for this.

I'd end with just "he sees leih smiling." instead of "smiling at him"

It's a very good piece. I loved the structure, and the fact that it flowed so naturally without stumbling over itself or confusing the reader. The emotion is palpable, and you give insight and depth to both leih and the MC through action rather than specifically stating it, which is always a plus. It's end, while fairly expected, is executed well. I loved the way you described the moments before the jump, honestly I admit I felt a little moved.

I love to focus on the idea of loss in my stories (not all serious), it's a subject I've used in several short stories I've put up here, and whenever someone puts another story of that ilk I find them bland, unoriginal, dare I say whiny, but this captured loss emotionally, but also in an original way of presentation and voice.

I really liked it. Well done!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm
Wolfdra says...

You, my friend, were successful in actually making me cry. I've read only a few that are actually able to do that. I applaude you.

I liked how you did the contrast of his emotions, and how deep it was. I didn't have problems picking out the flashbacks form the present. There are a few things that I would change, but it's really a wonderful piece. It draws you in and you connect with him deeply, you can tell how painful it was to him. It's sad at the end, but I think it was a good way to close it.

As I said, you made me cry, something few have done. I loved it.

Keep on Writing

~ Wolfy.
"'Death happens,' as we like to say. 'And when I get paid for it, death happens more often.'"

"La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken."

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each of them lies an irreparable truth."

Rest in peace, Harry. <3

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 pm
guineapiggirl says...

Hmm...
OK.
So he just goes and kills himself. That's not very plausible. This story made me feel sick with contempt. I seriously hated it.
And that's not just because I'm angry. It was miserable. Very miserable. I agree that the flashbacks and the normal bits were badly separated. I didn't like your character at all. I couldn't feel any empathy towards him. Despite the lack of plausibility, I was quite relieved when he went and killed himself. I couldn't stand any more of his moaning. I wasn't keen on Leah either.
A good point was the river description.

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek