Young Writers Society

July Camp '22: On Crimson Tides

1503 Reviews

Reviews: 1503
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:51 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Is this the time I finish the novel?

Spoiler alert: probably not. But I'm going to give it a go anyway! This novel was born in November 2020 for that year's NaNo. I managed the 50k, but soon after I changed jobs and had 0 time to dedicate to writing (or anything really, it was miserable).

But I left my crazy job in March and have since been back writing this a little bit... so maybe I have a shot at finishing it in July! There are a lot of bits I like and a lot that I need to edit but my goal is to just get to the end of a draft so I can actually get on and edit it.

The goal
I'm tentatively saying 25k. I think I'm currently at 75k and have about a quarter of the story left to tell so this feels realistic. Then in August perhaps I can start overhauling the first half quarter.

The Plot

On Crimson Tides

Toby Raymond has the perfect life. A loving wife, beautiful children and stunning country home that he's worked long and hard to own. Everything is wonderful for him. Everything, that is, except for the fact that he's dead. And he's pretty sure he's been murdered.

His body is found at sunrise by a jogger on the beach (don’t they always find the dead ones) who trips over a rock and falls head first into decomposing flesh. His scream is heard by the houses nearby and within the hour, the place is swarming with police who are combing the sand and nearby water for evidence.

Detective Joshua Wright is assigned the case and between grumbling about the early hour he manages to talk to their witness, one Noah Taylor. The only problem is he’s pretty sure seeing the corpse has made Noah go off the deep end. He keeps talking about the victim as if he’s still alive and standing right next to them, even though that’s impossible.

But Noah’s insights are somehow surprisingly helpful, and the unlikely duo team up to solve Toby’s murder and arrest his killer. The case takes them on an unexpected journey, one that certainly doesn’t fit with their victim’s lifestyle and the picturesque, coastal town where Toby lived holds far more secrets than meets the eye.

Can Noah resist the charms of Josh and uncover the secrets of Toby Raymond before it's too late, or will his demise become yet another town legend?

Aesthetic
I created a mood board for this too - let's hope it helps with the inspiration!
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-30 144957.png

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:28 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Best of luck Icy! 25k sounds like a good goal, and I like that you've based it on how much of the story you have to tell at your current point.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:42 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Is this the time I finish the novel?

#IBelieve

<3 <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1503 Reviews

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:01 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Update 04/07

After a busy weekend with internet outages due to storms I finally got cracking with some words! Chapter 25 is now finished (although it's a hot mess filled with comments where I need to come back and write better). This next chapter isn't as planned out because it's one that needs to move time along... sometimes I find that easier, sometimes harder so we'll see!

Current word count:
1026/25000

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:25 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Congrats on finishing Chapter 25!! And hope the weather gets better where you're at!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1503 Reviews

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:31 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Update 07/07

I'm in a weird part of the story where I'm not quite sure where I'm going... good luck to future editing Icy! Got some words done today although I'm still behind where I need to be. Hopefully I'll get some more done this evening.

Current word count:
2610/25000

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil