z

Young Writers Society

When Your mind Cries

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:22 am
inlovewithquill says...

Hey, i'm new here, but i always loved to write. This is something i just started to write and hope to finish pretty soon .Hope you'll like it.
Mother started to behave oddly. Not if she’s ever been fond of flying, but today she appeared to be particularly afraid. But maybe it was because this happened to be the first time we flew over the ocean.
Tiny droplets on her oxygen mask grew bigger and a worry that she might suffocate herself swelled inside of my heart. I grabbed her mask and pulled it off.
“We’re almost there, mother, you may relax.”
But she just could not relax, she would not. Her hands clenched in fists, as usual, frightened expression upon her face. I believed her thoughts were more intimidating at the moment than the reality, and it was her mind that completely crashed her health. Mind can kill, I thought, mind is the most vicious part of a human.
“We’ll crash,” my mother whispered, her whole body shaking.
Normally, I would not listen to these words. I just wouldn’t take them too seriously, because she always talked about crashing and a sudden fall while was on a plane, but today something was different, my mother was not just afraid; she seemed to be extremely terrified of that flight. That gave me a terrible feeling as if something bad was about to happen. Nevertheless, I stayed in my chair and tried to relax as I knew my ideas wouldn’t suggest anything good. I turned my face away from my mother’s, because it was just beyond my abilities to see her being in so much pain.
There was a sudden jerk from the outside and a moment later I found myself under a number of bags and different kind of luggage. I tried to move but could not, something heavy fell on me and pressed my legs to the ground. I started to feel pain spreading across my back side. My head felt too heavy to turn around. The lights went on and off every two seconds, I tried to cover my eyes with my free hand, but soon the lights didn’t matter, because my head filled with heart-rending scream made by people who in attempt of saving themselves paced up and down. My whole body sensed their steps, their up and down motion which pushed the plane even more downwards. I have made an attempt for freeing myself once again, but the bags and boxes I was under were too heavy for me to lift. I was doomed. I shut my eyes tight and a feeling of soon death made my eyes moisten. Where could my mother be? Could she be safe without me, having no other protection but a wheelchair? Will she miss me if she'd survive?
While I was thinking the plane started to accelerate towards the ground...down...down...so quick...with such a confidence. It was too soon I realized that it's time to say good-bye.
"God-bye, Katherine," I managed to mumble. "You've been a good human for the past twenty years. I wish you luck on heaven," saying so I closed my eyes and prepared to die. But death was the thing I could not make myself ready for and the sickening feeling of nervousness took over my immobile body.
BAM! The noise informed me of the plane just being crashed. Suddenly all the moans I heard before died away, and then fell silence. The darkness stood before my eyes...no living spot appeared to face them.
By the feel of their warmth and tenderness I could sense as some woman's hands pressed me hard to the floor which appeared to be strangely soft and so narrow I was afraid to roll to the other side of it.
By the sudden stiffness of my body I understood it was over. I thought I was losing it...the life I've become so attached to...to breathe became an issue and then my mouth and nose were covered with something that felt like a mask. So breathe I could, or maybe I was just starting a new journey...now without my body.

I couldn’t recall if the dead could feel, but in any case I wished they did not sense anything as I found myself being in almost unbearable pain, my body heated to the extreme point. Furthermore, I’ve never pictured Heaven as a small white room, which smelt strongly of something sweet and at the same time bitter and thick enough to make one sick, I had a feeling I’ve been there before. But when? I thought it was quite impossible for a person to die twice, otherwise none of us would be real, we would all be either angels or memories of the past.
I looked around the place, my eyes traveling from one object to another. What is this item? I asked myself looking at the clear bag filled up with liquid. What a strange place, I thought, nothing like heaven. But I’ve been there before and I knew that. Yes, I was five or six at the time and required a surgery on…my brain. Suddenly I remembered what it all was about, I had a brain transplant, I was required to have one. But why? Why? I couldn’t tell. And why would I be operated on heaven? Whose silly idea was that? I didn’t know.
The next moment one of the angels (or who I thought were angels) swept across the room and neared my soul, the angel then whipped my cloud tenderly and moving its gaze onto me, asked in a rather raspy voice, “Awake then?”
I’ve risen myself a little and replied with the innocence of a child, “I cannot be awake since I’m dead and it is known that a soul has eternal rest on heaven after it parts the body.”
“No, no,” the angel replied. “You aren’t dead, can’t you see? You have survived the plane crash, you one of the few who managed to make it after it fell.”
Everything in my head went misty. If I didn’t die why don’t I remember what happened prior to the time I came here? So I was on a plane then and it fell. And I survived. I lived now. But it didn’t make sense if a plane crashed it should’ve taken my life along with the lives of others passengers, or at least I should’ve been injured really badly, while I couldn’t find a broken bone in any of my joints, not even a scar cut across my skin, not even a tiny scratch, although I was hurting, I couldn’t move a muscle as I was too sore…but it didn’t really matter now that I’ve heard the shocking news. I survived and didn’t even know why, and now I wondered whether I should live at all. I was given an opportunity of a sudden death and I didn’t accept it. Was it for the better? I cannot tell, but something kept whispering inside me that this life isn’t going to be a reminder of the previous one…I should have died, entered my mind suddenly. I should have.
“What is your name?” the angel, whom I later discovered was a nurse, asked.
What is my name? How could it possibly happen that I couldn’t find a proper answer to this question? I had one title in my mind, the one that was called Amelia, but was it really my name remained a mystery, I could bet anything at the moment that it didn’t belong to me, but somehow I couldn’t think of any other names, so I appeared to have a lack of an option.
“Amelia,” I said out loud, wincing at the sound of the name.
“Okay, Amelia. Very pretty name, by the way. So listen to me carefully and if possible try not to ask any questions while I’m talking,” the nurse trailed off, probably awaiting for my agreement.
“I’m listening,” I nodded my head slightly.
“When you’ve been carried out of the plane I had very little hope that you’ll live, about half of your flesh was missing and you were unconscious, and you’re barely breathing. I was truly scared for you the moment I first met your tortured self. You needed to be repaired and you were, you owe a life to the doctors who cured you. About 70% of your skin was replaced and you underwent several particularly significant surgeries such as brain transplantation and blood transfusion. And believe me, sweetheart, you are nothing like this piece of bloody flesh which you were just a while ago, I’m so happy you’re absolutely fine now.”
She finished her last sentence and shot a curious glance at my features. I did not return the stare, I did not move either, didn’t dare to move, rather, as it came to the conclusion that everything I had now wasn’t at any rate belonging to me. The only items that I truly knew were mine appeared to be my soul and my mind. But what were these things now, amended to their extreme point? My soul became rebellious, rejecting the newly formed body, and my mind wasn’t even present, as I’ve had no memories of the past in my possession, they all seemed to have evaporated after the story of my miraculous survival was told.
The liquid’s tiny drops fell freely from the needle, sending the reviving materials to the blood of a tiny girl whom everybody believed was dead. She didn’t die however, although she needed to go through very complicated and rather life-threatening things. Her head had been bandaged and her little hands lay upon her blanket motionlessly, red with blood, thin with starvation. The lids of her big innocent eyes were closed as she slept, for already two and a half weeks. No one managed to keep the hope that she’d ever wake up and they secretly wished she would at least live in her long-term dream. Not everyone knew, however, that this girl craved for the living in her dream and her dream only, as she believed that everyone should be free to make their own choices. She believed that life wasn’t easy and that it needed to be simplified by the event of death. She believed that if this event didn’t occur sooner or later one needed to do something about it and get a free access to his desires. One was required to know that such thoughts occurred to a five-year-old child whose memory was now lost once and for all as her mind was taken out, together with her simply complicated little brain.
I cast my eyes up to face the ceiling. If I needed to die I would, a brief thought flew across my mind, but if I was given one more chance to live I shouldn’t forget that it isn’t about joy but about pain which will be granted to me by my fate with the intention of teaching me a lesson of great fight and thus a continued existence.
it's just the first chapter, so let me know if you want to read more and i will post my next chapters here.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec