z

Young Writers Society

Tips on Creating Drama

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 pm
Via says...

Just scanning some of the storybooks here, it's easy to tell which storybookers are oldtimers and which are still figuring it our based on the plot and the drama within the storyline. So, here are a few tips for knowing what kind of plot/drama to create, when to create it, and who to create it with.

What Kind

The most important thing to keep in mind when creating drama is to keep it in line with the themes of the book. For example, if your book is all about vampires and werewolves then creating drama that has to do with mermaids is pointless and sidetracking. Storybooks usually do a pretty good job of creating drama within their own devices, and adding unnecessary drama like this is just space filling and accomplishes nothing.

When

Appropriate times include:
-After initial introductions of characters. Let people have a chance to develop their characters and possibly meet with each other before making them fight invisible aliens from Jupiter.
-When the last drama has worn off. Make sure the characters are able to settle down a bit first, but people will get bored without any action and most will not make their own plot-changing drama--that is usualy left up to the owner.
-When the book slows down. There is nothing like a sweet new drama to intrigue peoples interest in it again. And if it doesn't, then oh well...at least you tried!

Inappropriate times include:
-When there is already a major drama underway. Too much drama is just as bad as not enough.
-When it is created simply because you feel like your character is not getting enough attention. Your character will get their turn, but if you try to "out-drama" another character, yours will probably just be ignored.
-When your character has just ended it's battle with another drama it created on it's own. No one likes a drama hog.

With Who

It is best to create drama within characters that are actually being played and are being played well. Creating it within characters who are only mentioned and do not actually belong to anyone is just boring and pointless because no one will pick it up and take themselves into the drama. Equally, character who aren't played consistently or in a well-mannered way will probably not make much of a contribution to the drama. Of course, the latter is exempted if the drama is a storybook-wide drama, then everyone must be involved.

Have fun being dramatic!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 pm
View Likes
Kelcia says...

What about romantic drama? There seems to be quite a lot of it out there.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence