z

Young Writers Society

Way too many starting!

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 am
View Likes
MathisSiddel says...

In the last few weeks it seems to me that there is about two new SB's a DAY. I don't know if this is just because people are getting out of school or what. What makes me mad is people join, leave there profile almost blank, never post, and just let it die out. The plots seem to be redundant also. You are a teen with a super power. The government put you on an island with no way out. Have fun! Not that that is like horrible but a bunch of them are the same! Just join another one actually work at making it a good SB. Don't let it die out. Move the story along. Work together.

Rant is over.

Please post your thoughts!
███████████████!!Story Booker Here!!███████████████

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:50 am
LastPaladin says...

I honestly agree and it's because people don't understand how much commitment you need in them. They think half assed posts are perfectly fine. I even try to make rules make that impossible but they still do it. Lets stick with one of the same idea no more school ones, or ones where vampires and werewolves are in. They're getting old, just old.

Agreed!
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:11 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Moved to the Lounge!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:15 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Sometimes people worry more about having fun with a storybook than being original with it. I know, that's so lame. And the reason they die off is because there's always one person who just sucks at storybooking. They're plain bad. So you can't blame people for not wanting to continue what may be a very, very long commitment if it's going to feel like pulling teeth.

Anywho, take from that what you will. I'm just saying. :|
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 am
Bloo says...

I stopped Story booking during the summer last year, so I' not sure if it spiked then, but Storybooks always tend to be overly active. When new members come its especially so. They see it, and think its cool, and as Knightley said, usually aren't very good. Lots of them die as a result. All of them also get sucked into the fun, and as a result think how cool it would be to have their own, at keep making them. They don't care to check if there are seven copies of it already, they just want to have their own version, which is nothing special.

That is the reason I eventually stopped Storybooking, and now don't do it half as much. And why the ones I have made, have asked the people in advanced, that I know will stay with it, so it will last awhile, and be fun because I know them.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:38 pm
Day says...

I agree completely, but now I feel guilty because I haven't had enough time to post a full length reply to either of the two storybooks I'm in due to studying for finals.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:03 am
MathisSiddel says...

Hey, Day about life. After you get done I would love to start it up again :).
███████████████!!Story Booker Here!!███████████████

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:11 pm
BenFranks says...

I think it's good. There's the odd storybook that lasts, but sometimes they die out because the plot goes rotten. Some people enjoy taking on numerous characters at a time, and it's good to see some varieties of plots brewing even if they are all developed from similar basic settings...

261 Reviews

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Bolt wrote:When new members come its especially so. They see it, and think its cool, and as Knightley said, usually aren't very good.

Oh, I don't mean just new members. Condemning them as generally bad writers would be cruel and pretty mean, actually. I just meant that sometimes you realize that you joined a storybook that has some kind of sucky writer, new member or not, and sometimes that person is the one who created it. And if that person can't really write (yet! :D), and they're calling all the shots on the SB, then some people just want to avoid it. You can't really blame them.

Also, @Mathis: You've been a member of YWS for a month, yet you already seem to have so much perspective. Maybe you should wait a little longer before you try and change/complain about what kind of SB's people are making. ;)
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

39 Reviews

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:37 pm
Bloo says...

Oh, I didn't mean to imply every new member was bad. I know a few who are amazing. Just...a lot of the time, those people who are bad, are new. Not new members are bad, just most of the bad people are new. Like the square rectangle thing.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:06 pm
Lauren2010 says...

This seems a tad harsh, actually. Storybooking ought to be seen more as an exercise in writing rather than a full length collaborative.

Sure a lot of storybooks are created, many have similar plots, many get the writers new to storybooks who may not be as skilled as others. But if storybooks were more focused on training skill: plot development, character development, writing style, and other skills associated with writing then they can be seen as much more successful.

A storybook gives a writer a chance to experiment with characters and style and perspective. I personally believe storybooks have benefited my writing more than anything else, and I've never been in one that lasted for a while and even then not that long.

If the focus is put on getting a story done, then it's less free for experimentation and skill-building.

So, so what if there are a bunch of storybooks starting every day? It gives more chances for people to grow, especially new storybookers who may be intimidated. Storybooks will continue to be created, continue to die, and continue to have a few writers who aren't as skilled as some others.

Instead of complaining about overused plots and "bad" writers, do something constructive. Create new storybooks with different plots and help out writers who are new.

Sorry that was so long :P
Got YWS?

261 Reviews

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Woot! Go Lauren! :D

Lady Gaga

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:41 pm
Sins says...

Mr.Knightley wrote:Woot! Go Lauren! :D

I second that! Go Lauren! 8)
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

39 Reviews

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 pm
Bloo says...

Skins wrote:
Mr.Knightley wrote:Woot! Go Lauren! :D

I second that! Go Lauren! 8)

I fifth that

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm
Jas says...

Hey. I just wanted to say that I agree with all this which makes me a huge hypocrite because I often do the whole "This is awesome! Here's my profile!" then never actually participate. I always thought it was funny how the only storybook I made that lasted longer than two days, Project LIFE, is still going on and I'm not even in it anymore. Lol, I just didn't have time at the moment and by the time, I did have time, the plot was waay ahead of me (Whoa, that was confusing). Yeah, that was off topic. Lol, as Lauren said, Storybooks are for fun and to advance your writing; so there are cliche plots and new ones pop up faster than teenage pregnancies, but come on guys, just have fun. :D
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton