z

Young Writers Society

I hate my father

Reviews: 2
Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 am
Bellaxx says...

I hate my father. I hate what he’s done and I will never forgive him.
---
Stacey was my best friend. We loved each other just as much as best friends should. I always knew that at her home, something was wrong. She never invited me over. She never talked about her home or family. Only last year I found out her dad was in a gang. It didn’t really bother me much, out of naivety.

It was weird. I’d never really known my father before that day he turned up at our door. Needed a place to stay, he said. He looked fierce, shabby. If it hadn’t been my father, she would have shut the door. But typical Mum. She can never let go of the past. She opened up the door.

My father was in a gang as well; our neighbourhood was full of them. I didn’t know how or why, but he was. The difficult part was, he wasn’t in Stacey’s Dad’s gang.
He was the enemy.

Stacey’s Dad was killed. Her mother fled and she was so, so alone. She forgot I was there. Nobody could have known it was so bad. She didn’t tell a soul.

Stacey committed suicide last August.

I knew it was him. The evidence was everywhere.
He’d taken me by surprise by knowing the family.
“Family friends,” he’d lied to me.
He wasn’t at home the night it happened. He came back one night later, before I knew. As soon as I found out, he was gone.

---

I open the door and he’s standing there. All the rage and fury that’s been built up, I just unleash it there and then. I scream unforgiveable words, lash out at him. I want to make him pay for what he did.
“I’ll kill you!” I scream, “You’re a dead man!”
He just stands there. And takes all my abuse. A silent tear runs down his unshaven cheek.
“You don’t understand,” he says.
“That is a horrid, horrid excuse for murder!” I yell and slam the door in his face.
He catches the door, opens it and looks at me, appalled, shocked and mildly confused.
“I’ve never murdered anyone,” he claims, “Babe, I’m a double agent. I was trying to protect him. I was on their side.”
The guilt and confusion overwhelms me and I’m gone, on the floor.

When I wake up he’s there, his face loving, caring, kind. This man I barely know, I know I may never forgive him, truly, in my heart, for the grief is so strong. But I’ll try. Hopefully, in time, I’ll know him, I’ll love him, and I’ll be proud to call him… my Father.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 am
View Likes
summerlovee says...

Ok I get this is meant to be emotional but
this is too fast paced, I mean it doesn't describe anything.
Also I don't think a father would say 'babe' to his daughter
and especially if they are having a heart to heart screaming contest xD
Other than that I like the whole plot of the story (:
<3
Linger on, your pale blue eyes

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:56 am
Doxie00 says...

Wow. I jsut loved it ! It was a litte confusing at first thoug..try making your writing clearer next time and add more details to make it even more interesting :) Btw, i dont agree with summerlove...OFCOURSE dads call their daughters 'babe' and what's more? it wasnt actually a fight 'cause it was only the girl shouting at her father...he didn't shout back did he? He was actually trying to cool her down and make her understand the truth.

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm
Ashley529 says...

I like the conflict in your story. It's very interesting. But I will have to agree with the above statement, the pace is to fast. If you look at the content of the story and the factors involved, you'll see there's alot to play with. If you should rewrite this with that in mind, your story would be tripple the size.

Stacey committed suicide last August.
This line is my favourite because it has the punch you intended it to have.

Hed taken me by surprise by knowing the family
I know what you meant with this line but it could be confusing. I think you need to rephrase that sentence.

My father was in a gang as well; our neighbourhood was full of them. I didnt know how or why, but he was. The difficult part was, he wasnt in Staceys Dads gang.
Since gangs play an importent role in your story, I suggest you tell us more about these gangs. What type of gangs live in your neighbourhood? Why is it a bad thing to be in these gangs? Are people scared of these gangs? Why?

Babe, Im a double agent.
This is not appropriate.

Overall, The story was entertaining.

Keep it up.

1504 Reviews

Reviews: 1504
Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm
IcyFlame says...

Agree with all the comments; it has the potential to be really good but it's way too fast! Also the ending,
Bellaxx wrote:“Babe, I’m a double agent. I was trying to protect him. I was on their side.”

Why would he confess something so big so quickly? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:53 am
JimmyTheMighty says...

I know the context of this - and you know I like it! Well done Bella, I've read it before obviously, but I do like this :D

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor