z

Young Writers Society

Grrrrr i'm pissed at some people on here

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:29 am
Joeducktape says...

Hello, deary! I can see that many people have already said their piece on here. (Hehe. Like I wasn't expecting that.) However, I still want to comment on this.

I've seen many stories on YWS that were posted with very poor grammar. Sure, more often than not, you can tell what they mean, but it still makes it harder on the reader. Bad grammar takes away from the clarity of the story. People miss the point of the story because they're too busy re-reading sloppily arranged sentences.

As for spelling, I really feel like there's no excuse for more than one or two spelling mistakes in a piece. All it takes is a few moments to run something through Word, or the built-in spell check on YWS, to find those.

Shar Shar, grammar is an important part of literature. It completes your writing. Ignoring it isn't really an option.

Moreover, on here, people are going to assume you don't know what your grammar mistakes are unless you say otherwise. Personally, I think if you know there are mistakes you should take the time and courtesy to polish it with a re-read and spell check. I myself am no grammar nazi, and I certainly need some help with sentence structure, but I'm not going to leave it un-checked just because I'm no expert.

That's just what I think. :wink:
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:03 am
Fishr says...

EDIT:

Well, eh... time for coffee. Getting Wiggy mixed up with Joe is - I think I'm in dire need of rest, LOL!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:03 am
Pushca says...

What my built in Firefox spell check caught:

Ok
dont
abunch
grammer
Grammer
grammer
writting
poeple

Come now.

"I dont need abunch of comments telling me my grammer sucks."

Apparently, you do.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:06 am
JC says...

Well, I see all of you have noticed that somebody's ranted. That much is true, but seriously, do you have to put salt in the wound?

Pusha- Grammer checking her complaint about people being nitpicky about grammer? That's just wrong.

I've got an idea, how about instead of getting mad at her for being mad, how about go and critique something to help out.

Don't antagonize those who feel antagonized, it's not nice.

And Shaw- rant's usually go like this. Posting to tell people you're upset usually makes people feel like they have the need to do exactly what you say you hate. It's this weird human nature thing.

Just keeping the peace,
-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 am
Alteran says...

Well, I'll just say this. Your gettimg mad over nothing. You posted your work and we did what we do: critique.

That is the point of this site. If you had said you wanted a critique on your content over your technical skill you would have most likely got what you wanted.

Of course, by now I'm sure you'll never return. Hope you do decide to continue on YWS.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:16 am
Firestarter says...

I'm going to lock this topic.

A lot of people have just jumped on the poster. JCobsesed at least has some sense.

To the original poster: you'll find posting rants never helps. If you're having trouble with something, contact one of the Moderators and they should be able to help.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom