z

Young Writers Society

Huge Explosion On Sun

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 am
Nate says...

From The Capital Weather Gang (a local DC weather blog):

The Space Weather Prediction Center is now saying the most likely scenario is just a glancing blow (G1 minor levels) from the solar storm around 8 a.m on June 9 lasting 24 hours. However, it does still indicate a small (25-30%) chance of a major-severe geomagnetic storm. Note: the state of the art is such that we’ll not know for sure until just 10-12 minutes whether the event will definitely occur - about comparable to the warning time for tornadoes, but the effects if any could be felt worldwide from mid-to-high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.

More here and awesome video:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... ather-gang

An even awesomer video:
http://www.thesuntoday.org/current-obse ... socks-off/

Just to note, the mid to high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere includes the entire United States, the most populated parts of Canada, all of the UK, and all of Europe. If a severe geo-magnetic storm does develop as a result of the sun's solar flare, there could be widespread power outages (although it seems pretty unlikely). Still, I'll be taking the time to fully backup all of YWS onto a thumb drive just in case.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:45 pm
Vettan says...

Thank you for the post. I just found out about this from my morning news. Apparently the frequency and intensity of sun flares will rise until 2013. In 2013, as predicted by NASA, there will be a massive Sun flare.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.

Reviews: 3
Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:04 pm
View Likes
feodora says...

I don't know what all a sun flare could do, and I know it isn't going to be nice, but still. :D The Middle East is safe.

Nate.
You don't mean to say the entire YWS fits on a thumb drive! xD
Reviews for cookies! You know you want one. (Whether it's cookies or reviews you want is up to you.) ^^

This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes