z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 19)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:38 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Ooh those are both great ideas! I think we are due for a Ky/Tomhas scene soon ish but I’d be fine to hop back East if you’re feeling that more strongly!)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Let's go east then! I need a bit of a break from the North)
(Wanna get to the journey or the departure? Maybe we could have them stopping in a village in the South or the East.)
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(I think stopping in a village sounds good!)
(Would you care to set it up? Not sure what arrangements would be)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:28 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sure! Lemme get home and then I'll type up a response)
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Sounds good!)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The town of Kird lay at the very edge of Ess; it was a town accustomed to back and forth travel between the North, the South, and the East. This was because it had the good fortune of being located on the border between the three, nestled at the base of one of the old mountains that divided the continents. The result of this culture mix was a prosperous hub of economic activity as well as comfortable interactions between Northerner, Southerner, and Easterner alike. Wild-bearded Northern fishmongers displayed icy crates full of fat pink salmon; Rhaebaki ambassadors dressed in finery fit for kings played board games outside a shop, cheered on by Akarataran nomads and Austrakan beadsellers; a sharp-faced Essen woman haggled over the price of a necklace with a Rimmian merchant. It was a place where classes mixed, too--inns catering to the rich and the poor were side by side, and in one of the most illustrious ones was where Cairbry Gowan's party was residing.
Silk Filigree Inn was a favorite of the Grand Reputations, when they were traveling. Doubling as a brothel and lodgings, patrons needed not stray far to sate themselves after a long journey. This was exactly what Cairbry was doing now, entertaining two of the inn's many courtesans in the bathhouse just outside the establishment while Shea relaxed in her suite. They had arrived in the late afternoon and were taking time to map out a route according to the weather, which a Northerner they'd passed on the road had predicted would be harsh.
"Strange goings-on up there," she'd said gravely. "Something's shifting."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Rana was over this journey already. But she was enjoying the town, despite herself. Anything to get away from Father. He’d been even more insufferable than usual lately. Or maybe she was just tired and cranky and less willing to put up with his nonsense. It was hard to say.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The suite she had been furnished with, which adjoined Cairbry's own suite but was shared with Lia, was an extravagant affair with heavy curtains of crushed velvet and a king-sized bed covered in a light but durable set of blankets. There were several chairs strategically placed around the suite as well, and a private bath was set in one room. A bell allowed servants and attendants to be called with the pull of a rope.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Lia had all but dove into the bath as soon as they got there and hadn’t emerged yet.

Rana paced by the window, hungry, wondering when they’d eat dinner.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The market was visible from the window; it consisted primarily of outdoor booths and stands. The weather was warmer here than in the East or the North, though not as unpleasantly arid as in the northeast of the Southern Realm. There were a few rare Far Northern tribespeople wandering through the area, studying the objects for sale. Packs were slung over their shoulders, and they looked strangely naked in the light clothes they wore compared to the book illustrations of thick bearskin jackets and heavy boots. Tattoos adorned their faces and bare arms.
Not far beyond them were some grim-looking Orthoan priests dressed in the standard black of Lady Owyn's Order, clutching their book satchels and gazing around with distrust at the market's bustle.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:15 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Rana decided she’d had enough of being cooped up and got some coins from her purse then started for the door.

“Rana?” Lia called. “Where are you going?”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“You can’t just leave me!”

“You’ll be fine.” She opened the door.

“Father will be cross!”

“So what? He’s always cross.” She slipped outside and shut the door behind her.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

A passing servant stopped almost immediately. "Anything I can help you with, miss?" she asked with a light Totallisan accent.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:23 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Um… anything you’d recommend locally? I want to stretch my legs.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly, miss! Are you looking for a bite to eat, or perhaps something to buy? Entertainment, goods, fortune telling?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:28 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“… any of that sounds good.” She thought for a moment. “How much does the fortune telling cost?”

[they/he]

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown