Camp NaNo '22: All Our Yesterdays

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:07 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 18: 10,184 words

Broke 10k! The night before Cole leaves Minnesota, he and Marcy agree to date. They'll meet again at New Years, at which point Cole will have secured his album deal and been on his way.

I have to say... it's kind of fun writing a true romance.

Spoiler! :
The more time I spent with him, the more I fell for him. On his last night, he took a blanket and we laid outside on the grass to stargaze. It was all very innocent, by the way. We just watched the stars.

At one point, Cole turned to me, his face serious. “Marcy, I know I’m going back tomorrow, but… what do you say to us trying this thing?”

“Like, be your girlfriend?”

“Yeah,” Cole said. “That’s what I want.”

“It’s what I want too…” I trailed off, not sure how it would work when we were far away."

“Listen, if I get this album deal, I’ll go on tour, so I’ll probably be gone a lot anyway… I just want you to know what you’re getting into, so I understand if you don’t want to, and would rather find someone else—”

“Cole.”

He stopped and looked at me. Everything he mentioned was spinning through my mind, but in that moment, it didn’t matter to me. “Yes, I’ll be with you. I’ll be your girlfriend.” 

His smile in that moment made the rest of the world fall away. “I’ll give you my address and my phone and we can talk all the time. And we’ll see each other again soon.” 

“Okay,” I said.

He kissed me, and soon we were making out. But that’s all we did. I promise.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:42 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 19: 10,263 words

Only wrote 84 words today, but it's better than nothing. I will be back at it more tomorrow. Hard to believe we're almost 2/3 of the way through the month.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:27 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 20: 10,968 words

Cole gets his record deal, Marcy reflects on her own artistic interests, Cole and Marcy make plans to meet for New Years and they say the L word.

I'm thinking my final draft will probably be around 20,000 words. I don't know how I'm going to write to the end in the in the next ten days but I will get there. I'm hoping to dedicate a lot of time to this in the next few days.

Spoiler! :
Even though we regularly spoke on the phone and even wrote letters, I was terrified that he was going to meet someone in New York and forget all about me. In the meantime, most of my world kept on world on turning as it always had. Obviously, business at the boat rental wound down into the colder months. As my father went back to his job teaching drama at the local high school, I got a job working as a barista at a coffee shop in town. 
 In my spare time, I worked on my painting. I worked mostly with watercolors, painting mostly landscapes. I thought I had average talent at best, and definitely wasn’t as good as my mother, but it was something I enjoyed and I found fun and it had a calming effect on me. I painted beaches, mountains, jungles, everywhere I thought I might like to go. Since I was painting from something between memory and imagination, they weren’t always realistic, and a little dreamy. Cole’s twenty-first birthday came in September, and I sent him a smaller one, of a jungle to his address. With it, I included a note. “I miss you. Hope this isn’t too bad.”

The next time we spoke, he told me he loved it and had it hanging in his room. “You’re a brilliant painter, Marcy,” he said. “I saw that and thought I was dating the next Monet.”

“You’re saying that…”

“No, you are.” I don’t know if Cole was just biased, but he was the first one that had ever acknowledged my artistic work in such a way. By extension, it made me feel loved, accepted and safe in a way that I hadn’t felt before.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:32 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 21: 11,134 words

There's a lot going on my house today, so it was difficult to get too much writing in. But I'm having some writer's block so I went and got a head start on the ending. Usually for me the cure for WB is to write out of sequence. Even if I don't know what comes immediately next, I know what I want to happen at some point in the story. I can do that, connect the dots, and change as necessary to make it flow better. That way, I have no excuse.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:59 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 22: 12,390 words

Continued working on the last chapter, and wrote through the ending. Hoping now that I have a clear sense of where it's going, I'll be able to go back and write the rest more easily.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:06 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 23: 13,259 words

Marcy goes to visit Cole in New York for New Years, meets his mother and sister at his childhood home, and realizes just how modest Cole's upbringing was compared to her own.

Spoiler! :
Inside the apartment, everything was small and cramped, but I supposed it was cozy. Cozy and very modest. I could tell that while they weren’t poor, they were at least a working class family. Cole had hinted to this over the past couple of months, but it was another thing to see the place where he’d grown up with my own eyes.
At that point, we were greeted by his mother. Her name was Patty, was a woman who looked young to have a twenty-one and a sixteen year old save for some wrinkles around her eyes. She had dark hair and dark eyes and Cole very much resembled her. His sister Kelsey had been in her bedroom and only came out after she was beckoned to.
Already in her pajamas, she barely looked at me.
“Kels, this is Marcy,” Cole said.
“Hi,” I said, as cheerfully as I possibly could.
“Hi,” she said quietly, without looking at me.
After an awkward moment, she went back into her bedroom.
Cole turned to me. “Sorry, she’s shy.”
“That’s okay,” I said, figuring we’d get to know each other more in the coming days. I wanted Kelsey to like me, but I supposed I understood if she wasn’t going to be talkative this late in the evening.
Even though it was almost, Patty kept asking me if I wanted anything to eat.
I told her I was alright and I just needed to shower and go to bed. I was told that Cole would sleep on the couch while I had his room. I noticed what his mother was doing, but I was alright with it for now. Even though we’d technically been dating since July, this was only the third time we’d met in person, and I wasn’t ready to share a bed with him, not yet. Even if that’s all we did.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 24: 15,118 words

Technically have reached my goal and am now a Camp NaNo winner, even if the story's not quite done yet. Still have a few chapters left to go. Uh, past the first hurdle though, and now to write to the end.

Cole makes it big and attracts young female fans. While their relationship remains long distance, Marcy keeps her job at the coffee shop to retain some semblance of normalcy. The paparazzi takes a photo of them kissing and soon Marcy is the envy of every teenage girl in America. Cole is due to come to Minneapolis on tour, so they make plans to meet beforehand and Cole arranges for her to come to the concert.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:49 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 27: 17,281 words - COMPLETE

I've been sitting at my computer for the last 2 hours, and I finished my first draft. The final word count is 17,281, so right in the middle or where I thought I might end up.

I ended up summarizing a lot of the "in between years" of Marcy and Cole's relationship, but I actually think it works rather well, and if anything, I've laid the foundation for future drafts.

I'm going to have A LOT of work to do on this one going forward, because I'm being honest, I don't think this story is up there with my finest work. If anything I like that it's on the shorter side of things, and could be a quick read for people who want to get into a more in depth story but not to commit to a full novel.

But hey, hey at least the hardest part is done! I'm so grateful to Camp NaNo for giving me the motivation to see this through. Time to put it into a box and come back to it when the time it's right.

-- Walt Disney

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 02, 2022 2:18 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

YAY!!! Congrats on finishing Elinor!! Good luck with revisions when the time is right <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane