The Orchard: March 22nd, 2023

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:07 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Welcome to the Orchard!

A Special NaPo Newsletter

To keep you up to date on your favorite poetry month!

March 22nd Issue: Planting Seeds for NaPo

Table of Contents

A Note From Our Editor...

The days leading up to NaPo are always filled with so much excitement and anticipation. Planning your thread, getting the vibes of it set *just right*, attending pre-NaPo events and review day— it's all just a flurry of activity! Sometimes, it's easy to get lost in it all, set out with early motivation and then crash quickly. Let this newsletter be your guiding light for where to get started in a less harried and hurried manner, as you navigate NaPo 2023! Use this as your stomping ground for all relevant information that might be changing week-to-week as NaPo progresses. For now, we'll be publishing articles to get you set up for success with your 2023 NaPo Garden, but it will very quickly be time to transition into April, with even more articles to offer. I'm so excited that this is something new we can offer YWS during the month of April, focused on engaging our dynamic community in all facets of the site while also celebrating everything that NaPo and YWS poets have to offer.

Whether I see you in the threads, WFPs, April Madness, somewhere out in the forums or Green Room— or even reading this newsletter right now, I'm so glad you're here! Enjoy!

Much Love,

Lady Spark
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:08 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 8.42.20 PM.png

NaPo Garden Center: Information Kiosk

Everything you need to know about planting your NaPo!

Are you new to NaPo?
It can be pretty confusing,
so if this is your first year joining National Poetry Month,
check this article out for more information and details about this awesome month-long event!

First things first, head over to the NaPo Forum! Here you'll find fellow poet's threads, information topics, and other relevant event information. To get started, create your own thread! Give it a super fun name, and if you want to get crazy— maybe a theme! To find out more about how to get started, you can always click on the 2023 NaPo Information thread. In this topic, you can read more about what NaPo is, how to get started, and what bonuses are going to be included on YWS this month to celebrate!

Next, you're going to want to head to Badge Information. In my humble opinion, the 2023 badges are the best NaPo badges we've had yet! Collect as many as you can before the month is over! Badge challenges include finishing NaPo (30 poems/30 days), commenting on other YWSer NaPo threads, and attending Poetry Jams. Can you collect them all?

If you're up to the challenge, check out the April Madness competition and consider joining! This is an awesome March-Madness-esque bracket contest where YWS poets go head to head with their best writing from the month! It's a great way to get involved with the community and show off your killer poetry skills at the same time!

Don't forget to check out what other YWSers have posted so far! The forum is already filling up with many prospective NaPoers, and we're excited for you to join us!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:10 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 8.48.45 PM.png

Gardener's Almanac: Important Reminders

You're not going to want to forget these things!

Are you new to NaPo?
It can be pretty confusing,
so if this is your first year joining National Poetry Month,
check this article out for more information and details about this awesome month-long event!

Events & Dates:
  • There's a poetry jam coming up! These are great to get the juices flowing right before NaNo. This one is on March 25th, and should be a great time! Hosted by @LadySpark and @spatula.
    Don't forget, if you take part in this jam or any others this month, record it so you can earn the 2023 Poetry Jam Badge.

• April Madness takes place during National Poetry Month! The planting window for an April Madness run is small! You only have until April 4th to sign up, and there are a limited number of spots— so if you're interested, head over there and grab your seeds (spot) right away!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:11 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 9.18.14 PM.png

First Blooms

NaPo Forum Sneak Peeks

The NaPo Forums are bustling with busy poetry bees setting up their new threads for 2023. Let's take a look!

One of my favorite things is to check out the threads that are lying quietly in wait for their first sprouts. After careful watering, poeting gardeners can feel confident that their first blooms will be plentiful, colorful, and diverse just like a flower garden. Here are some threads I'm especially excited for this NaPo! Don't worry, we'll be bringing this back every week— we've got too many amazing poets to only do this feature once!

@starshipgirl, my path to the moon and the stories i plan to take with me
Wow, I love the overall tone of this thread! You can tell starship put a lot of work into her graphic design, and it's such a clever take on a very classic image. I'm really excited to see where this imagery takes them!

@Buranko, ink stains and a honey jar
I'm obsessed with how simple this one is. I know this is one to keep my eye on! I feel like there is so many ways this could go, if it's any indication of theme. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Buranko does with this!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:11 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 9.28.45 PM.png

An Orchard Editorial: The Gardening Lessons

Mini Workshop: Goal Setting by @LadySpark

A big part of NaPo is setting goals for yourself. Whether that be one poem a day for 30, or something different— understanding how goal setting works can help you become successful!

When you go to school for psychology, first to get your B.S. and then to get your M.S., you find out a lot about how the brain works when it comes to goal setting and the success or failure of those goals settings. In this editorial, I'm going to take the opportunity to workshop with you all what are some of the factors that can impact if you complete your goal— not just for NaPo, but beyond too! This type of information is so generalizable, you can apply it to any goals you want to set your mind to.

The first factor I think is important to note— mostly because it's the one that always impacts me the most— is you should always set goals that are realistic. Thus, if you're like me and only write poetry when the inspiration strikes you, it might be difficult to sit down and establish a routine of writing a poem every single day for an entire month. The key is, you want your goal to be attainable. Some other factors that really impact goal success are naturally imbedded in NaPo. Which is so awesome for poets! Goals that are measurable and time-based are more likely to be completed. Obviously, we have a lot of accountability baked into the "bread" of NaPo— and it works out great for our goal setting. Additionally, having communal support and peer interaction regarding goals can be incredibly helpful as well— another fantastic element of NaPo on YWS!
Other factors to consider when setting your goals are whether they are specific and relevant. Again, luckily with NaPo, this is part of the experience on YWS. However, next time you're setting a new goal for yourself, you may want to consider these two things. Am I being specific enough with what I want to achieve? Have I outlined that path for myself clearly? Also, is it relevant to me and my other goals and outlook on life? If you're setting a goal in April to write 30 poems, but you also are in graduate school, finishing your thesis, and working 50 hours a week... Well, that might not be the best combination and will require a little more force of will to complete (yes, this is a direct call out on myself, I admit it!).

Other follow-up things you can do to increase your goal success is to make a plan for how you are going to complete your goal. When, where, why, how are great questions to ask. Sometimes, logistics are important to consider. For example, if I know I have daily time during my afternoon to be on my computer, I'm going to factor writing my poem for the day into that time. Additionally, I have a plan for what I'd like to see in my thread. Workshopping poetry, new poetry, plans for other related themes, motifs, or imagery I'd like to work on. That helps me make a game plan when I'm having trouble reaching my goal.

I wish you all luck with your NaPo and future goals! I'll see you again soon for another editorial workshop on writing and psychology.

LadySpark
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady